Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Worthy of a Review...on my 1961 Mantle PSA-7.5?

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 21, 2022 12:34PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Today is Mickey Mantle's birthday...he would have been 91. To celebrate/honor his birthday...PSA posted some of his cards on Twitter including a beautiful recently graded 1961 Mickey Mantle PSA-10. I own a 1961 Mantle PSA-7.5 in which mine shares the same minor print spot on his jersey just like the 1961 Mantle PSA-10. The PSA-10 also has one small fish eye on the nameplate whereas mine is clean. The PSA-10 does have better centering top to bottom than mine (the centering on mine is 52/48 side-to-side and 56/44 top-to-bottom). I am not saying mine is a PSA-10...heavens no ( the centering top-to-bottom precludes a PSA-10 or even a PSA-9) ..but a PSA-7.5.?! I carefully examined my PSA-7.5...and there is no hidden wrinkles and the back of the card is problem-free and the corners are sharp under a loupe. Let me know if you think a review is warranted. Here are the two 1961 Mickey Mantles:

mint_only_pls

Comments

• You got the grader of death for this card. This should be an 8.

• MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Monte,
    That 7.5 is incredible. IMO, it is a very strong 8. Id either send it in for review or just sell it to me :smile:

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭

A stunner!

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2022 10:17AM

Is there something on the back? That front is not only a 8 but I would say an 8.5 or a 9.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be at least an 8 all day. Beautiful card.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2022 12:41PM

My scanner went kaputt...so I will try and put the link from PWCC website describing the card and showing the back of the card as well.

https://sales-history.pwccmarketplace.com/items/MONTHLY1925154

It actually worked...just click on the link and you can see the back, too...as well as a description.

mint_only_pls
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2022 9:24PM

The 7.5 is a better card than the 10, because it provides the same experience to the eye for a fraction of the price. Put those two cards in a wall display side-by-side and take a step back to a casual viewing distance, and they will look identical.

Unless selling, I'd keep it in the 7.5 holder; it is more impressive with the lower grade sticker and proves you are a buyer with an eye who buys the card. Why throw money into having a random grader tell you what your eyes and everyone else's eyes know to be true-- namely that the card looks as good as any 8.5/9 and even a 10? Of course if selling, why not have it in a higher grade and get the grade whores to chase it as well as those who buy the card.

Though I would def review and not crack, as it seems a bit shorter than the 10; this is apparent in the gap between the card and the northern inner ridge of the holder. These days they can kick that as EOT or MSQ.

We've all either cracked out cards ourselves or seen it done by others over the years, where a 7 comes back a 9, an 8 becomes a 10, etc. So we all know the grade is just one guy's subjective opinion on one day. A different guy or a different day, a different grade. Hence unless selling, keep it and let eyeballs of the beholders do the evaluating. Bottom line: gorgeous card that more than speaks for itself.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the card was purchased and it was and is a stunner. I think PSA should have a program where cards like this get reviewed and they detail why it is the grade it is and not a higher one. I think the more they educate the public the better it will be for their business. Frustrating for collectors to have no idea why something comes back a 7.5 when it should be higher.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just exposes-- along with how myriad other examples have exposed-- how arbitrary, subjective, and downright silly the grading game is. My opinion is the real fault lies in guys out there who see all this evidence and still choose to put the grade and grader on some pedestal. Paying huge sums for high grades when someone can cultivate an eye and buy the same card or sometimes better looking for less in a lower grade holder, that to me is folly. Or these Registry addicts who compete, it is all just putting the sticker over the card. It is sticker collecting not card collecting. They actually have books dedicated to that niche:

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    I remember when the card was purchased and it was and is a stunner. I think PSA should have a program where cards like this get reviewed and they detail why it is the grade it is and not a higher one. I think the more they educate the public the better it will be for their business. Frustrating for collectors to have no idea why something comes back a 7.5 when it should be higher.

Agree times infinity!

Shane

Unless there is some hidden flaw that we can't see in the scan.... That grade is ridiculous.

Shane

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF

I post enough that I think you know I agree with you on card over holder every day of the week.

But I also like the Registry. There’s a lot to like - connectivity, organization, inventory, display - in addition to the competition. There are certainly cards that graded out high in the past and are in high numbered holders that cause it to look like it does not measure up to today’s standards and maybe cause you to scratch your head but there are also some really stunning cards encapsulated in high numbered holders, too.

I also think sending cards in for grading is frustrating for everyone because you have so many examples out there for comparison once your grade is assigned. And let’s face it, the subtleties and aesthetic appeal of what people value - corners vs centering - also comes into play greatly. I know plenty of collectors who don’t care one bit about centering; that blows my mind!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2022 6:48PM

The card looks great. However, looking at both the front and back, you can see that there is a small amount of wear at a couple of corners. In this case, that would seem to be the difference between a 7.5 and a 10. We can argue about whether such minor wear should impact the grade so severely. But based on PSA ‘s published grading criteria, it does seem accurate. It is certainly the nicest 7.5 on the planet.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure seems like what the 8.5 grade was made for!

@balco758 said:
    Sure seems like what the 8.5 grade was made for!

Exactly

Shane