Home Precious Metals

1 oz American Gold Eagle or 1 oz American Gold Buffalo ?

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were buying just one gold coin today, which one of these coins would you buy?

1 oz American Gold Eagle or 1 oz American Gold Buffalo

Is one of these coins considered better than the other for stacking purposes?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Comments

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    All things being equal, including state (raw vs. slabbed), condition (pristine vs. baggy), and price?

The buffalo. Better design, more scarce, and higher purity (though of course they both contain 1 troy ounce of pure gold).

If I buy one, I was thinking of paying a few extra dollars, and getting it in a Mint Direct holder. Just to protect the coin from damage and assure authenticity.

I would buy the coin from a well known company.

From my web searches so far, both coins seem to be within a few dollars of each other in price.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the well known company and the mint direct holders are good ideas. I'd personally try to find one graded by our hosts or ATS, and at least MS69 condition. That's just a personal preference, though.

For what it's worth, Apmex has 2022 gold buffalos and gold eagles, both in their "mint direct" holders, for the same price.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the AGE's, but that's just me.
    I would respect your decision no matter which one YOU preferred.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

I would definitely buy a certified MS69, if it is not too much more that a Mint Direct. I will check that option too.

@1630Boston said:
    I like the AGE's, but that's just me.
    I would respect your decision no matter which one YOU preferred.

One thing I like about the 1 oz American Gold Eagle, it is more durable because of the added copper. Less prone to damage.

I will probably buy the AGE in a certified MS69 or Mint Direct holder. Depending on how far apart they are price wise.

@MetroD said:
    As of the time of this post:

Thank you! :)

edited October 27, 2022 10:50AM

Can't make up my mind. I will think it over for awhile.

Thank you to all for your input on this. :)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

Do they make a 1/2 ounce version of each coin, buy one of each :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffalo

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@CoinHoarder said:

Do they make a 1/2 ounce version of each coin, buy one of each :)

Eagle: Yes.

Unless I missed something, the fractional Buffalos were only offered in 2008 with burnished and proof finishes. Reference

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pick the prettiest

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with the buffalo because I already have Pre-33 Saints and find those more fun to own then AGEs.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

AGE, as it's all about liquidity. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go with the one you think will bring the higher premium when it’s time to sell. Unfortunately for gutterboy he did not heed this advice when he chose to stack junk silver bars and rounds instead of ASEs. Metal content is constant, premiums are not.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2022 6:36PM

@derryb said:
    Go with the one you think will bring the higher premium when it’s time to sell. Unfortunately for gutterboy he did not heed this advice when he chose to stack junk silver bars and rounds instead of ASEs. Metal content is constant, premiums are not.

LOL all I own is ASEs and 90% junk for physical gutter. Never bought a bar or generic round ever. And thank god in the past I've owned more SLV than physical, now that's LIQUIDITY!

Edit: have a few gutter krugs, maples, phils, pandas as well. All govt issued no private mint trash.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

[Whew] Sure would be nice to have those type of funds to play around with those choices. Good Luck.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

LOL all I own is ASEs and 90% junk for physical gutter. Never bought a bar or generic round ever. And thank god in the past I've owned more SLV than physical, now that's LIQUIDITY!

Edit: have a few gutter krugs, maples, phils, pandas as well. All govt issued no private mint trash.

:D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Saints and AGE's, and only a couple of Buffs.... I would probably go with a Buff if prices were roughly equal. And certified only. Cheers, RickO

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have Saints and AGE's, and only a couple of Buffs.... I would probably go with a Buff if prices were roughly equal. And certified only. Cheers, RickO

Excellent point. Certification becomes more important down the road when “counterfeit” offers greater reward to fraudster. Again, reselling in the future should be a primary factor in today’s buying decisions. Not much premium on MS/PR 69, well worth the added cost.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• RobMRobM Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

From strictly a value proposition at today's prices on a "random year" coin, the buffalo has a slight edge. The buy/sell spread from bullion dealers that publish their buy prices is around $12-15 higher for the 1oz eagle. But if you are buying just one get whichever one you like the looks of more. Unless you plan to hold the coin in your bare hand, then get the eagle.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the AGE has the top credentials, and would be my choice as long as price differential was minimal.

----- kj
  • MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder

Do not know if you have made your 'decision/purchase'.

If you have not, and the year is important to you, it appears that APMEX is preparing to offer the 2023 'Buffalos/Eagles'. I assume, as a pre-sale item (i.e., buy now, and they ship upon receipt).

A QUICK review of the pending options suggests that both will be available in MS-69 and 'Mint Direct Premier' packaging.

@MetroD said:
    @CoinHoarder

Do not know if you have made your 'decision/purchase'.

If you have not, and the year is important to you, it appears that APMEX is preparing to offer the 2023 'Buffalos/Eagles'. I assume, as a pre-sale item (i.e., buy now, and they ship upon receipt).

A QUICK review of the pending options suggests that both will be available in MS-69 and 'Mint Direct Premier' packaging.

I put it on hold for now, No rush. I am leaning towards the Buffalo right now, but that could change. All I know for sure is whatever I buy, will be certified and not raw.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always, siempre the Buffalo GRADED. That was such an easy decision.
    Buffalo is Much, Much better looking compared to nearly all and any one ounce gold coins.
    Unless you can get the 2009 UHR near spot :D

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.