Home Sports Talk
Options

Only one team can stop the Bills

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent article.

There's only 1 team that can stop the Bills from winning the Super Bowl and it's not the Chiefs or Eagles

We’re now just one game away from being through 8 weeks of the 2022 NFL season and one thing has become very clear so far – when it comes to Super Bowl favorites, it’s the Buffalo Bills and then everyone else.

In fact, there’s only one team right now that can stop Josh Allen and Co. from bringing the first Lombardi Trophy home to a fanbase that will throw the biggest party ever if it ever happens and it’s not the Kansas City Chiefs, who got in their way last year.

It’s not the Philadelphia Eagles, either, who improved to 7-0 yesterday with a victory over the Steelers thanks to a huge game from A.J. Brown, who got called for the coolest taunting penalty of the season in the win.

It’s also not the Dallas Cowboys, who are 6-2 and have one of the best defenses in the league.

You know who it is. I know who it is. We all know who it is.

It’s the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills are the only team that can stop the Bills from winning it all and that was on full display once again Sunday night when they toyed with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers before winning the game 27-17.

After jumping out to a big lead, the Bills scored just three points in the second half and looked quite average for most of the final 30 minutes. Allen threw two sloppy interceptions and their defense allowed the Packers to run the ball pretty well at points.

But in the end that all didn’t really matter because the Bills were never in jeopardy of losing the game to a Packers team that is now 3-5 and in grave danger of having their season slip completely away.

The Bills are so good that this season has become Super Bowl or bust for them. Seriously, anything short of a championship should be considered a bad season for a team that could have won it last year if not for those 11 seconds against the Chiefs.

The Bills’ offense is one of the best offenses we’ve seen in a while. Allen has all the weapons he needs around him and then when those guys aren’t available on a play he can just take off and run like a beast and pick up huge first downs and more. I don’t know how defenses are going to figure out a way to stop them the rest of of the season.

Speaking of defenses, Buffalo’s is the best in the league and one of the deepest, too, which only makes their overall dominance all the more understandable and impressive.

The rest of the teams in the NFL are looking up at the Bills and it will likely remain that way until February, when Buffalo should have a chance to do something that would turn that beautiful city in Western New York upside down.

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

and Injuries.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

And a loss of momentum.

More than other sports, football is a sport where teams have ebbs and flows. In 2008, the Patriots almost ran the table. They played a tough regular schedule, which was much tougher and two games longer than the one the 1972 Miami Dolphins played. They survived the play-offs all the way to Super Bowl where the New York Giants upset them.

The season is less than half over. Anything could happen. The Bills could get tired or lose focus. They have played like a great team, but they have to sustain it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said: and Injuries.

The Buffalo Bills are certainly the pretty clear best team in the NFL, but they're one play away from being average. That's what I don't like about the NFL right now, the best teams are all dependent on the play of the QB and the drop-off to his replacement is huge.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills played down to the Packers in the 2nd half. Allen made a few bonehead plays I haven’t seen since 2018 and wasn’t accurate at all. They need to get back to that killer instinct or another second half like Sunday is going to bite them in the a$$.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great article and pretty much all facts

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

This article would be okay if the Bills had actually won any important games the last 3 years.
    The Chiefs have knocked them out of the playoffs the last 2 years.
    Time to quit hyping Josh Allen so much when he hasn't accomplished anything yet.
    If the Bills and Josh Allen are the real deal, then for crying out loud at least get to a Super Bowl this year.
    But if they get beat before reaching the SB, then it wasn't themselves that beat them, it will again be
    a superior team who performed better under pressure than Buffalo.

• Options

@Darin said:
    This article would be okay if the Bills had actually won any important games the last 3 years.
    Time to quit hyping Josh Allen so much when he hasn't accomplished anything yet.
    If the Bills and Josh Allen are the real deal, then for crying out loud at least get to a Super Bowl this year.
    But if they get beat before reaching the SB, then it wasn't themselves that beat them, it will again be

It wasn’t Josh Allen hype that took the lead last year with 13 seconds left. It was Josh Allen. Just because they lost had no bearing on Allen’s performance. They lost I get it but it was far from his fault. Playing 5 straight games in Kansas City is some kind of scheduling fluke and guess what? They play in Kansas City again next year according to the future schedule. Hopefully Kansas City will make it to the championship game and it will be in Buffalo.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

lets not downplay Allen here. in todays NFL, he is, without doubt, the most dominant force. no one is better right now.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@2dueces said: Playing 5 straight games in Kansas City is some kind of scheduling fluke and guess what? They play in Kansas City again next year according to the future schedule. Hopefully Kansas City will make it to the championship game and it will be in Buffalo.

