Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Courses and Summer Seminar questions

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to take two weeks and go to the ANA summer seminar.
Sort of a Numismatic bucket list item for me.

Was also considering a better use of resources would be to travel to regional shows.

Do they consistently offer courses January Fun Show, Dalton, and Baltimore shows?

I took the Part1 grading class a few years ago in Dalton and really enjoyed the class.

It seems once you learn the see the break in the luster, you kinda got a handle on the basics.

Was thinking I would be better off pursuing the counterfeit classes then circling back around to the other grading courses.

With my interests limited to Lincolns, Morgan/Peace Dollars, and Buffs... was wondering how advanced the other classes were and series covered.

If I recall correctly, I am missing only the Morgan Dollars from Part 1, though I could use a refresher.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I've only been to summer seminar once (this past summer) and took two courses (one of which was grading 1). My understanding is that grading 2 goes into more detail and you start to get into the problem coin arena so your skills to determine those are refined. They say grading 2 is a pre-requisite to the counterfeit class at seminar (or instructor approval) but I don't believe they had that pre-req on the counterfeit class that was at the ANA convention in Chicago.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least for the last couple of years the 2 day intermediate grading course at winter FUN has been cancelled. Hopefully this year goes. The ANA has some rather nice videos in youtube.

• Options

I took the ANA course at Summer Seminar. If you are a new collector you shoud go. I'm going to try to go back every summer. IMO, and talking to others, the grading sessions are the most important - all of them when you are ready to advance. The grading services take care of the counterfeit problems. Join a coin club to.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen consistently excellent reports about the ANA seminar and other courses. Well worth attending. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file