Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

QUEEN VICTORIA 1872 GOTHIC Florin

I’m interested in picking up a nice 1872 gothic florin for my collection. I have seen some nice ones in fine or VF in the $100 range. Couple of questions- am I in realistic on the price and does anyone have a dealer to suggest other than eBay. Thanks to all.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Gothic Florins were spent. My experience has been they usually are either quite worn (as in G4 to VG8 by US standards) or exceptional. Patience is required to find the right coin and you might consider increasing the budget up to $200-225 to find a nice higher end circulated example.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Thanks. I picked that year due to higher mintage/lower prices, but per your suggestion I’ll up the budget and see how it works out.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this one a few years ago because I wanted to have an example of all of the Victoria portraits on coins. I think that NGC graded it MS-62.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

I think for the higher mintage years, some diligence/patience would yield a decent American-VF within that $100 limit.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tips, I’ve done some searching but it looks like it may take some time. Lots of well worn florins out there - not too many jewels