Options

New CAC Holders - Pictures Released

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 28, 2022 10:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments?

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks kinda cool, I'd like to see one in hand though...

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they will direct cross to PCGS.
    NGC sometimes does not.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    NGC sometimes does not.

Considering CAC took a PCGS truview image for use in their sample slabs I don’t think it’ll sit well with PCGS.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one with bean on reverse is for legacy coins. If it has a bean now, will get that. The other is for new coins.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    Ugly like NTC slabs.

My first reaction, but I think this is because they're transparent (assuming the fact that Beanman is clearly visible through the slabs) and they unfortunately chose an NTC color for the background of the ad.

Other observations:

• The font used for the date/grade might not be the most legible from a distance. ICG has a big problem with legibility on slabs because of a thick font. It also needs to be a font that supports Greek and Cyrillic character sets if they're going to do world coins correctly.
    • The use of all-caps with a script font outside the context of a monogram is a typographic crime -- or at least something that annoys me.
    • They supposedly fit in both PCGS and NGC boxes with the lid closed, which is a good thing.
    • The back looks like it'll accommodate my attribution stickers, another good thing.
    • I can't tell from the pictures if the lens is protected from being scratched by tabletops, glass cases, or other slabs.
    • I also can't tell if they stack with PCGS or NGC slabs, although it looks like they might be designed to stack with PCGS.
    • I imagine the first samples will be available from China about when the real ones start hitting the market, if not sooner.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Like I said on the other thread, it looks almost like an NGC holder with a clear insert and a PCGS gasket to me.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    NGC sometimes does not.

I would think not, as even ngc-cac doesn’t direct cross to pcgs. Since you will be able to direct cross Ngc-cac to cac, it would invalidate that by being able to cross cac to pcgs automatically

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm diggin it. I guess it fits the average box slot.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is some strategic advantage to them making holders that don't stand out significantly from PCGS/NGC. It might speed up their acceptance in the market.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Not super attractive IMO.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 2:58PM

Is that official or just preliminary? Kind of weird that it says "USA" on the lower corners vs. "CAC" in the plastic where you would see PCGS on one of the host's slabs. Not that I'm not patriotic or anything but just used to seeing the brand's acronym there.

It actually looks like an updated PCGS rattler.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    56morgan56morgan Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Why is the reverse not upside down or is this a “Morgan medal”slab?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the slab must be okay if so many people are focusing their attention on the coin.

• Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 4:04PM

@messydesk said:

@AlanSki said:
    Ugly like NTC slabs..

• The use of all-caps with a script font outside the context of a monogram is a typographic crime -- or at least something that annoys me.

Agreed about script fonts but I don't see any here, aside from the CAC logo (monogram)....what am I missing?

Pic is sorta blurry so it might be something I can't see..?

Oh and the mascot is painful.

Edit: pic in the other thread is clearer. [Why were the threads not combined?]
    Anyway it must be LEGACY that you're referring to? In which case I agree.

• Options

@MS66 said:
    Agreed about script fonts but I don't see any here, aside from the CAC logo (monogram)....what am I missing?

The black tab at the top of the slab on the left says "LEGACY" in script.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stingray63 said:
    Is that official or just preliminary? Kind of weird that it says "USA" on the lower corners vs. "CAC" in the plastic where you would see PCGS on one of the host's slabs. Not that I'm not patriotic or anything but just used to seeing the brand's acronym there.

It actually looks like an updated PCGS rattler.

It was mentioned that the slabs would be made in the USA, so that might be why it’s in the corner.

• Options

@MS66 said:

@messydesk said:

@AlanSki said:
    Ugly like NTC slabs..

Yeah, Beanman was always unbecoming of the company presenting itself in a dignified manner.

Correct.

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    It was mentioned that the slabs would be made in the USA, so that might be why it’s in the corner.

Just saw the other pic in the other thread and it shows CAC in the lower right there where PCGS would be and USA on the reverse in the other lower corner. Much better photo.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah... another 'new CAC' thread.... And so it continues... Smart marketing.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@56morgan said:
    Why is the reverse not upside down or is this a “Morgan medal”slab?

Good catch!!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has to be one of the sloppiest "roll-outs" in recent memory. :p

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MS66 said:

@messydesk said:

@AlanSki said:
    Ugly like NTC slabs..

Those are probably given on crosses. If you don’t want the Legacy slab submit the coin raw, unless they have an option for a non Legacy slab.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you submit a PCGS coin to CAC do they crack it out to put in their holder ? Are they accepting raw coins and now grading and slabbing ? I don’t get what’s going on here.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t care for the font either. Too narrow and hard to read. I hope they consider changing it to something more readable.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the bean on the back signify since the coin already in their holder?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

It's all so confusing...

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them they have a fresh look to them.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    What is the bean on the back signify since the coin already in their holder?

