Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Am I reading this right? 86 F Jordan

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/basketball-cards/1986-fleer/michael-jordan/values/299576#g=7

Jordan RC PSA 7s were just under $20K in Feb 2021 and are now sub $5K?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
Kiss me twice.....let's party.

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you're reading it correctly. Lots of overreaction in that time window to the (I'm pretty sure) fake $700k PSA 10 sales.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

lots of cards are correcting.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, has the population changed?

I feel like a lot of people sent in cards during the pandemic, and that card was chief among them.

I don’t own one or want one but it’s a great card, for sure.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

90’s raw inserts are moving up - the top is coming down in many things, but the floor is moving up for most things

Interesting times

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

They are. I've been watching some unopened and that seems to be dropping too in several auctions. This is just the beginning, and I think the bottom is still months away.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think for this card in particular PSA grading Star cards has an affect on price. Tough to still consider many of the rookies in ‘86 Fleer rookies. The perfect storm - Covid, the Bulls documentary, a huge Sportscard particularly basketball card boom, and now PSA grading Star cards all have led to such a dramatic drop.

• Options

another example of market correction. 02 Topps SB GU auto Brady /150 in BGS 9 sold in may 2022 for 156K.

Same card sold again just a few days ago for 30K!!!

not even the goat is immune.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Star cards did not have a normal distribution like a wax pack, cello pack, rack pack or vending box…but instead in team baggies. :( Personally…this turns me off to this card. Also…even though it is his first card in 1984…the card itself pales in comparison to the 1986 Fleer Jordan…which screams Air Jordan. IMHO…the 1986 Fleer Jordan will be more desirable than the 1984 Jordan for this reason once the PSA news of grading Star cards wanes. To each his own…but my card to own is still the 1986 Fleer Jordan.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s shocking to me the prices from 2020 versus today. Manipulators…very sad.

That said, isn’t this card in a 9 a solid 20-25k card for the foreseeable future. Seems that the right price given demand and relatively (non) scarcity.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

there’s a giant sucking sound from the 86 fleers now that psa is grading star cards.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 9 just sold for $15,700 on eBay - completed auction - 18 bids. Nice looking card.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Looks like a 9 just sold for $15,700 on eBay - completed auction - 18 bids. Nice looking card.

Was a 6-7k card a couple years ago. still a nice return.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2022 5:58AM

The Jordan Fleer is a great looking and classic sportscard; it is also sadly the poster child for the type of brazen manipulation that is all too easy to pull off in our unregulated hobby. The card possessed all the key ingredients needed— it was genuinely popular and was able to be bought up across all grade ranges. As others have said, it was fake sold until that hype "took" and ensnared real people outside the scam. The cadre who did the initial buying made out fantastically and it is a shame they got away with it. The card's prices have crashed tremendously since the highs, that were fueled by fraud. The card's undergirding pop data should have told everyone who bought at those highs, that those prices were unsustainable. There are simply a ton of examples in grades 8 and up in the various TPG holders.

As to the Star, grade-for-grade, pound-for-pound, the Star outsells the Fleer by a wide margin. Lots of people like to compare the two in terms of what card is "best," an exercise which I find asinine. It's all subjective and any two cards are not in a boxing ring with each other. They're cards; most collectors will want both, otherwise buy the one that calls to you for whatever reason. People do the same thing sometimes with the 51B and 52T Mantle. It's silly. That said, I believe there is some manipulation taking place on the Star in these nascent stages of its market formation in PSA holders. We won't know the full picture until copies of it change hands a few more times, and leave the hands of the first wave of sellers who are trying to control the price; I'd say two more years of data will be needed to know where it really stands. I love that card yet am sitting on the sidelines til then for those reasons.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

I hold the Star rookie in much higher regard. It is a fully licensed card showing a young Jordan during his rookie season.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I hold the Star rookie in much higher regard. It is a fully licensed card showing a young Jordan during his rookie season.

Yup. The 86 Fleer Jordan is his third year card. Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder. Being a 3rd year card isn't a matter of taste...it is simply not his rookie card.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2022 3:06PM

I would agree w/DM23HOF in that I would hold off buying a 1984 Star Jordan card until the “newness” of PSA now grading it wanes….otherwise you might be holding the Baggie literally. The collector/investor paying $400,000+ for the 1st PSA-9 will be singing the Blues…

mint_only_pls