Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this 27-S Buff?

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for opinions here on this tough date buff. Other than the planchet flaw in the hair what are some seasoned thoughts?
If I had to grade it I would probably call it a 58-62 if the flaw isn't a detailing issue, maybe I am missing something else here.
Thanks

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it as a 58

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with 58.
    I assume it would straight grade, though it would make an excellent addition to a higher grade album collection.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    I see it as a 58

That's are real nice Buff. Clean fields and good strike. I'm afraid it is slightly circulated. So close to UNC. It's one of the better struck coins from San Francisco for 1927.

The 1927-D is way worse. It isn't as bad as 1926-D but the strike is compromised by overused dies.

I don't like grading by picture. I never did.

If UNC I think it would garner a 65.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice images! :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice High AU looking 27-S Buffalo

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it looks to be a solid 58. Not sure what to make of that flaw on the obverse. Looks to be as struck.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I hope it is just the photos but I suspect it may have been lightly cleaned at some time.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2022 7:02PM

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@erwindoc said:
    I see it as a 58

That's are real nice Buff. Clean fields and good strike. I'm afraid it is slightly circulated. So close to UNC. It's one of the better struck coins from San Francisco for 1927.

The 1927-D is way worse. It isn't as bad as 1926-D but the strike is compromised by overused dies.

Pete

Based on the way you described the coin, I’m very surprised that you said if UNC, you think it would grade 65. Was that perhaps, a typo?

That aside, my guess would be MS62. I can easily understand the AU assessments (and was sorely tempted to go with AU, myself) but I don’t see any areas which I’m certain represent actual wear.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@erwindoc said:
    I see it as a 58

Pete

Based on the way you described the coin, I’m very surprised that you said if UNC, you think it would grade 65. Was that perhaps, a typo?

That aside, my guess would be MS62. I can easily understand the AU assessments but I don’t see any areas which I’m certain represent actual wear.

Actually I said IF UNC. My statement is theoretical on what grade I think the coin would garner if it was UNK.

62 is a fair assessment of the grade with very little wear. There is a very slight rub on the hip.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

55 or 58

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Struck 55.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

I'll say 55 also

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long does a coin need to circulate before wear can be noted? A week?.....a month? perhaps longer? If we can't really tell, do we look for Impeded luster? Either the coin looks to have begun to tone or maybe that's where wear may have started to show. But the unusual strong strike for this date should be the reason for a higher market grade inspite if the slightly toned areas are actually the beginnings of wear.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

AU 53 marks on cheeks is critical area on obverse, Flat hair and horn area on reverse with a weak hip would be my guess not a bad strike for a 1927-S otherwise. slight planchet flaw is really not that distracting.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AU to me. Could be the photos, but it seems dull. Could be hazy tone or maybe over dipped.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My assessment would be AU... 58.... Nice Buff, but I would put it in an album. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a 55 here, and I like your amazing pictures.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    How long does a coin need to circulate before wear can be noted? A week?.....a month? perhaps longer? If we can't really tell, do we look for Impeded luster? Either the coin looks to have begun to tone or maybe that's where wear may have started to show. But the unusual strong strike for this date should be the reason for a higher market grade inspite if the slightly toned areas are actually the beginnings of wear.

Today a nickel can average nearly ten transactions before being degraded to AU. But in the '20's it was only three or four because so many coins were carried in pockets. Today it takes about a month to make ten transactions but coins used to trade every couple days.

I believe there is a little friction behind the eye. Normally it would show up above the braid first but this can vary and the roughness above the braid can hide some friction. I suspect in hand more wear is visible which is why ChisH821 described it as he did. The photos are highly indeterminant and I have little to go on than instinct.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Thanks for the input all, always appreciated.
    And @1859jvc welcome to the forum!

• Options

@MFeld Are you of the opinion that the planchet flaw(strike-through maybe?) would not result in a details grade? I brought this in to my LCS last week where the dealer felt the coin was a very nice UNC but would not straight grade with the flaw.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    @MFeld Are you of the opinion that the planchet flaw(strike-through maybe?) would not result in a details grade? I brought this in to my LCS last week where the dealer felt the coin was a very nice UNC but would not straight grade with the flaw.

I'll defer to MFeld's opinion on this but I think it would straight grade as a 58 if there's really a rub.

I'll certainly be interested in his opinion in any case.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file