Home Precious Metals
Options

A Tale of Ten Twenty's

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stumbled into a small group of six Perth Mint 20oz silver bars recently. It puts my small collection of 20's at a total of ten. These don't come available all that often so finding a half dozen at once was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

I really like the old logo (left facing swan) and three of this newly acquired group are of the newer style logo with the right facing swan. My guess is I'll sell off the newer bars as I find old logo bars to replace them in the collection.

All Engelhard lists the population of the newer bars at less than one hundred. They don't have any data on the population of the older style bars. In the past few years I've come across more of the old bars than the new bars, probably close to four times more. Based off that small observation I'll assume there are fewer of the newer bars than the older ones. We all know what assumptions get you though, so who really knows which is more common...

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice collection :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how you stumble on that many vintage bars of the same make... someone in your area must have had a bunch at a time when they were plentiful. I know in my area, the days of finding vintage bars in the wild are long gone, every shop and every stacker knows the premiums they can bring and getting them over the counter and affordable is next to impossible anymore.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, love me some Perth metal. I have a newer 10 that I got at the Atlanta ANA, only one I've ever seen around here.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice group of big silver bars. I have only some one ounce novelty bars, and lots of coins. Never tried the large bars... Might consider one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator.... Thanks for the comparative picture. I like the 20oz. even more now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2022 8:35AM

I’ll have to see what direction my hallmark is facing!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options

@WildIdea said:
    I’ll have to see what direction my hallmarks are facing!

Let us know when you do so we can add numbers to our tiny survey.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:

@WildIdea said:
    I’ll have to see what direction my hallmarks are facing!

Let us know when you do so we can add numbers to our tiny survey.

It’s left facing…

• Options

Nice, thanks. One more small data point possibly indicating that left facing is more common than right facing. Perhaps Perth cancelled the 20 ounce bar program shortly after the logo change. I see tons of right facing logo Kg's and 10oz's, at least when compared to the 20's.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a kilo bar and 3-10 oz, but no vintage.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members