Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New card submission and possible upcharge.

mwbaldwin05mwbaldwin05 Posts: 16

I have a card that if graded highly could be worth a lot of money. Has anyone had to deal with a severe upcharge? I plan on doing the walkthrough grading which is expensive enough, but if I get upcharges I won’t be able to afford that. Anyone have any thought on that? I could use some advice.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2022 1:05PM

Are you planning to PC it or sell it? If you are grading to sell, send it through Goldin (or really any auction house) and they will cover the grading costs, or at least deduct them from the sale. If you aren't selling, then what can we tell you? You've got to pay to play! Otherwise, you could say you don't want to pay, and they will send the card back ungraded and keep the walk-through fee!

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

What's the card?

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@mwbaldwin05 said:
    I have a card that if graded highly could be worth a lot of money. Has anyone had to deal with a severe upcharge? I plan on doing the walkthrough grading which is expensive enough, but if I get upcharges I won’t be able to afford that. Anyone have any thought on that? I could use some advice.

PSA would love for you to count on the highest possible grade when submitting your cards...

OR

Be extremely conservative (just like they will with your grades) and let them upcharge you if necessary. They will surely never let an upcharge go to waste and 9 times out of 10 you will save the fees.

If you truly believe you have a unique and special card that requires a large upfront grading fee, send it to an auction house and let them post the fees.

• Options

Don’t take this the wrong way but historically anyone asking this question has not had to worry about the up charge. Hope it works out for you

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    Don’t take this the wrong way but historically anyone asking this question has not had to worry about the up charge. Hope it works out for you

I seen somewhat similar questions for 90 Fleer Jordon, 90 Fleer Frank Thomas, 89 UD Griffey, 90 Score Aikman

Be nice if its something like a 1914 Cracker Jack Jackson , T206 Cobb (any background color), 1933 Goudey Ruth

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

Yea umm it’s a 72 Topps Julius Erving Rookie All-Star #255
    Perfectly centered front and back (used the micrometer on it). No yellowing of the white whatsoever. All 4 corners sharpe and at a 90^ angle. It’s the most beautiful 70’s card I’ve ever seen. THAT is why I’m scared of the upcharge….because I know what the last 9 and 10 sold for at auction. I’ve been paying on Medical bills from where I was in the hospital over the summer and don’t have the back up funds to cover it.

• Options
    edited November 3, 2022 7:20PM

@mwbaldwin05 said:

Perfectly centered front and back (used the micrometer on it). No yellowing of the white whatsoever. All 4 corners sharpe and at a 90^ angle. It’s the most beautiful 70’s card I’ve ever seen. THAT is why I’m scared of the upcharge….because I know what the last 9 and 10 sold for at auction. I’ve been paying on Medical bills from where I was in the hospital over the summer and don’t have the back up funds to cover it.

It's trimmed :wink: Post a pic, we'll give you a reality check :smile:

First off, a PSA 10 sells for $25K, so even at the walk-through $600 price, if you get a PSA 10 you are going to get upcharged to Premium 1 (so $400 more). But if you only get a PSA 9, then you have thrown away $500, since a PSA 9 goes for $1.2k, which would be a $100 grading cost at Regular Level. I I don't see a reason to submit at the $600 level when you will either owe more, or will have overpaid! If you can't afford to pay $400 more if it 10's, how on earth can you afford to pay $600 if it doesn't?

You never said if you intention is to sell it or keep it.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@mwbaldwin05 said:

It's trimmed :wink: Post a pic, we'll give you a reality check :smile:

First off, a PSA 10 sells for $25K, so even at the walk-through $600 price, if you get a PSA 10 you are going to get upcharged to Premium 1 (so $400 more). But if you only get a PSA 9, then you have thrown away $500, since a PSA 9 goes for $1.2k, which would be a $100 grading cost at Regular Level. I I don't see a reason to submit at the $600 level when you will either owe more, or will have overpaid! If you can't afford to pay $400 more if it 10's, how on earth can you afford to pay $600 if it doesn't?

You never said if you intention is to sell it or keep it.

Not saying it is and i hope it's not, but its starting to look very phish-y

• Options
    edited November 3, 2022 7:47PM

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

Not saying it is and i hope it's not, but its starting to look very phish-y

With all the "medical bills" talk, you'd think he was grading a 72 Dr. J #195!

• Options

Not that it’s any of your business but I had a heart failure this summer and those hospital charges aren’t cheap so until I can get back to working again, I can’t afford surprises. Why the hell is that phishy?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8o1hapwjiyyntv/72 Topps Erving Rookie?dl=0

• Options

You can kiss my ass about my medical bills. No one here thinks your funny for joking about me not having money to pay for something after almost dying.

