Home Sports Talk
Options

Matt Ryan - the end?

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

With an injured shoulder and a benching for the season, is this it for Matty Ice?

A very solid QB with very gaudy stats .

Hall of Famer?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of yards and durability but no HOF

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

He’s done. He isn’t going to go through this with another team next year. Bad way to go out but his career is over. If he had won that Super Bowl he would’ve had an outside shot but no jacket for him.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely a HOFer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is he the Dan Fouts of this generation?

I would say HOFer though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

He "beats" Fouts pretty handily when comparing career stats, Ryan compares quite favorably with Marino.

The thing that stood out was how much Ryan got sacked. With better protection, he would most likely have been even better.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Super Bowl loss had to stay with him from that point on.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

For better or worse, not closing out on that Super Bowl win is going to hurt his chances at HOF induction despite the gaudy stats compiled in an era when such stats are not really that difficult to put up in a domed stadium with today's rules protecting the quarterbacks and receivers.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

28-3 😎

The funny thing about a lot of Pats fans is that we loved Matty Ice even before the above mentioned event. Still do. Boston College guy. I'm VERY happy he dropped back and took that huge sack at such a stupid time.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    28-3 😎

The funny thing about a lot of Pats fans is that we loved Matty Ice even before the above mentioned event. Still do. Boston College guy. I'm VERY happy he dropped back and took that huge sack at such a stupid time.

It cost me $12k. I was already paging through the Harley catalog for my new bike. Oh how I love Matty Ice.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2022 5:17AM

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

He "beats" Fouts pretty handily when comparing career stats, Ryan compares quite favorably with Marino.

The thing that stood out was how much Ryan got sacked. With better protection, he would most likely have been even better.

In context, Marino was considerably better based on era. It was much harder to accumulate stats in the 80s-90s. when 3000 yards was the baseline for a very good season, Dan was throwing for 4-5000 yards. His yardage and TD records lasted for 20+ seasons. He would be putting up Brady/Manning/Brees numbers had he played in this era.

raw stats dont take era into account.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

In context, Marino was considerably better based on era. It was much harder to accumulate stats in the 80s-90s. when 3000 yards was the baseline for a very good season, Dan was throwing for 4-5000 yards. His yardage and TD records lasted for 20+ seasons. He would be putting up Brady/Manning/Brees numbers had he played in this era.

No they don't, but the QB doesn't just get those stats by showing up.

Marino threw the ball a lot more than most in his era, so he actually was playing more like the current era. Marino's numbers actually could have benefitted by playing in the earlier era, when defenses were designed more to stop the run. I could just as easily claim Marino would have put up worse numbers if he was playing now, but I won't.

Funny thing about Marino, "he" never won a SB, yet as a better player than Ryan (imo), and using most of the thoughts expressed here, Dan should be considered MUCH more of a failure than Ryan.

The Falcons defense averaged the 18th ranked in points allowed during Ryan's time, and we're in the top 10 only 3 times. One of those times giving up 48 points in the playoffs to Aaron Rodgers.

Looks like Ryan had 1 bad game in the post season in 2011 against the Giants, who went on to win the SB over Tom Brady, so that year Ryan was just as good as Brady, I guess.

You could add a loss to the Eagles in 2017 as a poor game for Ryan. The Eagles went on to beat Tom Brady a few weeks later with (WHAT?) Nick Foles at QB. How can that even be possible?

On to Ryan's huge failure in the SB; he had a 144 QB rate in that game. The Falcons defense couldn't make a stop in the 2nd half and in OT, where Matt didn't even get an opportunity, and that's Ryan's fault?

In all but 1 of Ryan's failures in the playoffs, the opposing QB went on to play in the SB. These QBs were Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Tom Brady and (gulp) Nick Foles. The only QB to beat Ryan and not go on to play in the SB was Colin Kaepernick.

Ryan isn't as good as Marino, Manning, Favre, Rogers, Warner, Brady or Brees, but I think he belongs in the HOF.

Doesn't seem right to keep him out because of not only 1 bad game, but 1 bad half (actually 1 bad possession) in a very good career.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

No they don't, but the QB doesn't just get those stats by showing up.

Marino threw the ball a lot more than most in his era, so he actually was playing more like the current era. Marino's numbers actually could have benefitted by playing in the earlier era, when defenses were designed more to stop the run. I could just as easily claim Marino would have put up worse numbers if he was playing now, but I won't.

