Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Observe & Reverse Struck Thru Twine Mint Error

SrivanoSrivano Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited October 22, 2022 9:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I buy on EBay a 10 sets SMS in the original mint box…. I got this nice surprise :smile:

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've not seen a lot of these, but that is the first strike thru of a single foreign item that shows on both sides of the coin I've seen. Very neat. Does the edge show signs of the string?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    SrivanoSrivano Posts: 22 ✭✭

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is truly a neatest strike thru, if that is the correct diagnosis, that I have ever seen. Wow, both sides. Not a collector but if I was that would be in the top of my want list. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice strike thru error.

Great find.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC may be able to grade the entire original set, like this:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1968-d-5c-jefferson-nickel-5-curved-clip-in-mint-set-ngc-from-the-new-england-collection-of-error-coins/a/1143-11586.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I think it would add and preserve more value this way if you ever wanted to get it graded.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a pretty deep struck thru! On both sides though? How does that happen? Doesn't seem to have weakness in the areas on the opposit sides of the strike through.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Doesn't seem to have weakness in the areas on the opposit sides of the strike through.

It shouldn't. The pressure is the same. ;)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

It shouldn't. The pressure is the same. ;)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

An unusual strike through that is easy to see.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice - congrats!!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)
    <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye. Let us know if you do holder the set as is. Think NGC would grade the set thru the cello? Gotta love that bag twine. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a unique struck through... both sides, good impressions. Great find. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    That's a pretty deep struck thru! On both sides though? How does that happen? Doesn't seem to have weakness in the areas on the opposit sides of the strike through.

String must have been folded around the planchet somehow. Very cool find! I agree with considering keeping set intact and graded.

----- kj
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

GRATZ

finding stuff like that in sets is wuderbar!

that is a particularly nice example of a struck through thick fiber or whatever.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Is the coin for sale? I will buy it and get it certified.

• Options

I have Platinum membership on PCGS and I’m planing to grade it :smile:

• Options

I find a very similar error coin on EBay….

• Options

@Srivano said:
    I have Platinum membership on PCGS and I’m planing to grade it :smile:

Ask, beg, plead, with Jon to label it "Struck Thru Twine (or String) " and just not a plain ole "Struck Thru" Mint Error.

• Options

OK, I'll ask since no one has addressed the subject.

What kind of value does something like this have??

• Options
    edited October 22, 2022 10:29AM

@JBK said:

Sounds like the coin is not for sale so at this moment in time it is priceless.

Price for errors like this are determined by many, many factors, most of which is eye appeal.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

This person can’t sell theirs at $325 (and they dropped the price by ~$100 over the past month), so not exactly priceless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204039663917

• Options

I whish have more experience on this topic, i want to thanks for all opinions and I would love to know more about this type of error…. Is this double strike??? Is rare?
    :smiley:

• Options

@1madman said:

@JBK said:

This person can’t sell theirs at $325 (and they dropped the price by ~$100 over the past month), so not exactly priceless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204039663917

That coin sold >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file