Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Double Die, Machine Doubling... or Something Else?

LegalTendrLegalTendr Posts: 11
edited October 30, 2022 8:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi - New to the site and coin hunting, and am on the edge of my seat trying to confirm if my first major find is an actual/legit double die, worthless machine doubling... or maybe something else(?) Any thoughts/help would be appreciated, thanks!

IGWT.jpg 178.6K

Comments

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2022 9:00PM

Good eye, good photo, good first post. I hope it is what you believe it is.

Edited to add the OP’s photo.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we see a photo of the entire coin please.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like machine doubling to me.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 2:49PM

Forgive the low quality, had to use my cell since scope's not tall enough to fit a whole quarter.

2007 Wyoming Silver Proof...

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were a doubling of the die there would be split serifs and there are none that I see. So, I'll say it is not a Double Die, but is machine, shelf doubling. Keep in mind that most proof coins are double struck as well.
    bob :)
    I'm sure I'll be corrected on something but you might get the gist.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2022 11:24PM

Some additional close-ups...

• Options
    edited October 30, 2022 11:22PM

• Options
    edited October 30, 2022 11:21PM

• Options
    edited October 30, 2022 11:21PM

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 4:12AM

Would this be a type of die "Trails"? Displaced metal upon striking of the die? Hopefully, when all wake up someone will have the answer. Regardless, I like it. Found on Lincoln Cent Steps called wavy steps.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LegalTendr... Welcome aboard. Superb pictures.... However, that is machine doubling.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LegalTendr said:
    Hi - New to the site and coin hunting, and am on the edge of my seat trying to confirm if my first major find is an actual/legit double die, worthless machine doubling... or maybe something else(?) Any thoughts/help would be appreciated, thanks!

wow. that is pretty impressive on a proof coin. however, i'm with the others, looks like MD to me. saying that, i'd be hard-pressed to toss it base as at the very least, it is a good conversational piece.

i'd probably lean towards ejection doubling since parts of the devices are so shiny. kinda like they've been scraped or polished.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited October 31, 2022 8:53AM

Close-up of the last "A" in AMERICA...

• Options
    edited November 2, 2022 7:46AM

Couple more interesting issues...

• Options

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know enough bout the different types of doubling to venture an opinion on that aspect of it but I did just want to mention that your pictures are fantastic, ESPECIALLY for a proof! Nice work :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options

• Options

Is this a DDO or MO

• Options

The doubling is only in date

• Options

@Richcoins said:
    Is this a DDO or MO

Please start a new thread for your coins, it gets confusing when you piggyback onto another, however your 1958-D is not a DDO just common worthless machine doubling.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

Thank you and sorry I'm new to this

• Options

@LegalTendr , your proof coin looks to have both machine doubling and some ejection doubling, does not look to be any sort of true die doubling to me. While not things that add value they are quite dramatic and a really nice conversation piece. However, your coin does look to have a nice strikethrough on the T of States which is a true error and is worth saving.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the OP:

FYI: It is doubleD die

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file