Home Sports Talk
Options

Best outfield trio the past 50 years.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2022 12:28PM in Sports Talk

Minimum 5 full seasons playing together.

Who are the top three and who is #1 ?

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best I've come up with is Ruth/Combs/Meusel:

• Options

@Tabe said:

Last 50 years includes players from 1972-2022.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

You didn't expect people to follow that simple request did you?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

I have no idea how I missed that. Allow me to hang my head in shame.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

You say simple. I say clearly impossible.

:)

Ugh.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

The five full seasons requirement eliminates practically every outfield. Of the very few that come to mind, the OP is the winner and Foster-Geronimo-Griffey is #2. I can't think of a third.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:
    The five full seasons requirement eliminates practically every outfield. Of the very few that come to mind, the OP is the winner and Foster-Geronimo-Griffey is #2. I can't think of a third.

I can't either. Free agency decimates guys staying together.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2022 4:59AM

This is how we ordered tickets when the Sox trio began their reign.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

What rules? Maris, Mantle, Barra in 1961.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

While not good enough to supplant the Boston outfield, Bell-Moseby-Barfield have to be one of the best simply because they meet the five year requirement...and were pretty good too.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manny, > @Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

You say simple. I say clearly impossible.

:)

Ugh.

I do the same thing so I'm not throwing stones lol

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    While not good enough to supplant the Boston outfield, Bell-Moseby-Barfield have to be one of the best simply because they meet the five year requirement...and were pretty good too.

Just to drive home how rare it has been, since 1972 anyway, for an outfield to meet these requirements I'll point out that Dave Collins was the regular LF in 1984, and Barfield only played a little more than half the season in RF, and only 20 games in 1989. So, do Bell, Moseby, and Barfield meet the requirement of playing five FULL seasons together? I don't think so.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

Just to drive home how rare it has been, since 1972 anyway, for an outfield to meet these requirements I'll point out that Dave Collins was the regular LF in 1984, and Barfield only played a little more than half the season in RF, and only 20 games in 1989. So, do Bell, Moseby, and Barfield meet the requirement of playing five FULL seasons together? I don't think so.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Thank you @goldenage for all of the hard work it must have been to create a question such as this forcing @dallasactuary to have to give Rice this dubious honor.

• Options

Depending how you count "full", Larry Herndon, Chet Lemon & Kirk Gibson might qualify.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Depending how you count "full", Larry Herndon, Chet Lemon & Kirk Gibson might qualify.

If you define "full" as "half or more", you can get to three. To get to five you have to define "full" as "one third or more". I don't think that's what "full" means.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Tabe said:

If you define "full" as "half or more", you can get to three. To get to five you have to define "full" as "one third or more". I don't think that's what "full" means.

Ah, yes. Gibby played more DH in 83 than I realized.