Home Q & A Forum
Options

1972D multiple errors

Good evening everyone! My coin microscope finally arrived and I’m having so much fun looking through these coins. I came across this one and it’s so strange it seems to have so much going on. Would love to get the experts opinion. Based on what I’m researching could the rims be a minor cud error? I think I’m seeing a grease error on the “in god we trust” and possibly on “Pluribus” and “Liberty”. The date looks very thick on the 7 and 2 and Lincoln’s face appearance with squiggly lines is also strange. Lastly, the memorial lines are so thick and Lincoln appears to be missing. Would love to know what I’m looking at as I’m still learning all the different terms

Thanks so much!
-Missmoneypenny

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post Mint Damage of various types.

That coin has been hit many times.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Post Mint Damage of various types.

That coin has been hit many times.

Good to know thank you!

• Options

Any good tips or advice from differentiating an error vs. damage?

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get an idea of the minting process and the coins movement first.
    cool.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

Study the minting process, study sites like doubleddie.com, variety vista, error-ref.com. Remember, looking at a coin under a microscope is going to reveal thousands of small anomalies which are perfectly normal in circulating coins. Coins are mass produced items, and each one is going to be a little different.

• Options

@lcutler these look like great resources. Thank you! Doubleddie was recently shared with me on this forum, however the other two sites look very good as well. I will study more before I post any additional pictures on the forum. :smile:

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

May I suggest you acquire some MS grade cents to use as study samples. Once you see how they leave the mint, you'll spend less time on pmd. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the bright side, nice pictures.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin has suffered post minting damage. Also, too much magnification can be a detriment. Once you go over 20-25x or so everything starts to look like an error.