Home Precious Metals
Options

Does anybody here buy 1 Gram Gold Bars?

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know these are way over priced, but from time to time, I pickup a 1 Gram Sunshine Gold Bar. As far as these 1 gram gold bars go, Sunshine is my favorite.

Does anybody here ever buy 1 gram gold bars?

And if so, do you prefer a certain brand of 1 gram gold bar?

My favorite brand:

Comments

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure,
    I like the Engelhard close to spot.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 25 packs. Something fun about seeing a bunch of little bars or coins in a three inch square

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. The premium is far too high.

thefinn
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2022 7:09PM

As a novelty only. Mexican 2 pesos make more sense to me. We've discussed the danger of blister packs on several occasions. There's also the oversized premiums and the amount of space the packaging takes up all make them less than ideal to me. I've got a few, but just for conversation pieces at this point.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently purchased an encapsulated Geiger bar as part of a 50th wedding anniversary gift (i.e., the "golden" anniversary).

Image Source: https://www.geiger-edelmetalle.de/en/gold-bar-geiger-original-1-g-.9999-square-within-capsule-1223649.html

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Like others have said, the problem with 1 gram bars is that the premium is very high and the packaging takes up a lot of space. I did buy a few 1 gram Maple Leaf coins. The packaging is quite small and it's a high quality mintage. I think they make great gifts overall and its nice to have a few as conversation pieces.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not buy the small gold bars. I do have some small Mexican gold coins. I stick with the monetary type gold, mainly AGE's... Some Saints. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased a few in the past. I'd buy more if the premiums weren't absurd.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a couple Perth bars a few months back because I was able to get them for pretty much spot. But I wouldn't touch them with the high premiums associated with them.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

I love them because the resale is so kick ass; and most people can afford them

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never bought one. I was interested in those Valcambi CombiBars a few years back but couldn't stomach the premiums. 1/10 AGEs are about as small as I go for the personal stack. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2022 11:17AM

When I first delved into gold bullion, I grabbed a bunch of the 1g fractionals - Engelhard , Johnson Matthey, sunshine, and others, but decided they were not for me and sent them all to a guy on Bullion stacker website. It was my first transaction over there and the guy had community rep so I sent them first and he gave me awesome feedback (and monies) when he got them.

Today Engelhard 1g bars are going for $150 regularly on Ebay, so if you can find them at spot anywhere buy them immediately.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

Nope, premium to high! Long time ago I bought fractionals 1 /10 but paid 2 over spot! I buy 1 oz. Kangaroos now or any gold people will sell at $20 or less premium. I can buy Kangaroos at 50 all day long and I'll probably buy 10 or 20 shortly!

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect them, but I go a great deal here on the BST forum a while back:

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarke442 said:

What power did you have your microscope set at?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:

Yup. Got those for 30-40 dollars each back in the days just to host a gold bar giveaway on this board. lol

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@USMC_6115 said:

Yup. Got those for 30-40 dollars each back in the days just to host a gold bar giveaway on this board. lol

Yep, can't get them for that anymore... Ha, I just checked Ebay for kicks and can't find any of these ones for sale..

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I've bought them for my kids' "golden birthday".

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased some 1 gram gold in the red and blue Engelhard assay cards as part of my Engelhard items collection. Otherwise I don't bother with them.

• Options
    JDsCoinsJDsCoins Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I love the MapleGrams if I can get them for a reasonable price

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the right price, so no.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this one up at my LCS last February for $75.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 12:59PM

I saw this and thought 1/10 GRAM.
    Would be good as a test piece to see how long it would stay in a gold pan processing paydirt.
    Priced way out of sight (talk about premium's) then someone went ahead and bit the carrot...it pays to advertise.

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Mostly for gifts. Of the gram bars I've bought I like the holographic Argor-Heraueus Kinebar.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 12:49AM

I could never stomach the premiums on 1 gram bars and never got a chance to buy them near spot. I only bite on these smaller bars like the 5s or 10s when I can get them cheaply. Got a 10 gram bar at spot this black friday. Maybe one day.