Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anybody collect Movie Star and/or television cards?

A few years back I started appreciating the artwork on some of these cards from the 1930's. When sports cards moved out of the realm of actual collecting for me I was fortunate to really enjoy these. Cowboys and Greta Garbo are my main focus. If you collect non-sports please share some information and photos! These are new ones this month...the Garbaty Garbo (fun to say) is startlingly nice in person.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Though I don't collect that set, I do collect a lot of Non Sports.

Heres a few things I've picked up in 2021/22: Gonna be a bit Scan Heavy!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can get down on some non sport…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

One of the very first trading card sets I ever bought (as a freshman at UK) was the two ALF sets! And that was from Yahoo auctions (those were the days...)! And one of the first baseball card sets I bought was a 1993 Flair set.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

You CANNOT put up too many scans! I Love this! That Jean Harlow is STUNNING. I really like that "weight control" card. What is that?

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options

@Estil said:
    One of the very first trading card sets I ever bought (as a freshman at UK) was the two ALF sets! And that was from Yahoo auctions (those were the days...)! And one of the first baseball card sets I bought was a 1993 Flair set.

Alf! That's fantastic...pure fun!

• Options
    woodstock2woodstock2 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Nice cards! Here are a couple of my favorites.

• Options

I also like these...

• Options

Dick Van Dyke...everynight at 6pm on Channel 9 where I'm from. Seeing the images in color is cool.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 3:45AM

More Audrey Hepburn scans please. Good lord! That Dutch Gum card is a beauty. Her cards don't need to be subbed to all be 10's.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Dutch James Deans.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Appreciate everyone sharing the images of their items. Some really great stuff and am enjoying looking at them. I can add a few from my mess. Items picked up years ago when a thought would run through my pea brain that this or that would be interesting/fun to start collecting. But always something shiny would blur my thought process so onto the next thing. I guess it's cool (or not) to have a small assortment of a wide range of stuff but at least I can fully acknowledge I have issues. :D

Some cards.

This small group would be the oldest I have. Backs have some damage from being in I assume a scrapbook at some point in their history.

Handful of newer ones.

Saw this card in an SMR and liked the image. Found a listing on eBay and as the front and back image in the listing looked clean bought it. Ah, but why two? Well the stained back one was what was sent and after pointing out to the seller his image showed no such issues, he apologized and sent the other with two glue stains which again, didn't match the image in the listing but figured no point. It was cheap and still looked fine for my eyes.

This next one was in a lot of various stuff purchased off a woman that used to be on here years ago. Can't remember her name/handle but I'm sure it's in my history somewhere. This has an embossed feel where the frame is to I guess resemble a picture in a frame.

Rest are all eBay purchases. These ones are paper thin and surprisingly in decent shape. They have a gold foil process on them (doesn't show in the scan but have included pics that how it). Very beautiful looking cards.

And handful more from I think (if memory serves me) all bought from the same seller. Various partial sets and scanned a few of the more well known people.

Looking thru my eBay purchases (trying to pin a date down on the above and see I have some 1953 Bowman NBC Stars I need to figure out where I stashed those. LOL! Most of the ones above wold have been purchased in 2010.

But before I had the brilliant idea to buy those above I managed to snag a small movie magazine collection from the years 1912 to 1930's. These were a local find at a yard sale approx 30 years ago. Think they cost $5 for the stack. In lower grade for the most part but with the exception of two, they are complete. Some stunning images in these.

June 1912

November 1913

November 1916

January 1919 (This one is cut up throughout)

February 1919

February 1919

March 1919

February 1925

January 1927

September 1928

October 1930

December 1930

February 1931

April 1931

Thought this was cool. A page from the September 1933 The American Magazine (came with the above).

Article from the September 1928 Photoplay. (Right click and open image in new tab to get full size image if anyone wants to read it).

Well started typing all this about 5 hours ago and life comes first so back to this at almost 9PM. Found the 1953 Bowman NBC Stars. Another set that I thought, yeah, I could get into these and that was that. Decent condition just mostly centering issues (good thing I LOVE miscuts).

KISS - The Originals 8 track box set. Canadian version with all inserts. Unfortunately one tape is empty due to player malfunction or in other words chewed the pop tart out of it and couldn't salvage it. Purchased new in the discount bin of some store I can't remember the name of in the early 80's when I was just slightly over 13. Think I paid $1 for it and can remember an older teen was like that's cool, anymore in the bin but there was none. If there had been I probably would have bought it as I was really into KISS at that time.

Box is the cards. Fully printed on both sides. Badly centered with the perforations as you can see.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Fabulous items!!!

Thanks for sharing.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

before getting into Sports Cards heavily, the very first wax packs i ever opened were garbage pail kids in 1985.

beyond that, i have tried getting my 12 year old daughter into collecting for years with no luck. She, however, LOVES the movies so we have started picking up movie tie in sets. she loves Jurassic park and we did that one. would still like to get her the UK version. she has done Scooby Doo, and some DC comics cards.

we have been going through the star wars catalog and now she is really into it. like really. loves the Mandalorian. I would like to get her some new Wax, but boy, is it expensive. She views the cards as informational pieces, more like comic books and likes to handle them. I hesitate to spend big money on new wax as even with top loaders etc, the cards do not weather trips to middle school in back packs well...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2022 3:32PM

Gorgeous items everyone. It's fun to see all this great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Here is another one of my favorites.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

That Bardot image staring at me above is very captivating. :)

Not card related but should still fit the bill. These are all promotional items that were given to video stores back in the day.

The Freddy item was never displayed/used so all entries are intact. Slight damage but not bad for something that was meant to be used and thrown away. I don't remember what movie was being promoted for the Friday The 13th mask. It's 2 sided and designed to be hung from the ceiling.

These were supposed to be stuck to the floor and go in the direction of wherever the videos were on display.

Dragnet sticker badges and now that I dug those out I really should put them in something netter.

Got lots of video store sales sheets/booklets/posters which are interesting and an alternative from more mainstream items (I guess).