Those show the coin was previously stickered.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    I'd love all of those critical of the design to go and make your own slabs to your expectations and show them here. It is not easy to come up with a new design IMO. I like the transparency of the slab, that puts all of the focus on the coin. I like the labels aesthetics with the CAC green-bean like symbol center-front. All in all a great addition to the slab world.

Best, SH

I sort of agree with this, but something better would not be difficult to design. I can't tell the features of the holder itself from the picture, so I won't go there. There are a lot of requirements for just the label:

• Legibility: Thick fonts bad. Compressed fonts bad. Compressed thick fonts bad bad.
    • Usage of Space: The tag is a fairly small space. ?ow much useful information can you fit there such that the space is used in a similar fashion for diverse coins? For the pictured coin there is not much to say. For coins that require variety, weight, pedigree, and other text to be shown, will the same layout work. Centered text doesn't work as well as left justified text in this respect. Our hosts additionally seem to have a problem getting multiple lines of text centered correctly. Is it worth having a bar code on the front? How much space should the serial number consume? With CAC no longer stickering coins in the near future, PCGS should move their gold shield to the right side reformat their label with mostly left-justified text.
    • Security: Has to be hard to reproduce correctly. Don Willis once said that staying ahead of counterfeiters is basically an arms race. If you come out with an easy target out of the gate, it becomes that much harder to get and stay ahead. Look toward banknote security features for what to do here for the label stock
    • Useful: At a glance identification of what's in the holder, the ability to show additional information upon closer review, space that can be covered with a price tag.
    • Attractive: Hard to get this right, since it's the most subjective and must be compatible with the other requirements.

I could come up with something, but it's not high on my list of things to do. I already have once with the labels I use, but it's a different bunch of information for a slightly different audience and context.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

why does the cac guy have a bowtie between his mouth and eyes

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

It's that 'professional' look they are going for..............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great company and highly respected people doing the grading. I am going to be very interested in the 58+ CACG company coins. JA has admitted that many 62/63 grade coins will end up in 58+CACG slabs. Those are going to be very nice coins to own.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Great company and highly respected people doing the grading. I am going to be very interested in the 58+ CACG company coins. JA has admitted that many 62/63 grade coins will end up in 58+CACG slabs. Those are going to be very nice coins to own.

On the flip side , I could see that becoming an issue where the 58+ CAC graded coins are cherry-picked, cracked out, and sent back to PCGS or NGC to grade low Ms. I’d imagine that the 58+ grade will carry a nice premium vs a normal 58.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 7:06PM

@Pnies20 said:

Probably to prop up his glasses, what with not having a nose.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk, you have a few good ideas, but consider the following:
    --- Usage of Space: The tag is a fairly small space...........................

I have always thought that the less information on the insert the better, the less cluttered and to the point the better. However, there is quite a bit that could be helpful but the insert isn't the best place for it. Why not have all that information such as variety, weight, pedigree, etc. at the "cert. verification" link?? PCGS has it set up to scan the barcode and everyone checks routinely with a cert number. Can't that be done even when a coin is in a showcase, scanned and everything anyone would want to know accessible via the link??

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @messydesk, you have a few good ideas, but consider the following:
    --- Usage of Space: The tag is a fairly small space...........................

I have always thought that the less information on the insert the better, the less cluttered and to the point the better. However, there is quite a bit that could be helpful but the insert isn't the best place for it. Why not have all that information such as variety, weight, pedigree, etc. at the "cert. verification" link?? PCGS has it set up to scan the barcode and everyone checks routinely with a cert number. Can't that be done even when a coin is in a showcase, scanned and everything anyone would want to know accessible via the link??

To a certain degree, PCGS is doing that now. Cert verification up with a photo, previous auction results if known, and other ancillary information. Since scanning a slab for hidden information takes time, information critical to device-free purchases should be on the label, and sometimes this adds up. I agree that too much non-essential information can become cluttering noise. The threshold at which this happens can vary with the layout of the information.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's up with the hats on the eyeballs

• Options

It's a cartoon. I wouldn't take it too literally. But then, that's just me.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

These look like NTC slabs, I don't care for the slab itself, JMHO.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@MasonG said:

It cheapens the brand.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@MasonG said:

It cheapens the brand.

To who? Last I checked there brand brings top dollar compared to others.

• Options

@messydesk said:

@MasonG said:

It cheapens the brand.

They seem to be doing okay. Anyway, no matter what they do (or don't do), somebody will find fault. I don't see any harm in having a little fun with a cartoon mascot if that's what they want to do.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@MasonG said:

It cheapens the brand.

In what way? For example, do you think that anyone with even a minimal knowledge of the rare coin market, coin values and the world of coin grading would submit fewer coins to CAC and/or buy fewer CAC coins because of the mascot?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2022 3:37PM

I’m a little late on this topic but looking to catch up.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

They really do remind me of NTC slabs. I wish them luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file