Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Draped Bust Half Cent to replace my counterstamped one

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my current replacement for the 1806 counterstamped Draped Bust Half Cent for my Wayte Raymond album and it is another rotated die. GTG if you wish. Obviously, it's a C-1. Sorry, hard to photograph in the holder, for me at least.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannot GTG from that obverse picture... way too dark. However, The reverse looks nice. Cheers, RickO

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wag at VF

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF 45 no CAC
    EAC net AG CAC gold

don't torture us, what's the grade?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Looks good for the grade

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad, lets see the counterstamped one

Frank

BHNC #203

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Draped Bust Half Cents are my favorite - congrats! Before I scrolled down, I was going to guess a VF30 Details (scratches). This coin is a good looking 20 details!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

@jesbroken - are you putting together a date set of half cents?

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Just the early. Only the high value left to get. lol Here's what I have so far. Love that they are all rotated dies of varying degrees.

Jim

Very nice work! I keep looking at the 1802/0 (reverse of 1800), but I can't zoom in enough on it. :)

The C stands for Copy. Looks very good other than thickness and weight, almost double. Not able to afford a genuine one that I would have at this juncture.
    Jim

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Very nice work! I keep looking at the 1802/0 (reverse of 1800), but I can't zoom in enough on it. :)

When I do buy a DB half cent I will try to get an 1800. Personally find it really cool that it uses the Liberty Cap reverse.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin I like 👍

@Omegaraptor said:

When I do buy a DB half cent I will try to get an 1800. Personally find it really cool that it uses the Liberty Cap reverse.

The 1802/0's have both reverses as do many of the early cents.
    Jim

edited November 3, 2022 1:59PM

@jesbroken said:

@Omegaraptor said:

Jim

The difference being that I can afford an 1800. :p

For the large cents I have every date/reverse pair for 1796-98 except for 1796 rev 97 and 1798 rev 95.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

@Omegaraptor said:

@jesbroken said:

@Omegaraptor said:

Jim

_** I understand that. That's why my hole filler is a copy/fake.**_

For the large cents I have every date/reverse pair for 1796-98 except for 1796 rev 97 and 1798 rev 95.

That's quite an accomplishment. I have only the S87 96. I'm looking for a nicer 94, as I just sold my 94 in order to place in a fund to get a nicer 94. Haven't started the Liberty Cap Half Cents yet, hoping to finish the Draped Bust first with the 02/O. Is their a location I could view your collection, I would love to see it?
    Jim

@jesbroken - The 1802 C-1 half cent is a very tough one, as you know. A C-2 is not an easy coin either. Honestly, I didn't see the "c", but there were some other things that made me think the example in the book was a (good) copy. Very cool set with them all rotated like that on the reverse. I really like it.

@jesbroken - The 1802 C-1 half cent is a very tough one, as you know. A C-2 is not an easy coin either. Honestly, I didn't see the "c", but there were some other things that made me think the example in the book was a (good) copy. Very cool set with them all rotated like that on the reverse. I really like it.

I chose them for the rotated dies and color to try to have a better matching set. I'm selling a lot lately trying to build up to the 02/0, which I'm sure it will be around AG03 but the color will be key. Thanks.
    Jim

I wish you all the luck in finding a nice, affordable example.

edited November 3, 2022 9:45PM

@jesbroken said:

@Omegaraptor said:

@jesbroken said:

@Omegaraptor said:

Jim

_** I understand that. That's why my hole filler is a copy/fake.**_

That's quite an accomplishment. I have only the S87 96. I'm looking for a nicer 94, as I just sold my 94 in order to place in a fund to get a nicer 94. Haven't started the Liberty Cap Half Cents yet, hoping to finish the Draped Bust first with the 02/O. Is their a location I could view your collection, I would love to see it?
    Jim

Oops! Skipped over the post where you said your 1802/0 was a copy by mistake.

Most of my early large cents are displayed in this Cointalk album: https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/filip’s-early-large-cents.2130/

What may very well be my rarest large cent is currently on its way... and it won't disappoint! That is, if I'm correct about the attribution...

edited November 3, 2022 10:15PM

Nice collection, Filip. Lot's of 96's as you said. Love the Fugio's. Congrats. Can't wait to see your latest.
    Jim

@jesbroken said:
    Nice collection, Filip. Lot's of 96's as you said. Love the Fugio's. Congrats. Can't wait to see your latest.
    Jim

Thank you! I started the year with zero 1796s and now have four. Think I can get in a fifth before year end? Meh… there’s no rush. Should probably save for a nice 1794.

I just bought one, couldn't wait. As soon as I have inhand I'll post photos.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file