Funny thing about Marino, "he" never won a SB, yet as a better player than Ryan (imo), and using most of the thoughts expressed here, Dan should be considered MUCH more of a failure than Ryan.

The Falcons defense averaged the 18th ranked in points allowed during Ryan's time, and we're in the top 10 only 3 times. One of those times giving up 48 points in the playoffs to Aaron Rodgers.

Looks like Ryan had 1 bad game in the post season in 2011 against the Giants, who went on to win the SB over Tom Brady, so that year Ryan was just as good as Brady, I guess.

You could add a loss to the Eagles in 2017 as a poor game for Ryan. The Eagles went on to beat Tom Brady a few weeks later with (WHAT?) Nick Foles at QB. How can that even be possible?

On to Ryan's huge failure in the SB; he had a 144 QB rate in that game. The Falcons defense couldn't make a stop in the 2nd half and in OT, where Matt didn't even get an opportunity, and that's Ryan's fault?

In all but 1 of Ryan's failures in the playoffs, the opposing QB went on to play in the SB. These QBs were Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Tom Brady and (gulp) Nick Foles. The only QB to beat Ryan and not go on to play in the SB was Colin Kaepernick.

Ryan isn't as good as Marino, Manning, Favre, Rogers, Warner, Brady or Brees, but I think he belongs in the HOF.

Doesn't seem right to keep him out because of not only 1 bad game, but 1 bad half (actually 1 bad possession) in a very good career.

I agree that Ryan should be in the HOF.

there have been a number of rule changes over the last 15 or so years that definitely favor the passing game. dealing with both how QB and WR are able to be played by the defense. It was MUCH harder for QB to stay healthy pre 2008 or so. I think that is why so many analysts made such a big deal about Marino's quick release back then. he was able to get the ball out faster than almost all other QB and avoid major injury. He would have definitely been more comfortable in the pocket in todays game and had more time to read the defense.

• Options

The modern defenses have better cornerbacks and pass rushers.

While the rule changes would help lesser QBs, Marino's quick release already helps with that.

Saying he would be "more comfortable in the pocket" with his receivers covered and one of the modern day edge rushers bearing down on him? I'm not so sure of that.

For every change that has helped the passing game, defenses make adjustments. Look at how high corners and edge rushers go in today's draft.

I think Dan would do fine on today's game, but not necessarily a lot better. Higher completion percentage perhaps.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan had 10 straight 4000yd seasons and won an MVP but did anybody REALLY ever think he was great? I sure never have.

No HOF.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Ryan had 10 straight 4000yd seasons and won an MVP but did anybody REALLY ever think he was great? I sure never have.

No HOF.

I won’t look it up but how many yards because the Falcons were behind by double digits and he had to throw 50 passes.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

handily when comparin

@2dueces said:

@Tabe said:

No HOF.

>
    Brees is the only guy that did it that I could find. Not Brady, Rodgers or Manning. Looks pretty great to me.
    >
    >

I won’t look it up but how many yards because the Falcons were behind by double digits and he had to throw 50 passes.

>
    It's funny how two different people can look at the same statistic and reach the opposite conclusion. The opponent KNEW he was going to throw 50 passes, yet failed to stop him. He still completed 66% of his throws.

Not much talent running the ball after 2011.

Sacked 192 times in the last 5 years of his 4000 yd streak.

Threw 20 TD passes in 10 playoff games.

The more I look at this guy, the more I like him.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2022 8:04AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    handily when comparin

@2dueces said:

@Tabe said:

No HOF.

>
    Brees is the only guy that did it that I could find. Not Brady, Rodgers or Manning. Looks pretty great to me.
    >
    >

>
    It's funny how two different people can look at the same statistic and reach the opposite conclusion. The opponent KNEW he was going to throw 50 passes, yet failed to stop him. He still completed 66% of his throws.

That's hilarious, Ofcourse they knew and they didnt want to stop him, thats called taking care of a lead 101 with defenses giving the underneath stuff for free, they want you to complete passes in front of them so the clock drains

• Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    handily when comparin

@2dueces said:

@Tabe said:

No HOF.

>
    >
    >

>

That's hilarious, Ofcourse they knew and they didnt want to stop him, thats called taking care of a lead 101 with defenses giving the underneath stuff for free, they want you to complete passes in front of them so the clock drains

They finished first or second in their division 7 out of 10 years (and 3rd the other 3). They won 95 games in those 10 seasons, so your theory makes no sense at all.

