Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nice split plating error 1991 1c

We'll see...WHAT? What brought your attention...?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the first I have seen exposed zinc referred to as 'split plating'... Cheers, RickO

• RobertLahtiRobertLahti Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is the first I have seen exposed zinc referred to as 'split plating'... Cheers, RickO

https://www.error-ref.com/split-plating/

We'll see...WHAT? What brought your attention...?

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think technically an error by numismatic standards is a coin that is outside "mint tolerances" rotated dies, off center, mis-aligned dies, weight, struck through, bubbles in plating etc. but there is probably a lot of grey area for stuff that simply wasn't defined as outside mint tolerance, kinda like the item above.

so i think there are really 2 definitions for error imo.

ANYthing essentially outside the norm but not outside mint standards BUT the tpgs will probably label it if you pay and then the standard definition.

i do concede that the majority of errors that carry say $100 premium or more will be outside mint specs.

people do buy the low dollar ones all the time.

i just saw someone that had a multi-quantity listing of some statehood quarters that were grease struck through obv/rev and were only like $6 ask price but they sold 200 of them in a reasonably short time it looked like.

glad to see you using the error-ref. great site :+1:

just saw that "crystals" can form at these exposed areas after they leave the mint !!!! - Hydrozincite

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file