Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Recent Find - Washington Quarter 1940 D/D Not FS-501 but VP-003 in a recent unc. set purchase.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

neat example. varietyvista RPM1 aka DDO2 (vp003 is ngc yes?)

the FS-501 is an AMMMMMAAAAAAZZZINNGGG rpm HUUUUGE spread. lovely

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Garfield2022Garfield2022 Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 5:26PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    neat example. varietyvista RPM1 aka DDO2 (vp003 is ngc yes?)

the FS-501 is an AMMMMMAAAAAAZZZINNGGG rpm HUUUUGE spread. lovely

VP003 is NGC variety listed - I think it looks like the Variety Vista RPM-001 and has several of the obverse and reverse die crack markers but I myself don't see any doubling with just a magnifying glass.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be the lighting, but the coin looks AU58 to me.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:

Yeah! Not being a professional photographer on my end the lighting is reflecting on the off neck luster and that sucks but seeing it in hand is another thing. It's got perfect unbroken cartwheels on both sides too!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

What has me worried is the grey color at the front of the hairline and around the jaw. These are the areas that will show a wear pattern first on WQs, along with the neck. If they are grey in the image then they might have a tiny bit of wear. I will add two images to this post to make it more clear. The first is a coin I own with the highpoint areas outlined in black and these areas will often show wear first. The second is your image with what I see as grey color that I have outlined in black. This is an ominous sign for wear.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice find... Cannot really determine if uncirc from the pictures... Would need it in hand.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

This is interesting Tom because even after your explanation post the coin looks like a solid UNC to me. Maybe it's too early in the morning :lol:.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

I just enjoy this forum and I'm glad PCGS has made it available. Regardless of what each of us think of the above pictured coin grades I appreciate hearing others views etc. Now having said that anyone here that has not seen TomB's website needs to visit it. There is some beautiful pictures to enjoy but my favorites were the Seated Quarter on his Home Page and in one of his past articles an awesome looking Columbian half dollar (reverse side). Oh yeah! FlyingAl exactly what did you do to earn that coveted award back on 10/1/22?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file