Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Trying to get a feel for the grade on this 1919 Buffalo Nickel *Video Added* Updated with grade

jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2023 6:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked up this raw 1919 Buffalo Nickel from my LCS. I noticed it in the case and was surprised that it had very strong 1938-D look to it. It does have a small mark on the neck on the obverse and a spot of verdigris under the bison's chin. I paid 63 money for it and trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to send in for grading.

Also, are verdigris spots removable using Verdi-Care on Buffalo's without leaving a glaring spot?

The spots below the eye are raised areas that are part of the design.

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try soaking it in Acetone before using Verdi-Care. Looks like it might have some PVC haze, which may have caused the green spot.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

If acetone did not remove the affected areas on the obverse AND I thought it might grade 65 or even 64, I would send it in and have it conserved and probably have a better chance at the higher grade. Nice coin. I like the die crack and die clash on the obverse, it adds character to an already beautiful coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

My GTG pre-submission is 65….without any conservation…i believe the spot on the reverse is inconsequential…

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An acetone soak would be worth it, just to see if the reverse spot disappears. Looks like a 64+ or 65 coin.... Interesting small die clash on the obverse. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Q-Tip that spot with acetone. If that doesn't work, try MS70 on a Q-Tip, just rinse the crap out of it afterwards.

This post brought to you by Q-Tip.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree—4 or 5.

Tom

• Options

I appreciate the feedback. I'll try the acetone and see if it helps. I just didn't want to take a chance of removing the spot an leaving something even worse looking.

The die crack and the clash are part of what drew me to the coin. The luster I have to say is surprisingly bright. Like I said in my OP, it really has a 38-D look to it. Most of your grade assessments are in line with mine. I am putting it at around a 65, if it were not for that hit on the neck and spots, I would have put it at a 66+/67.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    If acetone did not remove the affected areas on the obverse AND I thought it might grade 65 or even 64, I would send it in and have it conserved and probably have a better chance at the higher grade. Nice coin. I like the die crack and die clash on the obverse, it adds character to an already beautiful coin.
    Jim

Couldn't have said it better. Also notice the "chin whiskers" that were unsuccessfully removed .

Poorly struck top feather, but that doesn't affect the head detail on Black Diamond.

It might garner a 64, but I do like it at 63.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@BuffaloIronTail
    I agree, Pete, the feather is quite weak, but with the hubbing deficiencies it can occur most places on this buff. But, as you said, with the outstanding head, chest and cape detail, my gosh, what a gorgeous buff. I mentioned that with the pcgs conservation the 64 might jump to a 65 and if so, quite the value jump. Regardless, at 63 price, great pickup.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one in MS65. It’s hard to see a difference between the two except yours may have a bit more detail on the Buffalo. Based on that, and I know we shouldn’t grade based on photos, I would guess 65+ to 66.

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Nice looking '19 it's hard to get any grade in the High 65/66 range on Buffaloes they just do not come that easy but with the Conservation you may have a shot, the late teens and 20's are the hardest to get well struck, looks like you have a winner!

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    @BuffaloIronTail
    I agree, Pete, the feather is quite weak, but with the hubbing deficiencies it can occur most places on this buff. But, as you said, with the outstanding head, chest and cape detail, my gosh, what a gorgeous buff. I mentioned that with the pcgs conservation the 64 might jump to a 65 and if so, quite the value jump. Regardless, at 63 price, great pickup.
    Jim

The feather being weak is more due to insufficient metal displacement because of the feather being almost directly opposite the head on Black Diamond.

Depending on strike pressure, and even with a hammered strike, that feather will end up weak. Look at 1924-D. They are ALL that way.

I really has nothing to do with hubbing, Jim. It has everything to do with STRIKING.

Pete

• Options

Thanks for the info, Pete.
    Jim

• Options

Static images can only show so much. I'm far from the Buffalo expert that many of you are. I felt that it has a very decent strike. Here are a couple videos of the obverse and reverse that show the luster and strike characteristics.

https://youtu.be/izUed7lhMPM

https://youtu.be/jZM9E8jB1us

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking nickel in the video.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Justin!! It’s a great looking 1919.

• Options

Thank you Bob! It was one of those coins that the moment you see it, you know you have to buy it.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:
    Well, I finally got the grades in on a handful of coins I sent in. They went ATS, as a dealer I know has a son who worked for PMG and submitted the coins for me under his discount. It took a couple of months, but the wait was worth it. The 1919 Buffalo above came back as a MS-66. I was very pleasantly surprised as I had originally put it at MS-65.

The submission overall was a mixed bag as they typically are. I had a couple Morgan Dollars that I thought were lock DMPL's only come back as PL (an 1897-S and a 1878 7/8TF). But I had a 1951 Proof Franklin that I bought in a set that was in a Capital Plastics holder come back as a PF-67. I had estimated it as a 66 with a shot at 67, so that was another win.

My last home run was a 1941-S Mercury Dime I bought in a ICG holder as a MS-67 FB. It graded out as a MS-67 FB PL. I had bought it because it looked PL to me and had just a bit of haze covering the flashy fields, so I took a chance on it and it paid off.

I had a couple of 1909 Lincoln Cents come back as 64's that really have me scratching my head. I had two coins go "Details" but not sure exactly what the details designations are yet.

Without even looking at them I'd suggest looking at Lincoln's coat on the 2 MS 64's. That's where they getcha.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@DollarAfterDollar said:

@jtlee321 said:
    Well, I finally got the grades in on a handful of coins I sent in. They went ATS, as a dealer I know has a son who worked for PMG and submitted the coins for me under his discount. It took a couple of months, but the wait was worth it. The 1919 Buffalo above came back as a MS-66. I was very pleasantly surprised as I had originally put it at MS-65.

The submission overall was a mixed bag as they typically are. I had a couple Morgan Dollars that I thought were lock DMPL's only come back as PL (an 1897-S and a 1878 7/8TF). But I had a 1951 Proof Franklin that I bought in a set that was in a Capital Plastics holder come back as a PF-67. I had estimated it as a 66 with a shot at 67, so that was another win.

My last home run was a 1941-S Mercury Dime I bought in a ICG holder as a MS-67 FB. It graded out as a MS-67 FB PL. I had bought it because it looked PL to me and had just a bit of haze covering the flashy fields, so I took a chance on it and it paid off.

I had a couple of 1909 Lincoln Cents come back as 64's that really have me scratching my head. I had two coins go "Details" but not sure exactly what the details designations are yet.

Without even looking at them I'd suggest looking at Lincoln's coat on the 2 MS 64's. That's where they getcha.

I will do that when they get back. I don't remember seeing any issues there, but my memory won't be as good as actually looking again. Thank you for the advice.

• Options

@jtlee321 said:
    Static images can only show so much. I'm far from the Buffalo expert that many of you are. I felt that it has a very decent strike. Here are a couple videos of the obverse and reverse that show the luster and strike characteristics.

Those 2 videos look quite different than the original pics. They show a lot more blast, and don't look as dull.

That is why I really do not like grading by pics.

Pete

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the spot come off on the reverse?

• Options

@Connecticoin said:
    Did the spot come off on the reverse?

I think I soaked it in acetone, but I don't remember for sure. I'll have to look at it again once it gets back.

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@jtlee321 said:

Those 2 videos look quite different than the original pics. They show a lot more blast, and don't look as dull.

That is why I really do not like grading by pics.

Pete

I agree, that's why I had posted the video. They always seem to show the luster much better than a static image.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file