I was thinking that same thing a while back. It seems that every time I get a Chiefs game that's really a "biggee" they're at home. I remember the announcers mentioning the five games when these teams played last and the fact that KC hasn't played a playoff game on the road since forever. Kudos to them for that but it makes me wonder what they'd be like in a road playoff game up north where there's wind, snow and cold.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2022 6:11AM

@craig44 said:
    lets not downplay Allen here. in todays NFL, he is, without doubt, the most dominant force. no one is better right now.

Until the Bills win it, for now they are the Dynasty that never was

The Chiefs and Packers are like that as well. The way everyone talks about Rodgers and KC they should have more than 2 rings between them

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Until the Bills win it, for now they are the Dynasty that never was

The Chiefs and Packers are like that as well. The way everyone talks about Rodgers and KC they should have more than 2 rings between them

Especially Aaron Rodgers, he's been in the league forever, no excuse for him not having more Super Bowls.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

It wasn’t Josh Allen hype that took the lead last year with 13 seconds left. It was Josh Allen. Just because they lost had no bearing on Allen’s performance. They lost I get it but it was far from his fault. Playing 5 straight games in Kansas City is some kind of scheduling fluke and guess what? They play in Kansas City again next year according to the future schedule. Hopefully Kansas City will make it to the championship game and it will be in Buffalo.

Hey I said if they at least get to the Super Bowl (don't even have to win it) then they have proven they're the real deal.
    But all this hype nonsense from the media gets old after a while when its a team that hasn't done anything yet.
    Its nothing against the Bills but the Chiefs have gone to the AFC championship game 4 years in a row.
    So its pretty disrespectful when a writer says the only thing that can beat the Bills are the Bills. That's nonsense.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

Hey I said if they at least get to the Super Bowl (don't even have to win it) then they have proven they're the real deal.
    But all this hype nonsense from the media gets old after a while when its a team that hasn't done anything yet.
    Its nothing against the Bills but the Chiefs have gone to the AFC championship game 4 years in a row.
    So its pretty disrespectful when a writer says the only thing that can beat the Bills are the Bills. That's nonsense.

I tend to agree. I think a better way to have put it would have been something like...the Bills are playing so well this year that if the AFC Championship was being played today, they would be the betting favorites, even against the Chiefs, as well as the betting favorites to win it all. But Super Bowls aren't won in the regular season.

• Options

@Darin said:

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

The NFL is a business and part of their business is hyping the next greatest thing.
    Even when Mahomes was winning Super Bowls they were over hyping Lamar Jackson as a generation talent. Cam Newton was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Remember slash? Cordell Stewart? Talks of putting him in the HOF next to Aikman and Emmett Smith. At least with Allen they’ve waited four years before putting a Gold Jacket on him. At least he’s the real deal this time. And I do love the hype of Mahomes-Allen as the next Manning-Brady. I’d like to see them both get a few Super Bowl rings before that can be confirmed

W.C.Fields
  • Options

In a key divisional matchup today between the Bills and Bills,
    the Bills were able to stop themselves on a last chance two minute drive
    and defeat themselves. It was a tightly contested match between Buffalo and the Bills
    but in the end the Bills superior talent was able to get the defeat over their arch nemesis the Bills.

What? If you thought I was going to let this thread just slip away you're all crazy!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Answer: J-E-T-S!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot believe Buffalo lost.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Maywood said: The Buffalo Bills are certainly the pretty clear best team in the NFL, but they're one play away from being average. That's what I don't like about the NFL right now, the best teams are all dependent on the play of the QB and the drop-off to his replacement is huge.

I saw that game last night and it sure looked like Allen dinged his elbow, he was flexing it after the "hit" but then he uncocked that long pass and looked OK. Now the reporting is that he's being evaluated and could sit for Sunday's game against the Vikings. So it goes in today's NFL where the QB is what winning revolves around, if Allen sits I don't see Buffalo having a chance against Minnesota.

Watching last night's game with the Chiefs was even a better example , KC and the Bills are so much alike it's ridiculous. The QB is almost the entire running game, especially with the Chiefs. If Mahomes were to go down for any period of time I could see the Chiefs losing every game he was out of.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spell could broken. The Bills might in line to lose more games.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?