Home Sports Talk
Options

Is this Philadelphia's year?

The Eagles are the NFL's only undefeated team. The Phillies seem like a confident bunch of underdogs as the MLB playoffs are ready to start. Is this Philadelphia's year?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. The Phillies will be gone by end of weekend, and football season is only 4 games old. The Eagles look promising, but it’s a long season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see you @charliej2356

The Eagles have certainly stepped up their game this year. Their year? I don't know. They are currently in that confidence building stage. They will need that. After they face struggle and adversity throughout the season we will learn a lot more.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Philly is a dark horse and a legit conversation piece for teams that have a shot.

I like Hurts and the other pieces they have on offense, they will continue to get better

So yes

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2022 5:34PM

I can't believe the Eagles are Number 1 in the power rankings on NFL network.
    At least wait until after they play a couple of elite teams.
    They've played Washington, Jags, Giants, Vikings.

Maybe in the future they will deserve Number 1, but right now all they've played are cupcakes except for the Vikings.

• Options
    IronwillIronwill Posts: 31 ✭✭

Never know. Maybe the Phillies will pull out some of the 2008 magic.

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Since my daughter graduated from Villanova and is now a resident of PA, I've been paying more attention to the Philadelphia sports teams. I just cashed a season-long bet on the Phillies (to win more than 84.5 games) and I'm liking my bet on the Eagles to win more than 9.5 games this year (made that bet before the season started). I'm now thinking about betting a portion of my "Phillies profit" on the Phillies to beat the St. Louis Cardinals (they play a best of 3 series, with all games played in St. Louis). Playing with house money.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ironwill said:
    Never know. Maybe the Phillies will pull out some of the 2008 magic.

JoeStalin?

• Options

It showed in today's game: "The Phillies seem like a confident bunch of underdogs" -- they believe they can win and move on.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

And for the NBA, well they got the curse of Harden now..............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

QB's running in the open field, got to be careful. Once they leave the pocket are vulnerable for those hard hits.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Nobody wants to play the Phillies right now. Although they're not a fundamentally-sound team, they're loose and confident -- dangerous! Just like me, the Phillies are playing with "house money".

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    It showed in today's game: "The Phillies seem like a confident bunch of underdogs" -- they believe they can win and move on.

I’ll eat crow. The Phillies were a pleasant surprise.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

SPORTS 5.0
    One bird in the band...
    is better than 2 in a bush ?
    Silly !

• Options

Crow is tasting mighty good these days. The Phillies beat Atlanta. Now it on to the best team money can buy, the Hollywood Dodgers.

• Options

All four teams play on Broad Street. (FYI)
    EAGLES - 5-0
    FLYERS - 2-0
    Phillies - 2-0 (playoff rounds)
    SIXERS - ?
    The Broad Street Bullies are back, and in full force .

• Options

Although I'm getting too old to attend a Broad Street Bullies game, I'm enjoying the success of the Phillies and Eagles. As I've previously noted, nobody wants to play the Phillies right now -- when you're hot, you're hot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LE2xXQwbWQ

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2022 5:44AM

The Eagles look very good so far. Tonight’s game will be a semi test against Dallas. Dallas is playing well under Cooper Rush.
    I like the Eagles to win but Dallas to cover the 5 points

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

"I like the Eagles to win but Dallas to cover the 5 points" -- I hope you're right 2dueces. I made a season-long bet that the Eagles will win at least 10 regular-season games.

• Options

Darn! The Dodgers lost to the Padres. I have to say I enjoyed hearing that.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I can't believe the Eagles are Number 1 in the power rankings on NFL network.
    At least wait until after they play a couple of elite teams.
    They've played Washington, Jags, Giants, Vikings.

Maybe in the future they will deserve Number 1, but right now all they've played are cupcakes except for the Vikings.

I agree with you 100 percent although the nfc East all 4 teams have a super cupcake schedule this year

And for baseball no doubt Houston is #1 by far but Phillies are looking fantastic

• Options

How 'bout those Phillies! Not much "talk" here given that we're in the "Final Four" ...

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    "I like the Eagles to win but Dallas to cover the 5 points" -- I hope you're right 2dueces. I made a season-long bet that the Eagles will win at least 10 regular-season games.

If you look at my Swami futures you’ll see I also wagered for the eagles over 8 wins.
    I don’t think 10 is a stretch at this point. I’d put the odds at 80%

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Wow, you girls are really blowin' me away with all your comments about the success of the Phillies. You're a strange bunch.

• Options

When it comes eating crow, I’ve so much of it that I’m spitting black feathers with respect to the Phillies. Go Phillies! It’s been a great and wild ride no matter where it ends. They are way ahead of expectations.

• Options

BillJones: I do not include you in my reference to "a strange bunch". I seem to recall that many in this forum don't care about sports unless played in the New England/Boston area -- and there's currently not much news in that area.

• Options

It appears the Phillies have some of that 2008 magic in them.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

what an amazing run thus far. They refuse to die! Looked like they were going back to San Diego until Harper decided to take matters into his own hands. GO PHILS!!!!

