Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FDOI question

If an item sells out in 1 hour at the mint, isn't every single one of the coins FDOI at that point? I don't understand how it couldn't be?

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than marketing decisions, who knows?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2022 1:06PM

I suppose in theory yes, but most first day sellouts go to "unavailable" for days/weeks while orders get verified and processed. Brief windows of availability often/open up later as orders are canceled or invalidated.

As i recall, when the presidents dollars first came out you could get (for a fee) special "First Day of Issue" labels if your submission was postmarked on release date

Then, since all the coins for a particular Issue were minted prior to release date they considered all of them to be FDOI eligible regardless of when they were sent in. That sort of killed off the novelty of FDOI presidents dollars.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention that the average collector can’t apply for fdoi. Only dealers. 🤨

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2022 7:49PM

FDOI and first day of going on sale to the public is something totally different.
    I once saw a table for what qualifies for Early Release but cannot recall the timeframe. I don't follow the mint releases closely as I don't collect modern coins but do remember when the State Quarter program came out the US Mint packaged and sold a P&D two coin FDOI set for the public that had a stamp and postmark on it. Maybe others here could recall other FDOI items that may have been offered throughout the years to the public.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure but I think this is kinda like that😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited October 26, 2022 8:41PM

That's along idea. I actually remember them as far back as 1976 now but this one was what came to mind originally.
    Does the US Mint offer anything like these still?
    I notice the wording on this envelope is slightly different.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealers get coins before the public sale... So FDOI is questionable.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stingray63 said:
    FDOI and first day of going on sale to the public is something totally different. [...]

I am NOT an expert. Nor am I versed in the logistics of deliveries to dealers.

That said, in terms of label attributions, I think that an FDOI designation is related to the initial date of public availability.

Source: https://www.ngccoin.com/about/help-center-faqs/ngc-releases-designations/first-day-of-issue/

Note - Please excuse the non-PCGS reference. I was unable to locate any issue-specific definitions on the PCGS website.

• Options

Nice find! Adds some clarity on the topic.

Pocket Change Inspector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file