Home Metal Detecting

HELP!! Looking to expand into the Hobby :)

Hi all!

I am looking to expand into detecting and wondering if these are good detectors to start?

Whites IDX Pro & a Bounty Hunter pioneer 101 metal detectors, along with two pin pointers, a root slayer shovel, and digger , head phones , scoop, and a multi pocket waist pouch.

Thank you for all the help!!! This Forum is hands down the best!!

Comments

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like a good package to get into a great hobby. Best of luck and I look forward to your treasure finds... and pull tabs. :D;) Cheers, RickO

  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I hope you can put fresh batteries in both detectors and do a test garden to make sure they work. Discrimination and detection depth are what you've paying for. On a lighter note, pinpointers are great to probe with and that rootslayer shovel is excellent. Good luck. Peace Roy

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭✭

    The shovel is probably the best thing there. The detectors are obsolete and the pinpointers are low quality. Sorry for the bad news.

    If you are interested in finding old coins, I recommend buying a Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540. I also advise getting a Garrett pinpointer and a Lesche hand digger. If you have a little more money to spend, get a Minelab Equinox instead of a Vanquish.

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That looks like a decent setup at a decent price, jmo. If you do happy hunting

  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2022 8:39PM

    What are you looking to hunt?
    Coin shooting the whites will do.
    Whites is no longer in business

    Bounty Hunter pioneer for
    Gold nuggets
    Good entry point if the price is right and you can test drive them on what you want to hunt.

  • justindanjustindan Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

    As others have said be sure to test them out.
    They are on the lower end of the spectrum. If you seriously get into the hobby you'll be upgrading the detectors soon.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, as you progress in the hobby, you will upgrade. However, the items will also sell to others just entering the hobby. Cheers, RickO

  • nk1nknk1nk Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

    @Bayard1908 said:
    The shovel is probably the best thing there. The detectors are obsolete and the pinpointers are low quality. Sorry for the bad news.

    If you are interested in finding old coins, I recommend buying a Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540. I also advise getting a Garrett pinpointer and a Lesche hand digger. If you have a little more money to spend, get a Minelab Equinox instead of a Vanquish.

    I’m also looking to start metal detecting. Price isn’t an issue. I plan on this being a long term hobby and don’t mind having to upgrade down the road but would honestly prefer to buy something that will be adequate for a long time now. I’m thinking of getting the equinox 800, how’s the learning curve on these, I’ve read they aren’t really for a beginners. Main objective is coins but also have some places in mind for possible gold. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭✭

    @nk1nk said:>
    I’m also looking to start metal detecting. Price isn’t an issue. I plan on this being a long term hobby and don’t mind having to upgrade down the road but would honestly prefer to buy something that will be adequate for a long time now. I’m thinking of getting the equinox 800, how’s the learning curve on these, I’ve read they aren’t really for a beginners. Main objective is coins but also have some places in mind for possible gold. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

    If I were advising someone on buying a new Equinox, I would say buy a 700 or a 900. A 600 or 800 would be a no go, unless it was a great deal on a used machine. I suspect that the 600 and 800 will be discontinued in the not too distant future.

    If you are talking about gold nuggets, the 800 has a prospecting mode, don't know if the 900 has this but would be surprised if it doesn't.

    Honestly, I still think a Vanquish 440 or 540 is the perfect coin machine for a beginner. It gives Equinox level performance in mild soil without all the menus and complications of setting up an Equinox. I found the Equinox to be unusable until I customized the tone break, something that I doubt a beginner would contemplate or attempt.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If possible, join a MD club in your area... Ask at a shop that sells them if there are any clubs. Lots of help at clubs, and good shops as well. Keep us posted... Cheers, RickO

  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    If possible, join a MD club in your area... Ask at a shop that sells them if there are any clubs. Lots of help at clubs, and good shops as well. Keep us posted... Cheers, RickO

    I think Youtube videos have largely made the informational value of clubs obsolete. Even with Youtube, some people may still appreciate the social value of a detecting club, although I personally prefer solitude.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bayard1908.... Many YouTube videos are really helpful, but the personal interface with immediate feedback is -IMO- more effective. JMO Cheers, RickO

Sign In or Register to comment.