Home Sports Talk
Options

Tom Brady's lame comment about football season

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I almost look at like a football season like you’re going away on deployment in the military, and it’s like, ‘Man, here I go again,’” Brady said during an interview with the ‘Let’s Go’ podcast, one that featured Kevin Durant and Jim Gray.

Speaking from personal experience, and having actually deployed twice, once to Korea for 13 months on a nasty troop ship for 18 days at sea, and the other to Vietnam for a year, where you get shot at...This statement by Brady has found me losing all respect for him. He has not a remote clue what its like to go on an actual deployment. He insults every person, male/female who've ever had to say goodbye at the airport with the thought of never coming home. Brady, OTOH lived like a king, had everything life had to offer and NEVER SPENT A DAY IN HIS LIFE IN THE MILITARY and is now delusional to make such an idiotic comparison to how tough a football season is. I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point.

Tom should visit the Vietnam War Memorial in DC, there are more than 58,000 names etched in the granite, I know 4 of them. These brave souls went and served, either volunteered or were sent, but they all deployed, and right or wrong, they served their country. You, Tom Brady couldn't hold a candle to any of them.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pretty common for coaches/players to compare playing their sport to the field of battle ie. "going to war" "the field of battle" etc. I don't think it is meant as a put-down to those who served in the real fields of battle, it has become a common colloquialism
    of course, while we all know playing a sport is nothing AT ALL like the real thing, it has become a common analogy for professional sports. not a big deal in my book.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

eesh that is a little insensitive.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 9:57AM

I can see how it would offend someone who actually has been deployed to a foreign country and put in HARMS way

Massive difference than playing a football game then eating a gourmet dinner after flying back to your posh lifestyle

Nobody is forcing you to play Tommy, your playing because you Want to play. If you don't then retire, it's that simple

Disclaimer: I don't think he meant any disrespect for anyone whatsoever

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 11:22AM

I know where you're coming from MCMLVT.....But, ease up buddy.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand the Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."
    Col. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller USMC

I'd like to add:......Yes, shipping out is bad.......But the coming home part is really good!......Kind of a wash....You gotta' take the bad with the good...That's Life...

SEMPER FIDELIS

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a terribly tone-deaf comment. I'd like to think that his reference was more about leaving his family for an extended period of time like a deployment, than that football is actually like war, but I don't know that to be true.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculously stupid and insensitive comment.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Ridiculously stupid and insensitive comment.

I totally agree and I would like to believe that Brady likely wishes he hadn't said it in retrospect.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 3:31PM

@AFLfan said:
    It is a terribly tone-deaf comment. I'd like to think that his reference was more about leaving his family for an extended period of time like a deployment, than that football is actually like war, but I don't know that to be true.

Sometimes the slightest thing, A nothing really, can bring back memories, bad memories, and emotions cloud everything else out......I've seen the strongest, bravest grown men break down and cry like a baby......from remembering..... It's tough......Let's go easy on this.......

Actually, this thread chokes me up.......All day long......It chokes me up.😢

SEMPER FIDELIS

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont agree with everything that comes out of Tommys mouth, but I really think this one is being blown way out of proportion. TONS of athletes/coaches have used the military analogy and no one
    gets bent out of shape until Tommy does it.

everyone likes to get offended nowadays.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 4:42PM

He shouldn't have said it. Is this the full quote? He should have qualified it with some qualifiers.

But I am sure someone could comb the internet and make a compilation of many athletes doing this. And a lot of people.

I was never in the military. Many family members were. I am close with an uncle who is a Vietnam vet. I have been through things, myself and with close family members, that many people haven't. I won;t say what they are, but I hear people, celebrities, in the media, and in everyday life, using these experiences in speech in such a way. It does make me pause when I hear them. So I understand why this post was started.

ETA: Here is something that I can never forget. I was in high school during during the Gulf War. My grandmother (RIP Nanny) was driving me somewhere, going through the center of our small Massachusetts town. There was a banner, welcoming veteran's home. She said something like "They never had anything like that welcoming my Danny home". Danny being my Uncle Dan.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I dont agree with everything that comes out of Tommys mouth, but I really think this one is being blown way out of proportion. TONS of athletes/coaches have used the military analogy and no one
    gets bent out of shape until Tommy does it.

everyone likes to get offended nowadays.

Kevin Garnett made a stupid statement about getting some guns and "going to war", just as stupid.

Only sports idiots compare their jobs to the military, they should all be told to STFU.

I never thought Tommy-boy was that stupid,......... I guess he is.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

^^Another idiot.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best thing Brady could do at this point is to simply apologize for his woefully pathetic analogy. If you haven't "been there and done that", you need to keep your pie hole shut when you comment about something of which you know NADA. No, I don't give him a pass on this one, I have memories I wish I didn't have. Brady signed to play football, others signed to defend this wonderful country. Brady got millions and millions and others came home in a gray box. Where's the comparison??

https://www.newsweek.com/tom-brady-angry-backlash-saying-nfl-like-military-deployment-1753154

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing football or fighting terrorist.....hhhhmmmmm, let me get back with you on that one.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marv Levy corrected those who used war and combat metaphors to describe football games by telling them that he actually fought in a war and that football and war were in no way comparable. Referring to the Super Bowl, he said "This is not a must-win; World War II was a must-win".

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don