• Options
    edited November 3, 2022 9:34PM

@mwbaldwin05 said:
    Not that it’s any of your business but I had a heart failure this summer and those hospital charges aren’t cheap so until I can get back to working again, I can’t afford surprises. Why the hell is that phishy?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8o1hapwjiyyntv/72 Topps Erving Rookie?dl=0

To save everyone the trouble of clicking the link....... Here's his big Phish!!! I say PSA 8 tops! Off-Center and Tilted...

• Options

You won’t be here much longer so keep talking. I’ve hit it with the micrometer. It’s on point. Not interested in you anymore and won’t respond anymore. I came for an answer to a question and you have berated me from every angle and been a top notch representative of PSA. 👏

• Options
    edited November 3, 2022 9:44PM

@mwbaldwin05 said:
    You won’t be here much longer so keep talking. I’ve hit it with the micrometer. It’s on point. Not interested in you anymore and won’t respond anymore. I came for an answer to a question and you have berated me from every angle and been a top notch representative of PSA. 👏

I think you are mistaking pointing out reality with berating.... As for being a top notch PSA rep, based on what they pay me, which is zero, I'm the toppest notchest rep!

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

If you look at the left and right side near the top of the card, it is clearly not center left to right and there is a tilt. Look at the right border how it is narrower at the bottom and wider at the top. The photo is not crisp, so it's impossible to tell anything about the corners, but I have to agree that it's a PSA 8. What is on the left side of the top border? There appears to be a pink stain. Is that on the card. Again, I think the card may fetch an 8, but it could easily go 7 even 6 depending on the items we can't see well from the blurry picture.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

I guess I was pretty accurate with my post. If you came here for advice, the best advice I can give you is to sub at the value level for $30 bucks. That will be your best return not spending $600 on walk through. No way that card grades over an 8 which is a couple hundred dollar card. Even if it graded a 9 I doubt you would get up charged from the value service.

What is the current grade and with what company?

• Options
    edited November 4, 2022 4:44AM

Off center and angled - less than zero chance at 10 based on than alone. Likely an 8

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the card has already been graded. What is the current grade?

• Options

But I was trying not to let that determine “anyone who’s been helpful” what people would think of the card.

• Options

seems you weren't trying to get any help. who is it graded a 10 by? it has 0% chance of being a 10 by PSA but you have all the answers. spend $600 for walkthrough service and let us know how it works. if you get a 10 and can't cover the up charge, I am sure the board would take up a collection to cover it for you until you can flip it. good luck

• Options

I will never use PSA. Ever. The way I’ve been talked down to and treated instead of just conversing is sad. I don’t know how you people live like this. I’ll take my business elsewhere. They aren’t worth your trouble.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping this just about the card, as some have stated, the card is most likely no better than an 8 due to the tilt. None of the big 3, recognized graders are going to grade that card a 10.
    You stated it is in a 10 holder now. I would guess that it is already graded by a "lower tier" tpg... Gem, KSA, etc. Many of those graders will slab just about every card a 10 so their customers are happy.
    If you decide to crack and grade, use PSA, SGC or BGS but don't pay I high grading fee as it won't be worth it.

Best of luck with your card and your health issues.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mwbaldwin05 said:
    I will never use PSA. Ever. The way I’ve been talked down to and treated instead of just conversing is sad. I don’t know how you people live like this. I’ll take my business elsewhere. They aren’t worth your trouble.

LMAO nobody who has replied to you works for PSA or is affiliated with them in any way.

With that said, somebody above gave you great advice. This card will not get a 10, so if you’re paying for walk thru service you’re overpaying. With PSA 9 prices what they are, you should only pay $100 in grading fees.

And you still haven’t answered what company gave that card a 10.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2022 8:38AM

@mwbaldwin05 said:
    But I was trying not to let that determine “anyone who’s been helpful” what people would think of the card.

@mwbaldwin05 said:

So that you know, no one who has responded in this thread works for PSA. They are posters, but they are telling you the truth that it is most likely not a PSA 9 or 10 bud. If it is, they certainly wouldn't upcharge you to the level you were originally thinking. They honestly might have laughed if you paid for the walkthrough service and I am not trying to be harsh. I am saying absolutely don't pay for that BS, get your PSA 8, and be elated that the forum saved you from wasting $600+ more... PSA hopes the submitter's greed and ego lead them to pay more while PSA grades inferiorly to their assumptions.

Sorry to hear about your medical situation.

• Options

@mwbaldwin05 said:

the internet sure does bring out a lot of strange conversations. this one is up there at the top.

1 )come to the board prophesying that you one has a monster card that may require a huge upcharge and requires walkthrough $600 service just to start
    2) get some questions and feedback then say you can't afford the upcharge
    3) post a card that is already graded from a second tier grading company that has no chance at a psa 10
    4) insult everyone for giving you honest feedback that will save you from yourself of wasting $600 on a walkthrough sub
    5) then say you will never use PSA , ever!

the internet is a curious place

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

All 10s aren't the same. Maybe some 10s are worth 8s graded by PSA, and you won't lose any return on your sale. I hope that's the case. I also wouldn't let any perceived 'insult' let my ego get in the way of making extra dollars. Especially, if extra dollars can mean a lot to my current situation.

