Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some pictures of my first purchase in almost a year.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 27, 2022 6:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I bought a medal early this morning, my first purchase in quite some time. There hasn't been much offered lately at prices which are within reason so I've spent time simply looking and I think everyone will agree that's not much fun!!

The medal is listed in "Columbiana" as Eglit 224 and was engraved by German Medalist Ludwig Christoph Lauer for the World's Columbian Exhibition held in Chicago during 1892-93. There are actually three different sizes which all share the same design with modified inscriptions. The largest at 70mm is listed as E-117, followed by a 45mm issue listed as E-223 and this issue which is 27mm. Nathan Eglit lists all three as being issued in Bronze and Silver Plated, but E-224 also can be found in Gilt/Gold Plated.

The design itself is rather exquisite, especially the reverse which would seem to depict Queen Isabella with the Santa Maria in the background. The obverse portrait of Columbus is unusual: it shows his back at about 3/4 and a profile of his face turned to the left. The largest size is the most difficult to find and the Copper/Bronze of all sizes is the most common. The relief is high.

Please post images of any examples you might have, I never tire of seeing this design. Thanks in advance and enjoy.

Maywood.

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never been huge on medals myself but I can make an exception for this one. It's absolutely stunning.

I can't help but notice the similarities between the portrait of Isabella to the J-1420--1429 patterns, which depict Liberty on a globe with a sailing ship in the left obverse field. Am I just overstating the similarities (highly probable), or could there be some connection there?

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off. Young Al , you amaze me with your knowledge and natural ability to share it here. I’m happy that you and others are caring for the future of the hobby. Thank you 🙏

Now, about that medal. It’s really nice.  I’m happy you found something to buy as there’s a certain comfort to just the action of finding and then purchasing a new tangible product.  Strange creatures we who collect but I understand what you are saying. 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it is in unusually nice condition for a medal with that high a relief.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is some really nice details too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood ... Really nice medal, and good detail. That image of Columbus is unique....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

That is a very cool medal with great detail.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the color on that, nice tken

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Chocolate Medal.
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the medal arrived in the mail today and it's better in-hand than the pictures depict. All the imperfections seen were dust or some sort of artifact that wasn't really there, I blew everything off with "Canned Air" and used an MS70 rinse to remove any possible contaminants. The fields on both sides are quite reflective with only minor color disturbances which look like spotting.

It is, to all appearances, an as struck Copper/Bronze medal after almost 130 years!! Whoever owned this in the past took great care to store it properly. At some point I'll have PCGS encapsulate it for optimum long term preservation, I'd assume it would grade MS65-66, just a gem I feel fortunate to have found.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really a nice pick, Maywood......You have discriminating taste..... What's a year?.......I say it was well worth the wait......I like it! 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file