Home Sports Talk
Options

Would Belichick stick with Zappe?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article about the mind of Bill Belichick and the quarterback position.

Could Bill Belichick pull a Bill Belichick again with his QBs? Of course he could!

We’ve seen this before, haven’t we? A Patriots starting QB with seemingly all the job security in the world goes down with an injury, his younger backup steps in, wins some games and then… wins the starting job for the rest of time. Well, for the rest of his time in New England, at least.

That happened way back in 2001, of course, when Drew Bledsoe, who had just a few months before signed the biggest contract in NFL history at the time, was knocked out of a game early in the season against the Jets with a serious injury. Tom Brady took over, started off slowly, and then a few months down the line was the guy leading the team to its first-ever Super Bowl win.

That was crazy when it happened because Bledsoe had the big contract and was considered a star and everyone in New England thought he would be their quarterback for years to come.

That didn’t happen, though, as Belichick saw something that he liked in Brady and made the move that changed the NFL forever.

Now here we are in 2022, Belichick is still in charge of the Patriots, and it looks like he could have to make another decision about his QBs with one option being of the shocking variety.

Mac Jones, who the Patriots used a first round pick on last year, has missed the last three games with an ankle injury. The last time we saw him he was throwing three bad interceptions (and no touchdowns) in a loss at home to the Ravens.

Since then, Bailey Zappe has stepped for most of three games and almost won all three of them (the only loss being in OT at Lambeau Field in his first NFL appearance ). He looked great Sunday against the Browns, throwing for 329 yards, 2 TDs and zero INTs in a 38-15 win on the road.

Would Belichick stick with Zappe if Jones is ready to go against the Bears in Week 7? I’d have to think he wouldn’t, considering all that the team has put in to Jones.

But I do remember what I saw happen in 2001 so I can’t say he would FOR SURE go back to Jones as his starter because I thought he would FOR SURE go back to Bledsoe all those years ago.

There are some interesting things about Zappe that make me think he could stay the starter.

1. He threw 34 passes on Sunday, which shows the Patriots fully believe in his talents.

2. They didn’t need to take a backup QB in the fourth round of the 2022 NFL Draft but they did because Belichick saw something he liked in this kid from Western Kentucky and when Belichick likes something he really likes something.

3. Zappe hasn’t been turning the ball over a lot (he has just one INT against the Lions) and Belichick knows how much of a killer turnovers are to a team.

I totally expect Belichick will go back to Jones as his starter once he’s healthy. It’s the easy decision and nobody would bat an eye at the move. It would make all the sense in the world.

Buuuuuuuutttttttt, Belichick has never been afraid to make a decision that he thinks is best for the team and then be able to push through all the media attention a decision like that creates.

He lives for that stuff.

Either way, this will be fascinating to see how it all plays out for the Patriots, who are now 3-3 and very much in playoff contention.

Comments