Home Precious Metals
Options

How Much Silver To Be In The Top 1% / 5% / 20% Of All Stackers?

I just watched an interesting video of someone trying to figure out how much silver you need to be in the top 20%, 5%, and 1% of all silver stackers in the world. He did make some assumptions but what he did to figure this out seemed plausible.

It basically worked out to this:
To be in the top 20% of all silver stackers, you need around 50 oz of silver.
To be in the top 5% of all silver stackers, you need around 150 oz of silver.
To be in the top 1% of all silver stackers, you need around 500 oz of silver.

Just curious what you all thought.

Comments

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the video ... kind of an interesting way to calculate ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vthprFLyPNY

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to try and figure it out right now but his results seem off to me, JMO
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gut feel only... I think to hit the top 20%, a lot more than 50oz. would be necessary. I do not consider myself a large silver stacker, but I would pass that level very easily... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

500 oz to be in the top 1%? That number seems low as that is only around $15,000 worth. One single monster box. I mean we are only counting those that have some silver to begin with. If someone has been collecting for years and decades, that number is not hard to achieve.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a pyramid scheme too me :o

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Global numbers, totally legit...

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    500 oz to be in the top 1%? That number seems low as that is only around $15,000 worth. One single monster box. I mean we are only counting those that have some silver to begin with. If someone has been collecting for years and decades, that number is not hard to achieve.

$15,000 worth? Try $9.500 worth. less than an I-Bond transaction. They don't call it gutter for nothing. LOL

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@DeutscherGeist said:

$15,000 worth? Try $9.500 worth. less than an I-Bond transaction. They don't call it gutter for nothing. LOL

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@DeutscherGeist said:

"They" don't call it "gutter". Only you do.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2022 11:49PM

$15,000 worth? Try $9.500 worth. less than an I-Bond transaction.

Please reveal where I can buy a monster box of silver eagles for $9,500 and I will buy it right now. Maybe 3 of them. Or 4.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Monster box. $9,500. I'm still waiting. Do tell! Where can I buy one for $9,500?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those numbers seem small. although I suppose the vast, vast majority of people have a handful of "silver" dollars and never even consider stacking.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2022 3:08PM

He makes a series of assumptions based on reasonable facts, and extrapolates based on those facts and some additional assumptions:
    1) How much silver is there in the world
    2) Subtract how much is owned by nations and large corporations
    3) This gives us the amount of silver that can be owned by "ordinary" people
    4) How many adults in the world who likely own some silver

He the applies the "Pareto Principle", which states that within a given population, 20% of the subjects are responsible for 80% of the outcomes.

In this case, he's using the Patero principle to imply that the top 20% of individual silver owners in the world own 80% of the available silver.

From there it's just straightforward math. 80% of the silver that can be owned by individuals is owned by the top 20% of those individuals. That top 20% figure equals about 50 ounces. And to be in the top 5%, you need about 150 ounces. To be in the top 1%, you need about 500 ounces.

Some faults with his logic:

We don't know that the Pareto Principle actually applies here. It's not a hard and fast rule, it's just an assumption.
    Also, the figures about what is owned by corporations necessarily includes corporations that are owned solely by individuals--even individuals who have set up those corporations exclusively to be stewards of large precious metals holdings.

But the biggest flaw I can find is that he makes the assumption that all silver not owned by nations or corporations is necessarily owned by individuals. I have local dealers who own 100 times more silver than I do. And I know there are other regional and national businesses that are either not corporations or that would fall under what is seen as "large" corporations, who own 100 times more silver than my local dealer does. However, that would mean there are even fewer ounces of silver to divide between average stackers, so the amount you'd need to be in the top 10% or 5% or 1% might be significantly lower than what he's saying. Maybe 100 ounces to be in the top 1%?
    Now I'm the one making assumptions. :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Monster box. $9,500. I'm still waiting. Do tell! Where can I buy one for $9,500?

Silver is available in forms other than Silver Eagles....

• Options

blitzdude says I can get a box of silver eagles for $9,500 and I'd like to know where. I'm just asking for clarification of an outrageous claim so that we can get better information in this blog.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@Treeman said:

@jmski52 said:

Some people grasp that fact but it appears others believe APMEX ASEs are the only form of gutter that exists. Crazy World! RGDS!!

• Options

Some people grasp that fact but it appears others believe APMEX ASEs are the only form of gutter that exists. Crazy World! RGDS!!

Some people make outrageous claims and then can't back them up with documentation. Kinda like saying that they can buy a monster box of ASEs for $9,500 when it's obvious that he's just blowing smoke for no particular reason.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

You're like a parrot that learned your first words; ASE, ASE, ASE. For crying out loud nobody's talkin bout ASEs cept U.....well U and the fantasy APMEX premium guy. Expand your mind, go out there and purchase yourself some cheaper gutter. LOL

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had been asked to guess the percentages for just the folks who regularly post here on the PCGS precious metals thread I would have guessed as follows:

To be in the top 20% of all PCGS forum stackers, you need around 500 oz of silver.
    To be in the top 5% of all PCGS forum stackers, you need around 1500 oz of silver.
    To be in the top 1% of all PCGS forum stackers, you need around 5000 oz of silver.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treeman said:

@jmski52 said:

I'll take 500 oz for 9500$.
    Guttter ?
    It's a visual thing
    G LI T T E R.

It is glitter, actually. Dip it and see.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all us precious metal bulls, those are very sad (very low ounce requirements) results.

No wonder metal prices (especially silver) haven't moved much.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    For all us precious metal bulls, those are very sad (very low ounce requirements) results.

No wonder metal prices (especially silver) haven't moved much.

It's some dudes youtube video. Not like its reality.............oh wait but apparently to many it is. Man, when did the de-evolution of the human race begin? I suspect it must of been sometime around Y2K. RGDS!

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache Was thinking the same thing.

Even Blitz is/has been a 1%.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

My LCS owner keeps his own stash. He has over 200 monster boxes. He is definitely in the 1%.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@meluaufeet said:
    @JohnnyCache Was thinking the same thing.

Even Blitz is/has been a 1%.

That's how I roll. Loving me the SLV. RGDS!