Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is a million cards a month sustainable ?

now with PSA grading at a million cards a month clip , it makes me wonder if the marketplace has that much product to sustain these numbers .That seems like a lot , plus the other grading companies are increasing their numbers also. I know we all have a stack or 2 of cards we want to send in when the cost gets cheaper ( if ). That number seems crazy to me but maybe someone can quantify it for me.

Comments

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2022 4:18PM

Short-term yes, Mid-term probably, Long-term probably not.

Due to cost at least some if not many registry collectors have moved on with their lives and more Sport and NON Sport registry set breakups the past 3 months than I can ever recall. A huge swath of registry collectors who have halted submitting ain't ever coming back. Count me as one of them. I don't sell cards and no longer have any need for "validation" via the registry.

Once it hits the Long-term PSA as unit likley will be sold off. Cohen, Turner and their ilk only care about how much they squeeze out in the now, future be pop-tarted.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with 82. They’re taking the short term growth and probably know all this is unsustainable. I don’t sell either and don’t care about the registry either.

Their real option is to lower prices to entice set builders back. That’ll cut profits so let’s see if that happens…

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

PSA has built a significantly larger and infrastructure including investing large amounts of capital into two large scale facilities - including one on the east coast. I’m thinking people should consider where things were even 5 years ago versus right now. I’m not sure people have factored the incremental improvements that have taken place and considered them as a whole.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Yes. The new facility and the process improvements that were made should keep grading prices in check to allow for maximum submissions. However, long-term is the wild card. Can PSA maintain the registry? Hard to say.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

@GoDodgersFan said:
    Yes. The new facility and the process improvements that were made should keep grading prices in check to allow for maximum submissions. However, long-term is the wild card. Can PSA maintain the registry? Hard to say.

Maybe their Wild Card has already landed.....EBAY Authentication. It is basically every graded card sold on EBAY over $250 goes to PSA now. How many cards at $250 or more per month are sold on EBAY? It has got to be a ton. EBAY is probably paying PSA at the moment; but it will start to cost sellers soon. And you can bet that the price is probably going to be steep. They put the cards in these kind of cool looking frames and ship the items. What is this going to be.....like 40-$50 ??????? I'm quite worried for sellers and buyers on this whole thing. Either way it will hurt sellers profits. They should have made it optional and charge the buyer.....but we know that ship has sailed.

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@GoDodgersFan said:

Maybe their Wild Card has already landed.....EBAY Authentication. It is basically every graded card sold on EBAY over $250 goes to PSA now. How many cards at $250 or more per month are sold on EBAY? It has got to be a ton. EBAY is probably paying PSA at the moment; but it will start to cost sellers soon. And you can bet that the price is probably going to be steep. They put the cards in these kind of cool looking frames and ship the items. What is this going to be.....like 40-$50 ??????? I'm quite worried for sellers and buyers on this whole thing. Either way it will hurt sellers profits. They should have made it optional and charge the buyer.....but we know that ship has sailed.

Hopefully if Ebay does pass along the cost to buyer/sellers for that service, people will tell Ebay to get lost and they will buy/sell on other platforms

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it is sustainable. Especially with the large drops in modern base card values. That's where a lot of the volume is. Not in rare inserts.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

collect vintage.

Work hard and you will succeed!!