Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Damaged?

I bought this 1928 Saint back in 1978 with my paper route money. I had always wanted one, so I saved up for it. I sent it in for grading so I could get an idea on its value and for easier resale. I got my grade back today and it is Unc Details, damaged. It does have quite a few dings on it but can someone point out what the damage is? When I get it back will there be any explanation?
Thanks.

Watch the mirror count the lines
The battle scars of all the good times

Comments

• Options
    BeeManBeeMan Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

Oops. Here are some larger images:

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2022 1:34PM

Look around the rim. Lots of indentations, nicks, etc. Suggests it was once in a bezel or something, so I'd expect an ex-jewelry designation. The slab often specifies, but not always.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not being a gold collector, I would imagine the rims are pretty scarred up obverse and reverse. Just an opinion though.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the rim damage as stated above but still a nice coin regardless, especially if you bought it at 1978 prices.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great deal of rim damage. I suspect the cumulative effect resulted in the determination. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before reading any of the comments, I noticed the rim was a little wonky, and I have barely any experience grading. so I think it’s safe to assume that’s what caused the details grade after seeing everyone else’s comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the banged up rims the whole front of the gown and left knee has many hits. Eagle looks great! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thanks for the comments. So is this coin basically just worth melt value now?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BeeMan said:

The coin’s still worth a good amount over its melt value, which is currently about $1600. You should be able to get approximately $1775-$1800 wholesale for your coin, at present.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Thanks Mark.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BeeMan said:
    Thanks Mark.

You’re most welcome, BeeMan and I think it’s great that you bought the coin with paper route money!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BeeMan said:

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it back in 1978?

Trade $'s
  • Options

@TennesseeDave said:

@BeeMan said:

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it back in 1978?

Just checked my records $310 in December 1977.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

An awesome numismatic story! Please don’t sell the coin…so much hard work went into buying the coin…hang onto it and share the coin with your kids…

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file