• Options

So.......It was beautiful day in mudville yesterday.
    Bryce Harper showing what the word PROFESSIONAL is all about.
    Thank You MLB.

• Options

Phillies down 5-0 to Verlander, come back and take Game 1 in 10 innings. Verlander's stats when pitching with 5 runs of support are amazing, but not yesterday. Reminds me of the 1980 championship series when the Phils trailed Nolan Ryan late in the game. Again a crazy stat with him pitching with a 2 run lead late in the game, but the Phils dug their way out from under.

• Options

JRR300: Yep, that was quite an amazing and entertaining game last night. But don't expect many/any members of this forum to chat about it [the Phillies are NOT from Boston/New England].

• Options

Getting back on topic looking at Phillys schedule it does seem to be set up for a 14-15 win season.
    But we’ve seen this East schedules be detrimental to playoff success with the failure of the Cowboys over the years
    Steelers
    Texans
    Commodes
    Colts
    Packers
    Titans
    Giants
    Bears
    Cowboys
    Saints
    Giants

I see a few games that could end their win streak. If the Giants continue to play well. If the Packers turn it around. Colts, Titans?
    Of course Cowboys with a healthy roster.
    Still 14 wins is not out of the question

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Maybe it is time to talk about the Eagles. Lol. The eagles aren’t just winning, they are destroying the competition. Eeking out wins is one thing, double digit wins are different. The NFC may just go through Philadelphia this year as my above post finding a loss is tough.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@charliej2356 said:
    JRR300: Yep, that was quite an amazing and entertaining game last night. But don't expect many/any members of this forum to chat about it [the Phillies are NOT from Boston/New England].

You don't need to start that again. We all had enough fun discussing this in the NBA playoffs thread, remember?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

rabble-rouser charlie j in the house lol

• Options

Happy to entertain you guys! I can also juggle -- and ride a unicycle too.

Hoping for a Phillies victory tonight -- I think the crowd will help them -- we'll soon see.

• Options

Game 3 in the books; an impressive offensive barrage while the pitchers shutout the Stros. Hope we'll see more of the same tonight!!!!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd no-hitter in WS history. It is cheapened, at least to me, because it took 4 pitchers to get there.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will Verlander knock the monkey off his back and pitch well in a WS game tonight?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    2nd no-hitter in WS history. It is cheapened, at least to me, because it took 4 pitchers to get there.

Of course. I agree

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love you guys, but i disagree. i actually like it more due to the increased camaraderie. it's something these four pitchers (and the catcher) will be able to cherish together until they move on to greener pastures. nothing but smiles in this awesome picture.

• Options

Phildelphia's still perfect within the number SEVEN.
    OOh !
    Two, FOUR, Six, ....Eight... (eight / oh)
    Who do we appreciate.. .....?
    THE FANS !

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i love you guys, but i disagree. i actually like it more due to the increased camaraderie. it's something these four pitchers (and the catcher) will be able to cherish together until they move on to greener pastures. nothing but smiles in this awesome picture.

Theo my friend, let me flesh this out a little for you. Please digest my words and get back to me.

mutually exclusive ...throwing no hitters and using more than one pitcher

I like your approach. Camaraderie, monumental event. This is where words matter. This is why giving things a name, while sometimes doing a disservice, can be crucial to encapsulating what actually happened. We need to call this something else, like a MPNH (multi-pitcher no hitter). If that was already a thing, these guys could be celebrating extra-hard as the first guys to multi-pitch no hit a team in the WS.

• Options

Happy to see that the Eagles survived a "trap game" on Thursday Night Football. I know it was only the Houston Texans -- but a win is a win, especially on the road.

• Options

@charliej2356 said:
    Happy to see that the Eagles survived a "trap game" on Thursday Night Football. I know it was only the Houston Texans -- but a win is a win, especially on the road.

If I was an Eagles fan, I'd be starting to think about them needing to face some adversity and a loss or two pretty soon in order to better prepare them.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2022 7:15AM

@thisistheshow said:
    If I was an Eagles fan, I'd be starting to think about them needing to face some adversity and a loss or two pretty soon in order to better prepare them.

Did you play for the '72 Dolphins?

• Options

• Options

Philadelphia is definitely the best team in the league this year beating sub 500 teams. Detroit, Houston, Jacksonville, Washington, Steelers and 2nd string QB’s, Dallas. They did beat Minnesota but who has Minnesota beat and are the next best sub 500 beater?
    The cream puff schedule the East plays every year does them no favors in January as Dallas has gone one and done repeatedly.
    Philly may not lose but without playing competitive competition week in and week out who are they really?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

2dueces wrote: "Philly may not lose but without playing competitive competition week in and week out who are they really?"

Easy Answer: Philly is the team that, in August, was predicted to win about 9 or 10 games this year. So, I bet "the over 9.5 wins" -- and I'm gonna get back $900 for my $500 bet. I'd say that "the experts" screwed-up on that projection.