Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll Hunting...can you even do it anymore? At banks that is or where do you go to find them?

Hi All,
I am fairly new to collecting and I heard about coin roll hunting so I traveled into town and went to the US Bank near me. The teller told me that they don't ever have silver coins 40% or 90% in their .50 cent rolls anymore. I did find a bunch of 1976 Bicentennials and a few proofs like 2001, 2018 but other than that there were a lot of 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, then 80's, 90's 2000's. Do you know if you can get rolls that may have surprise silver coins in the anymore and if so where would I go do this at? Any advice or words of experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Rachelle51

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RACHELLE51.... Welcome aboard. Excellent advice in the previous posts. CRH is both fun and tedious. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes!
    Welcome To the Forum!
    CRHunting is so exciting. However, it takes a lot of work and time.
    Pack your patience, travel to many banks, including ones you don't have an account with, be very polite. Even supply them with treats (donuts, etc...) every now and then. Be aware to burn some gas if you travel to banks that on NOT on your way.
    Don't worry, the results you reap will cover the cost of the gas burned! Be very selective. Meaning, seeking not only for SILVER, but tons of other dandies. Proofs, errors, VARIETIES. Tons of varieties. Foreign, key date coins, wheaties (in Cent searches) BU coins. Oh, how could I forget. lol don't forget those, "W" Quarters!
    Like mentioned, here and above posts.
    Expect failures. But the enjoyment and gems you find will eleaviate the negativity!
    Have FUN & GOOD LUCK!
    Remember, your playing with house money, no real set backs. Just cash back in
    to receive most of your money.
    Be
    PERSISTENT
    and I promise you, you WILL find treasures.
    Welcome to the Forum.
    Joey
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2022 2:18PM

:D
    Look at this!
    Went to my bank minutes ago.
    Look what they had lurking in their drawer
    :D

SILVER!

See, how easy!
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RACHELLE51 said:
    Coin Roll Hunting...can you even do it anymore? At banks that is or where do you go to find them?

No, coin roll hunting has officially been outlawed. Don't do it!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@RACHELLE51 said:

You're responding to a zombie.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@RACHELLE51 said:

You're responding to a zombie.

No I'm not. I'm responding to all the CRH'ers within the sound of my voice! 😂 🤣 Merry Christmas! 🎄🎅🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck. I am retired but can make $35/hr doing service calls when I want (Geek Squad type work), much more than I ever could be searching rolls, and I am not being a PITA at my banks.

Vplite99
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

My own bank makes cashing in even a few rolls of coins a major chore. They check each roll with a magnet, insist on identification and check to see if you have an account. My own rolls never contain any Canadian coins (that is what they are looking for with the magnet) but I have been there several times when I have seen older people cashing in large numbers of rolls of dimes and quarters. They checked every roll and pulled out all the Canadian. In spite of the fact that the Detroit is just across the river from Canada, Canadian coins (and paper money) are not wanted .. period.

Note: I don't do roll searching as I view it as a waste of time and eyesight.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file