Home U.S. Coin Forum

Latest Farran Zerbe satirical medals . . . by Daniel Carr

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ran across a new satirical medal in the wee hours of the morning today.

Being a fan of the satirical medals surrounding the Elder / Zerbe 1909 ANA elections and feud, this one was particularly attractive. Based on an Elder medal lampooning Zerbe (DeLorey-70), this medal commissioned by Douglas Ward in defense of Farran Zerbe and to protest the ANA’s 2021 removal of Zerbe’s name from the ANA’s highest numismatic award just had to become part of my collection.

Minted by Daniel Carr / Moonlight Mint, it was produced in limited numbers in both copper and silver. There are two separate medals which share a common obverse.

Medal #1 features the DeLorey-70-esq obverse with a "Zerbe Tales" reverse.

Medal #2 features the DeLorey-70-esq obverse with a "16 to 1 Non Cents" reverse.

These were minted during July of this year (2022) and just seemed to hit the streets. Mintage is stated to be limited to 19 each of the silver and 74 each of the copper. Even thought cash flow is tight, I had to grab a couple of these.

Awesome design Dan and Doug!

I look forward to getting them in hand. Will post my own photos when they arrive . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had you not identified it as a Dan Carr creation, I wouldn’t have known. It just looks different than most of his stuff. The “dancing jackass” does show the type of rounded engraving often seen on some of his original designs, though.

That said, these are interesting pieces. They will fit in well in a collection of Dan Carr items!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2022 6:37AM

This quite appropriate use of my DeLorey number makes me wonder when the standard reference of Dan Carr issues is going to come out, so that pieces can be certified by Carr-numbers.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2022 6:28AM

This thread caused me to google F. Zerbe. Refreshed my memory and learned a few other points.
    https://coinweek.com/education/farran-zerbe-numismatist-promoter-hustler/
    Cheers, RickO

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    This quite appropriate use of my DeLorey number makes me wonder when the standard reference of Dan Car issues is going to come out, so that pieces can be certified by Carr-numbers.

since we've seen new systems being started and some being re-vamped, it is certainly quite feasable and kinda surprising it hasn't been done yet.

the lack of use of wikipedia like vamworld does for various other studies is pretty shocking. i'm kinda surprised i didn't start 1 or 2. it is (was?) a great submission platform where the power is in numbers. (of people) whereas one individual or even a team could easily get bogged down with all the work and regular life duties combined.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been plugging in a few of Daniel Carr and Ron Landis's pieces into Tokencatalog.com as time and the inclination permits.

Dan has his own production blog pages which are quite useful as well. Each of his pieces gets its own catalog number and parenthetical notes where appropriate.

Z

@CaptHenway said:
    This quite appropriate use of my DeLorey number makes me wonder when the standard reference of Dan Car issues is going to come out, so that pieces can be certified by Carr-numbers.

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@CaptHenway said:

since we've seen new systems being started and some being re-vamped, it is certainly quite feasable and kinda surprising it hasn't been done yet.

the lack of use of wikipedia like vamworld does for various other studies is pretty shocking. i'm kinda surprised i didn't start 1 or 2. it is (was?) a great submission platform where the power is in numbers. (of people) whereas one individual or even a team could easily get bogged down with all the work and regular life duties combined.

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I've been plugging in a few of Daniel Carr and Ron Landis's pieces into Tokencatalog.com as time and the inclination permits.

Dan has his own production blog pages which are quite useful as well. Each of his pieces gets its own catalog number and parenthetical notes where appropriate.

Z

LOVELY!

i'll have to dig into the site here soon. nice work. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

LOVELY!

i'll have to dig into the site here soon. nice work. :)

Just search for "Daniel Carr". You'll see my meager contributions to date. There are more Ron Landis additions due to his longevity and the lack of an online record like Dan's.

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file