He was only good because the other teams let him win.

Now that's hilarious!

The only two losing seasons their defense ranked 27th in the league.

7 of those seasons with little or no running game and a $hit defense.

In 8 of the 10 playoff games he played in he averaged 29 points per game.

You're right, he sucked.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2022 2:55PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    handily when comparin

@2dueces said:

@Tabe said:

No HOF.

>
    >
    >

>

They finished first or second in their division 7 out of 10 years (and 3rd the other 3). They won 95 games in those 10 seasons, so your theory makes no sense at all.

He was only good because the other teams let him win.

Now that's hilarious!

The only two losing seasons their defense ranked 27th in the league.

7 of those seasons with little or no running game and a $hit defense.

In 8 of the 10 playoff games he played in he averaged 29 points per game.

You're right, he sucked.

Huh???

I'm not talking about his overall career, if you re read my post you should realize it was a direct response to your post about being behind and opponents knowing he was going to throw.

( Hint- I quoted YOU )

I was counter pointing YOUR theory not giving mine

I respect Ryan's career and his accomplishments so calm down. Your acting like I disrespected the Vikings

And I never said he "Sucked" either btw

• Options

I think you are confused. I know I am.

I don't see where you quoted me, but I am on my phone, so maybe it's not showing up.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Care to let me know?

The OP specifically mentioned his "gaudy stats" and asked for HOF opinions.

We ARE talking about his 10 year run of 4000 passing yards. My response was to Tabe, who first mentioned that it didn't impress him.

2deuces claimed he was behind all the time and got his yardage because he had to pass.

I countered with the fact that if the defense knew he had to pass they would be playing him that way limiting his numbers, (certainly his yardage). My point was that each of us looked at his numbers and came up with opposite thoughts.

Then you(?) said the defense let him complete passes, "taking care of a lead 101".

He never won a SB, so a LOT of people here automatically think this is a big factor in HOF consideration. I disagree.

I also stated he was not as good as several other HOF QBs, but still good enough to get in.

You never said he sucked, that was a bit of sarcasm from me.

I never followed his career, but I knew he was good, now I see he was VERY good.

If he gets in, good for him. I would vote for him. If he doesn't, that won't bother me a bit.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

This is what I was referring too

Meaning that you were saying opponents KNEW he was going to throw in garbage time and he STILL completed a good % of passes, I countered with that its easy to have a high % in THAT situation because the defense gives you the middle of the field

Either way not a big deal, I was just counterpointing you, I was snarky so my apologies

I respect Ryan and believe he was very good, if he gets in the HOF I'm fine with it, I just don't think he was ever elite is all.

All good 🍻

• Options

@JoeBanzai
    I didn’t say he was behind all the time Joe. I asked, question, how much of that yardage was achieved when the Falcons were behind and he had to throw 50 times.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    @JoeBanzai
    I didn’t say he was behind all the time Joe. I asked, question, how much of that yardage was achieved when the Falcons were behind and he had to throw 50 times.

You could say that about ANY QB.

How many other QBs were able to sustain a 10 year streak of 4000+ yards? I found one, Drew Brees. There may be more.

In his first 5 seasons when he had a better defense and a running back, he doesn't appear to have been behind a lot with some pretty great W/L records, so I would say he was not behind a lot then.

Thanks to Tabe for mentioning it, even though you might not be impressed, I am.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

This is what I was referring too

Meaning that you were saying opponents KNEW he was going to throw in garbage time and he STILL completed a good % of passes, I countered with that its easy to have a high % in THAT situation because the defense gives you the middle of the field

Either way not a big deal, I was just counterpointing you, I was snarky so my apologies

I respect Ryan and believe he was very good, if he gets in the HOF I'm fine with it, I just don't think he was ever elite is all.

All good 🍻

Ok, I get it now.

The "prevent" defense is designed to limit big yardage gains as well as run out the clock. Primarily the discussion has been about yardage, not completion percentage, either way, a team that averages 9.5 wins a year isn't likely to be coming from behind all the time, or even a big percentage of the time.

As far as him being elite, he may not get the recognition other QBs do, he was able to maintain a 10 consecutive year performance that only Brees was able to match.

Wondering if Dallas is monitoring? What do you think Dallas?