Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Proof Set Cancelled Check

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 4, 2022 5:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I bought a run of Proof sets (1956-1983) and the envelopes and boxes are in excellent shape. It appears the sellers were the relatives of the original owners. I have seen invoices where collector's have bought coins, but I had never seen the original cancelled check to the Bureau of the Mint. It is a 1976 6 piece set and the check was written in November 1975 to purchase it. I blacked out the last name and part of the checking account number.
The check is below.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're making a lot of us feel old. :/

That's how you bought them back then. There were tens or hundreds of thousands of those checks written every year, but how many survive? 🤔

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow really interesting piece of history.

I actually never knew that they used to send checks back to you till I was helping my grandfather clean out some stuff one day and saw that they used to send the cashed checks back to you. I'm used to see them photocopied in bank statements now.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've recycled a few of those checks. Collectors tend to save everything.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I've recycled a few of those checks.

I shredded more than a few when I moved twelve years ago. At the time, I regretted not accepting the bank's earlier offer to not return them to me.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I've recycled a few of those checks.

I shredded more than a few when I moved twelve years ago. At the time, I regretted not accepting the bank's earlier offer to not return them to me.

Stamp guys do it even more frequently. Keep the checks with the items purchased. I bet they don't complain about 1099s. They probably demand one.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss getting my original checks back.

Years ago when I actively collected baseballs signed by Hall of Famers through the mail, I'd pay the requisite fee with a personal check and get an added bonus of the endorsed checks returned with my monthly bank statements.

I also have my personal checks endorsed by Jimmy Carter and (now Saint) Mother Teresa.

Modernization of the check processing system has meant that the paper checks usually get destroyed during processing after either being imaged or transformed into an electronic debit. Cancelled checks are now historic relics of our monetary system.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s really cool. Love old original documents like that.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda cool!!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Can you imagine how....., well, slow the world used to be?

Can you imagine the poor shmoes at Amazon's bank sorting and routing all the checks they'd receive in a day if we were stuck with that old system?

Trying to get to Cleveland? Go buy some maps and start driving. Need a hotel along the way? Stop in and look for the neon "Vacancy" sign in the window.

Well, it really wasn't quite like that. The banks sent all their checks to clearinghouses which eventually had dedicated flights to get them to the destination bank overnight. I have no idea how they managed this before pre-printed checks.

No, you write AAA and they send you a TripTyk, (sp?) which was a series of maps for your route with it highlighted. Many people choose hotels the same way today, but the prepared wrote (later called) for reservations.

I understand that around the middle of the century (maybe 1930 to 1960??) there was a publication which listed people in various towns and cities who would rent rooms to Black travelers.

And now I feel old.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@BryceM said:
    Can you imagine how....., well, slow the world used to be?

Can you imagine the poor shmoes at Amazon's bank sorting and routing all the checks they'd receive in a day if we were stuck with that old system?

Trying to get to Cleveland? Go buy some maps and start driving. Need a hotel along the way? Stop in and look for the neon "Vacancy" sign in the window.

Well, it really wasn't quite like that. The banks sent all their checks to clearinghouses which eventually had dedicated flights to get them to the destination bank overnight. I have no idea how they managed this before pre-printed checks.

No, you write AAA and they send you a TripTyk, (sp?) which was a series of maps for your route with it highlighted. Many people choose hotels the same way today, but the prepared wrote (later called) for reservations.

I understand that around the middle of the century (maybe 1930 to 1960??) there was a publication which listed people in various towns and cities who would rent rooms to Black travelers.

And now I feel old.

The book you may be referencing to in your last paragraph may be "The Green Book". There was a movie about it within the last 2 years. I saw the movie.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Oh, the days of wine and roses. And milk chutes and black and white tv's with knobs. Yes !

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not feel old.... however, I am old. I remember most of those things noted in previous posts... Rabbit ear TV antennas - often with aluminum foil attached to the tips, telephones where you told the operator the number, and she connected you, penny candy at the store, five cent candy bars and ice cream cones. Oh yeah... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Your guys kill me! :D

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    It wasn't all fun and games back then. We had to walk to school, and it was uphill, both ways to and from. And it was always in the snow, even in the summer.

But kids were tougher back then. :p

You had it easy. We had to roller skate to school-uphill. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Revisiting this thread! :D

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    It wasn't all fun and games back then. We had to walk to school, and it was uphill, both ways to and from. And it was always in the snow, even in the summer.

But kids were tougher back then. :p

My dad who grew up in the 1920's in rural Iowa often talked about walking 5 miles to the one room country school in snow up to his waist. One summer we visited the old farm and saw the school, across the road from the farm. Lesson: take some things with a grain of salt.

• Options

@BryceM said:

I do miss the AAA, spiral bound, Triptiks. As a kid I remember an entire trip from MI to GA my sister and I sat in the back of my dad's Avanti and did nothing but trace our route and read every single nearby attraction from the open up pages. Kids now can't go 2 minutes without having something to do on their ipads or phones.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat item B)

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do miss the AAA, spiral bound, Triptiks. As a kid I remember an entire trip from MI to GA my sister and I sat in the back of my dad's Avanti and did nothing but trace our route and read every single nearby attraction from the open up pages. Kids now can't go 2 minutes without having something to do on their ipads or phones.

I miss those things also...they had a lot of fun information and were easy to use. Personally I would rather use that then Waze for longer trips, sort of more relaxing and 'we will get there when we get there' vs. Waze which I am always checking to see how close I am to their estimated arrival time.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this was how you advertised your business and found everything you needed- let your fingers do the walking!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file