Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Impulse buy begets even more impulsive buy... 1911 Great Britain Specimen Set... UPDATED with TVs

Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2023 9:56AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Earlier this year I bought a 1911 Great Britain PCGS Proof 67 Half Crown and a Shilling. Both really pretty. This got me looking at some 1911 proof sets. I won this one at auction and it just showed up in the mail! It's in what I assume is the original box of issue. The obverses are toned a little too deeply, but the reverses are really colorful. The set seems totally originally to me. I wish I could safely store the coins in their case for display.

Would love some feedback or if anyone has any other 1911 Proofs, please share. I think I am going to go looking for 1902 pieces next.

PS - first time using Instragram for video. Easy to do and better to get a sense of these surfaces and color.

Hmmm.... video not working anymore?

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive and I enjoyed the use of the video.

• 87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Wow. That set is beautiful and well matched.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

wonderful set- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ClioClio Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://instagram.com/reel/CjZFSAUAhdc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I'm not actually sure how you shared the video like that but it's a lovely set! I've just a pair of 1911 Shillings. One is housed in an old NGC Fatty Holder PF64

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

OUTSTANDING set. I don't "do" sets but would make exception for that beauty. B)

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

You have good impulses. Outstanding set, Bob.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great buy

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2022 9:23PM

@Clio said:

>

I'm not actually sure how you shared the video like that but it's a lovely set! I've just a pair of 1911 Shillings. One is housed in an old NGC Fatty Holder PF64

Sometimes the link works on here but sometimes it does not.

Edit: it might be because yours is a reel.
    Edit 2: never mind (reels can work too)
    Edit 3: ok when I went to the non-reel version of yours it did post...so that actually is the issue

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set from the OP! The video helps show the beauty.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all! @Clio - great coin! The video adds a lot for that one!

My current "Box of 20"

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2022 11:41AM

Would love some feedback or if anyone has any other 1911 Proofs, please share. I think I am going to go looking for 1902 pieces next.

I bought this "short set" a few years ago. The coins and the look of the set in the original box of issue please me, but it would be a waste of money to have them certified. The 11 piece set with the 2 and 5 pound coins is quite a bit more money. There has been a dealer at the most recent Winter and Summer FUN shows who had one for sale marked $11,000.

I did finish the set eventually, but the big gold coins are certified and "out of the box."

Two Pounds

Five Pounds.

I have thought about the George V set, but the prices are really high. This 1902 set is filled with Matte Proofs, which are not very popular. There are stories circulating that the coiners didn't like the Matte Proof coins, and rubbed them on their aprons "to brighten them up." If that's true, it doesn't help with the Matte Proof grade.

The five pound piece I have is only graded Mt Proof 62 because it's a bit too bright. I've seen much worse offered for sale.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ELuisELuis Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ I have seen the 1902 specimen proof that includes 13 coins (included 4 in gold) that it is matt finish, that it is in at 9.6k

• Beautiful set! And a coronation year to boot. 1911 and 1935 (silver jubilee) are my favorite George V years.