Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An Edward the Martyr Penny

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 25, 2022 2:43PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

The coin finally arrived yesterday, and it's what I expected it to be. The preservation is good, but the lettering is not perfect. PCGS graded it AU-55.

Here are the contents of my notebook.

Edward the Martyr Penny, S-1142, Obverse: EADVVARD REX ANGLO “Edward king of England” Reverse: +EANVLF M-O LINDEOLE Eanulf (moneyer) Lincoln Mint. Weight 1.21 gr. A rare coin for a king who ruled for only three years.

Edward was the son of Edger. His mother was married to Edger before Edger married Elfrida. He was 13 when he became king, which was a bad age. He was too young and inexperienced to know how to be a king, and yet old enough to give orders. He did not listen to his advisors and was known for having temper tantrums.

Edward was unwilling or unable to run the country. There was a widespread famine and civil unrest ensued. Monasteries were sacked, and there was in breakdown in the rule of law.

A building collapse at a royal council meeting at Caine in Wiltshire in early 978 further complicated matters. Dunstan, an important cleric at the time, survived.

On March 18, 978 Edward paid a visit to his step mother, Elfrida. Although she welcomed Edward with a cup of mead upon his arrival, she or one of her attendants murdered him. Evidence suggests that Elfrida, the mother of the next king, Æthelred II, had him killed.

Edward was quickly buried at Wareham.

Not long after his burial, miracles began to occur in connection with his body. He was later reburied at Shaftesbury and sanctified as “Edward the

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Congrats, that's really nice.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Not long after his burial, miracles began to occur in connection with his body. He was later reburied at Shaftesbury and sanctified as “Edward the

@BillJones I am glad the coin arrived and I always enjoy your posts, but the suspense is killing me. "He was later reburied at Shaftesbury and sanctified as 'Edward the'". As Edward the what?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.

Edward the Martyr is a tough one, due to the brevity of his reign.

The “evil stepmother” trope is strong with this story. The history is more believable than the hagiography. Edward’s death was almost certainly planned by a significant faction of dissatisfied nobles. Aelfthryth, mother of Aethelred, and stepmother to Edward, might have been involved in the plot, and certainly would benefit as her son was next in line, but it is doubtful that she alone orchestrated the murder. Edward was buried without royal honors, suggesting a significant faction opposed to his legitimacy. It was only later when he was venerated that all the colorful additions were made to the story.

Here is mine-

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@BillJones said:

@BillJones I am glad the coin arrived and I always enjoy your posts, but the suspense is killing me. "He was later reburied at Shaftesbury and sanctified as 'Edward the'". As Edward the what?

I'm guessing as Edward the Martyr, or is there more to the story?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ex-Stewartby:

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@BillJones said:

Whoops! I guess I clipped my copy and paste. The last word is “martyr.” He didn’t rate becoming a saint. The only British king who got that distinction was Edward the Confessor.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome addition!