Options

The Super Bowl

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2022 2:35AM in Sports Talk

MLB final - 7 games

NBA final - 7 games

NHL final - 7 games

NFL final - 1 game

Think of all the money the league and finalists would get if it was best 2 out of 3.

One game at each winners home field and game 3 at a neutral site.

Would be exciting to see, and season ticket holders would be rewarded with a one game Super Bowl playoff game.

Comments

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the other leagues reward the home fans with their championship.

The NFL rewards the rich and famous and corporations more than the teams fan base who support them year round with ticket and merchandise sales.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the other three and compare their popularity with the NFL. They have expanded their playoffs to increase the waning interest. I agree with @Goldenage about home-field advantage and have always felt the SB should be played at whichever team has earned that through the season, just like in the god old days of pre-Super Bowl NFL Championships.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

The only thing I'd change about the SB is move it to Saturday

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niners and Bills.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saturday Super Bowl is the only thing to change about it

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Saturday Super Bowl is the only thing to change about it

Perky, you make a good point!......All the people with Super Bowl party hangovers will have an extra day to recover before going back to work on Monday if the game is on a Saturday!....BRAVO!!!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to see a Super Bowl on a Saturday, let's leave it as it is on Sunday and make the Monday after a national holiday.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    I don't want to see a Super Bowl on a Saturday, let's leave it as it is on Sunday and make the Monday after a national holiday.

hey LandrysFedora,
    I like the idea with that Monday being a holiday, although it should not be a national holiday to where snail mail parcels would be shut down...ya never know I might have an out for delivery that day and I would have to post my snail mail on the monthly "Pick-Up's" topic... B)

• Options
    edited October 22, 2022 7:26PM

I went to the first Super Bowl. I was 12. L.A. Memorial Colesium.... Best football stadium EVER!....My Uncle Lloyd took me.....his pretty wife, Rose, went too......Had a great time!!!.....
    Uncle Lloyd was a World War II veteran. Paratrooper. He and his twin brother, my Uncle Floyd, were dropped in on D-Day......over France.....They survived..... Looking back?.......Those two guys were tougher than any of those football players.....Way more Tough!!!!

Where would you rather be?......I thought so...

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@LandrysFedora said:

hey LandrysFedora,
    I like the idea with that Monday being a holiday, although it should not be a national holiday to where snail mail parcels would be shut down...ya never know I might have an out for delivery that day and I would have to post my snail mail on the monthly "Pick-Up's" topic... B)

Hey GroceryRackPack, that sounds good to me! We can put that provision in the "National Super Bowl Monday Bill" when we submit it to congress. lol

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one and done format of the NFL playoffs is a huge part of the appeal. It is also a necessity because teams can only play once per week. Teams that play on a short week, on a Thursday night, usually fail to bring their "A game".

Also, the "any given Sunday" concept would be mitigated with a best 2 out of 3 series. In a series, moreso than an individual game, the better overall team will usually win.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A two of three format would compel the League to see to it the same team did not win the first two. Lost revenue.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football is not like any other sport. It’s too rough to play a best two out of three series.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it at one game. but I agree, either make it super bowl saturday or give us monday off. either would be fine

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.