Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newp - Indian Head Cent

spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 27, 2022 4:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm pretty happy with this pick at what I feel was a decent price... seems in pretty good condition. Was listed as a RED. I can definitely see red on the cheeks and behind the ear area and down the diamond area, the top set of feathers and in front of the face and some of the rim, as well as on the ENT of cent on the back. I know these pictures probably didn't pick up the red as well as I would hope.

It may be hard to tell but the obverse does seem to have some original luster left and does pretty decent cartwheels on the obverse. The reverse is kinda flat tho.

I found myself having to use different lighting temperature and techniques to get this one close. There is a big difference between imaging silver vs copper!

What do you think? RD, BN, or RB (based on my attempt to image this one)?

Comments

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like a Brown Indian to me. Compare it to a brand new Lincoln cent...that's what Red looks like. I collect Large Cents...I like Brown coins that have Red hidden in the devices. Still a nice looking Indian.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very nice 58 to me, maybe UNC.

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Looks like a RedBrown cent to me. Here is a handy little chart for determining these color states of your cents, giving you good sense in it's regard.
    Jim

Thanks... Looks like it could be red or red brown, possibly a couple under red brown could fit or the top right at best. Top right coin looks closest but I'd have to study them more.

@erwindoc said:
    Looks like a very nice 58 to me, maybe UNC.

Yeah there's a couple spots that could be squishy or a little rub. I see squishier unc in coin facts so I'm not entirely sure.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a tossup between RB and BN from the photo. Just guessing I’d go with RB. Looks great!!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, the coin looks AU and clearly, neither RD nor BN, but instead, RB.
    That said, I don’t think that the major grading companies use RB or RD designations for copper coins graded below MS 60.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin is RB. Some RB coins are a mix of red and brown. Others, like this one, are “red” but the red is muted. The red isn’t as bright and fresh as RD copper, and usually the lustre is a bit muted.

On the lighting temperature front, have you custom set your white balance? Once your camera knows the color of your light, it should get colors right when the coin is well illuminated. If you’re changing the temperature the camera interprets the light to be, it sounds like overall your white balance is not properly set, so your camera is making assumptions that you’re having to override.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

@airplanenut I have one light that tells me the actual temperature it's supposed to be putting out. None of the others do yet have options to change it. I'm going to start using the one with the readout to determine the light output of the others...hopefully that will help :)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 6:04PM

58RB. Edit nice coin.

@MFeld said:
    To me, the coin looks AU and clearly, neither RD nor BN, but instead, RB.
    That said, I don’t think that the major grading companies use RB or RD designations for copper coins graded below MS 60.

The more I look at it the more I agree with you. There is clearly wear or scuffing on the bow and the shield, as well as the hair to the right of the ribbon and ear and above the ear. Some of that wasn't picked up by the camera but with my loupe I can see most of it clear as day. The bow shimmers copper when I turn it under the light where it was worn.

None of which of course was present or visible in the sellers images...

Oh well. On to the next coin :neutral:

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have to pay MS money for it? It looks AU to me. A very common date as well so not something that you should overpay to get.

All glory is fleeting.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the color is accurate then it appears RB. It's a common date so I hope you didn't spend much for it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@TomB said:
    If the color is accurate then it appears RB. It's a common date so I hope you didn't spend much for it.

Too much unfortunately... fortunately I can and am returning it, and will move on.

Appreciate all the feedback!

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:
    @airplanenut I have one light that tells me the actual temperature it's supposed to be putting out. None of the others do yet have options to change it. I'm going to start using the one with the readout to determine the light output of the others...hopefully that will help :)

The white balance is a setting in your camera to calibrate it to your light. Set it once for your light bulb and you should be done.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign.... I would call it RB, and the pictures show it moving to B.... Your description indicates more red than the pictures show. I believe returning it is the right move, since you indicate the price was high. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file