Though everyone should be able to sell their own property for less than they can get for it for whatever reason they feel is important. I'm sure the buyer will appreciate that.

• Options

@mwbaldwin05 said:

the internet sure does bring out a lot of strange conversations. this one is up there at the top.

1 )come to the board prophesying that you one has a monster card that may require a huge upcharge and requires walkthrough $600 service just to start
    2) get some questions and feedback then say you can't afford the upcharge
    3) post a card that is already graded from a second tier grading company that has no chance at a psa 10
    4) insult everyone for giving you honest feedback that will save you from yourself of wasting $600 on a walkthrough sub
    5) then say you will never use PSA , ever!

the internet is a curious place

6) Came to a PSA forum asking about PSA upcharges when he doesn't like PSA, has never submitted to PSA, and never plans to use PSA. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

@mwbaldwin05 said:
    See now you have it all twisted. I stated from the start that I couldn’t afford it….go check. I’ll wait. I didn’t owe any explanation as to why. Instead of being told like the gentleman above you how things may go, people like you come in here and feel big about running your mouth to someone who has been doing this for 30+ years but never submitted to PSA because I prefer SGA. But since this is going in an auction I know that PSA will bring more bottom dollar.
    Then we had people taking tactful jabs at my medical condition and accusations of trimming the card.
    I know that none of you actually represent PSA professionally, but if this is the type of people that PSA attracts…I don’t want any part of it. I’ll stick with SGA and take my chances. At least there, EVERYONE treats me with respect.
    So I will be bold enough to leave on this; ( and thank you to “secret stash” I respect you’re entire post) I won’t respond to any other comments, hell I may even delete it. But my next post will be included with a picture of my 1972 Topps Julius Erving All-Star #255 graded as a 10. I CAN promis you that. 😘

You have already shown us a picture of a 1972 Erving graded graded a 10, right? But, not graded by PSA. I'm not sure why you aren't thankful that we saved you $600. You were going to send this in for $600 and everyone here has basically said that you can send it in for much cheaper and get the same results. Also, who is SGA? Do you mean SGC? I would think that if you've submitted with SGC for 30 years you could already see the flaws in your card. First time graders have a very diffcult time seeing flaws in their cards. I was that way too.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

What the F is SGA???? And by the way, PSA attracts intelligent and informed individuals.. As for SGA, well.... And I never said your card was trimmed, it was a joke, as there was a winky face next to the comment. :#

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

PSA 6 Chaz

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 12:01PM

I keep hoping for our friend, MOD, to weigh in! This could yield a good post!

• Options

@mwbaldwin05 said:
    See now you have it all twisted. I stated from the start that I couldn’t afford it….go check. I’ll wait. I didn’t owe any explanation as to why. Instead of being told like the gentleman above you how things may go, people like you come in here and feel big about running your mouth to someone who has been doing this for 30+ years but never submitted to PSA because I prefer SGA. But since this is going in an auction I know that PSA will bring more bottom dollar.
    Then we had people taking tactful jabs at my medical condition and accusations of trimming the card.
    I know that none of you actually represent PSA professionally, but if this is the type of people that PSA attracts…I don’t want any part of it. I’ll stick with SGA and take my chances. At least there, EVERYONE treats me with respect.
    So I will be bold enough to leave on this; ( and thank you to “secret stash” I respect you’re entire post) I won’t respond to any other comments, hell I may even delete it. But my next post will be included with a picture of my 1972 Topps Julius Erving All-Star #255 graded as a 10. I CAN promis you that. 😘

uh, OK... next

• Options

now I see why it is a 10 ;)

SGA grading
    https://sga.ai/products/grain/

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

now I see why it is a 10 ;)

SGA grading
    https://sga.ai/products/grain/

OMG, I actually clicked on that link and almost spit out my wine.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

If that card is worth less than $500 in a PSA 8, then use the $30 service. I would submit it as if it was a PSA 8, if it happens to get a PSA 9, then you owe $70 extra. Since the card is tilted and not centered, a PSA 8 would be the best realistic result you can expect. This advice was already given, but I am also weighing in for what it's worth.

Card grading and evaluation takes years of learning and careful practice. It is a humbling experience too. I do not wish to give you a hard time, just wanting to offer my 2 cents as an experienced collector who has submitted to PSA and have gotten a 10 before. PSA 10's are rare. A lot of cards that seem perfect often do get 9's. Never submit a card to PSA and pay the grading fee as if its a PSA 10. That is too difficult to determine even with seasoned collectors.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this issue has been viewed by all useful angles and some not as beneficial.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.