Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buy The Coin Not The Holder They Say! OK,So I Did.

VegasDanVegasDan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
edited October 28, 2022 12:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Getting down to the last 16 now 15 Morgan silver dollars.There’s no way the rest can be all MS-63/MS-64’s.There are so many 1897-O’s with flattened feathers,cleaned and even rim dents. I was very happy with the way this one looks so I bought it.If I’m happy and unashamed of owning this one I guess that’s all that matters.The hunt continues!

Comments

• Options
    VegasDanVegasDan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Also it seems as if the San Francisco Mint has produced the boldest and nicest looking breast feathers in regards to Morgan dollars.It takes quite a bit of searching to find nice examples even in higher grades of New Orleans minted dollars with bold feathers.They seem to get better the closer they got to 1900.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say you did dang good! Nothing wrong with ANACS as long as you can see it in hand and are satisfied the coin fits your collecting needs/goals. The only time I'm cautious with ANACS is when it comes to 70 coins. They certify some coins as 70 that I wouldn't even consider sending to another top grading company.

1800 O's are hard to find in decent condition!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a really nice one!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a glance, the coin demands, ones full attention.
    The strike looks softly flawless.
    Cool.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice coin, fitting grade. If you are happy, then enjoy the coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Grade's right IMO.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good looking coin and a great addition to a Morgan dollar set. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 12:38PM

Why do you guys tend to regard ANACS less? Their standards must be lower or something?
    Grammar edit

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 9:57AM

@emeraldATV said:
    At a glance, the coin demands, ones full attention.
    The strike looks softly flawless.
    Cool.

"Softly Flawless".

I like that.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started out with all NGC coins 20 years ago, then moved to ANACS and finally PCGS. Must have 30 or more ANACS and only a few NGC, the rest are PCGS.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2022 12:09PM

Some coins look better in the appropriate color anacs holders. I personally enjoy anacs. I also enjoy pcgs and ngc. 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Morgan. 👍

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with an honest AU58 or AU55 instead of a marginal, yeah-it's-technically-MS64-but-ugly.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up, did good. B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I have a mix of PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. Doesn't bother me as long as I agree with the grade and like the coin.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

That's a very pleasing coin. Nice purchase.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    Why do you guys tend to regard ANACS less? Their standards must be lower or something?
    Grammar edit

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with ANACS. PCGS and NGC have done a better job of marketing their service which is why they get the lions share of recognition when it comes to grading services.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 5:59PM

Nice coin. I like it in the yellow holder too. I have a number of ANACS coins in my inventory.

A beautiful Mexico Anacs MS70 silver Libertad in the yellow Anacs holder picked up at GC did well selling in my online store recently. It was a real beauty hated see it go.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with an attractive AU. Like others have said, I have some nice coins in ANACS holders.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with ANACS at all. If you count their early days as part of the ANA they're the oldest TPG. Easy to submit to, you don't have to join anything to sub, and their graders seem to be as good as those of other services... but somehow there has always been something of a bias where they've been considered "less than". I think @pmh1nic may have a point about the main difference being that they just don't market themselves as well.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2022 6:05PM

In the old days when it was tough for a regular player get submission acct with the majors I was an ANACS submitter. If somebody tried pull the garbage on me I should discount my ANACS coins (Holder) I basically told them to shove it. If you can’t stand up for your inventory to some bozo off bourse BS what will you stand up for?

There is no reason for me discount my Anacs coins not then or now. Especially bc of the holder.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bot many ANACs coins (50+ Morgans, Peace & WLHs) and most were spot on with grade, maybe attributable to my grading capability, & 99% were the old white holders, but let's be honest, overall, they cannot match up with PCGS & NGC.
    They all have some over-grades, but there is more slippage with ANACS holders, esp after the white holders changed to blue then yellow. This is not just marketing, collectors know what TPG they can trust the most. Should all be discounted, of course not, but when I bid online and see a 64 grade today, I usually bid around a 63 price.

Anecdotally, I had to sell ~50% of my collection several years ago to fund my son's college tuition. Brought over 100 slabs into a big NJ coin dealer and walked away with ~ $10 grand. He bot every PCGS slab, 85% of the NGC slabs, and none of the ANACS slabs. Dealt with him before and he knew I was in a bind needing money. He knocked me down 10% from greysheet. Asked why no ANACS, even though there were some very nice coins, and he said he wanted quick turnaround. He did me a big favor but PCGS did me the biggest favor.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend recently had a somewhat modern crossover from ANACS to hosts and coin went from 66 to 69, so they certainly can be conservative, although that is a series of one.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file