Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Incuse inscription errors, mistakes; or wetf you would call it.

FrazFraz Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curiosity drives me to ask as I build a set of ATB quarters.

No, I do not have a coin that I think has a an error from the mint; this query results from aimless thoughts as I examine dates; I do not enrich myself from the coins I get. I do not ask you how much coins are worth, nor the rarity; I can ballpark a value if I know what the piece is. Maybe dumb questions, but not one-post-make-me-wealthy ones.

The question is:

Do any a forum readers have a coin or photo of a coin in which the incuse inscription was poorly stricken, or otherwise effed up before it leaves the mint, that they would post for my look see?

I have two fails at clear, understandable questions here because of janky text or errant terminology. I try to improve. Just let me know.
I enjoy reading what the brains around here add. You’re what I read now—Craig.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

one of the best examples imo, is the "golden" dollar (sac, pres, etc) series edge lettering.

i've seen TONNNNSSS of various depths of the letters/numerals.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2022 9:22AM

@Fraz said:

Do any a forum readers have a coin or photo of a coin in which the incuse inscription was poorly stricken...

The word would be struck. :D

My guess is that you have seen a recent thread or two with what turned out to be machine doubling on incuse lettering?

There have been a few threads over the past couple years on this but searching could be tough since the people who started those threads did not know what they had and so the titles won't be of much help.

There will be machine doubling to look out for, as well as die deterioration. Maybe others have more to add, including photos. :)

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep asking questions and reading the posts. You appear to want to learn, so a lot of the minor things like terminology can be forgiven by many members. Even if you get a snarky reply, it may still have useful info so.make the best and learn from it rather than letting an old curmudgeon bring you down (I've been an old curmudgeon on numerous occasions).

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2022 9:07AM

@JBK said:

@Fraz said:

Do any a forum readers have a coin or photo of a coin in which the incuse inscription was poorly stricken...

The work would be struck. :D

That’s not numismatic; it’s English! Man, the end is near!

My guess is that you have seen a recent thread…?

No, just wondering, like left-facing Lincolns, effects of inflation on canine currency, stuff
    Iike that.

I cur mudgeons, now and then.
    Maybe someone will entertain us with an example—
    Thanks.

• Options

i'm pretty sure i posted some images to a thread recently that showed the edges of the dollars i mentioned.

i'll try to think of what thread it was and either bump it or post the link to it here.

if you don't get some images or a link, tag me as a reminder to look for it again.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many pre-1838 coins where the incused E PLURIBUS UNUM is weak in certain areas due to the striking.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    There are many pre-1838 coins where the incused E PLURIBUS UNUM is weak in certain areas due to the striking.

that is a good point. the motto, liberty on headband and shield etc.

• Options

I’m not fond of the look of the incuse inscriptions of ATBs, the date in particular.
    Could be that:
    Incuse design results prettier with larger-sized impressions?
    That graphics result prettier than text?
    Old man view?
    Any souls have incuse opinions or photos of pretty examples of the incuse?
    [still sorting quarters]
    Wondering if there are still seven dog dollars to the people dollar?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no doubt that artists' renditions often/usually look better than the final product.

The British used incused dates and inscriptions on the obverse of their 1797 (!) large penny and two pence coins, and I must say they look sharp. But a lot of modern incuse lettering ends up mushy and shallow.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the Five Dollar Indian gold coins..... Might be some good examples for your review. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file