Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

“Possible” Scam Alert Originating from Wanted posts on our BS&T

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2022 4:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’m using the word “Possible” to hope that this post does not get closed down, as it’s important that many forum readers be aware of this. The following EXACT method of scam has been reported here several months ago, but since this attempt was just messaged to me an hour ago, it’s important this warning be shown again to as many viewers as possible.

I created a post on the BS&T several months ago looking to buy a specific coin. A person then creates a brand new account on the forum, and then messages me that a friend of his (probably him, not a friend) has exactly what I need, and provides me the “friends” email address. The way it was reported here many months ago, when the “friend” is contacted via email, he has the victim send money to an email address via PayPal Friends & Family. By using F&F, that provides no PayPal protection for the victim. I’m going to message the well respected victim who posted this scam warning us several months ago asking for permission to show his forum name here to provide credibility to this post.

The message I just received was from davebe. When I clicked on his name I see his account was set up just yesterday, with no activity. His message reads “korder has xxxxxxxxx (the specific item I posted I’m looking to buy) for sale in good condition. Here’s his email korderfreeman@gmail.com”.

To try to keep this post from getting closed I’ll say “Maybe it’s a legitimate offer from a brand new member”, but since this is the EXACT method previously reported, I’ll also say “Watch Out”!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copied and posted on the BST forum, too - thanks.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    Copied and posted on the BST forum, too - thanks.

Thanks. I was debating whether to do that or not, knowing that davebe would see that, but I agree that’s good too. Thanks.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 4:57AM

Require that a new member send the coin before payment is made if he is selling or require him to send payment first before shipping if he's buying. Be safe out there.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s stop mincing words - he sent that exact same PM to every BST buyer he could dig up. He has claimed to have everything from R8 classic coins to the latest moderns sealed in boxes. It’s a scam - no doubt about it. Let’s call a spade a spade.

• Options

@J2035 said:
    Let’s stop mincing words - he sent that exact same PM to every BST buyer he could dig up. He has claimed to have everything from R8 classic coins to the latest moderns sealed in boxes. It’s a scam - no doubt about it. Let’s call a spade a spade.

I minced words to try to avoid this post from getting closed. When this scam was reported to the moderators many months ago, my understanding is that they would not ban that person who was sending the messages to members who posted Wanted to Buy items on the BS&T.

Steve

• Options

Glad I saw this, I got a message from him this morning, in those exact words. Undoubtedly a scam.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 5:56AM

@J2035 said:

The post by @winesteven got the point across quite clearly and as he noted, in a fashion that will hopefully avoid getting the post deleted.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scammers aren't even in the U.S. most likely. I did a Google search for the first name "Korder" and there are no known examples of that as a first name.

It's an easy scam to run, and a few people have fallen for it. :/

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

a scam is just that a scam call it what it is , these people are better at this then we think, millions are stolen each day by these people, one has to be careful with who they deal with and always follow your instincts if the deal sounds too good walk away, let others know of the issue

scammers have people working for them in all parts of the world the more working for them the more likely the scam will net some fish

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

I also got a similar message--almost definitely a scam

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the same message.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, also, received a message from this forum "member", just joined yesterday regarding a grading guide for early cents, which luckily I had already received from RichieURich. This should be heeded by all members.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven

Thank you for informing the members!

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send money using a payment system that offers no protection for the sender to the friend of a stranger?

Sounds legit.

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Scam. He hit me up a few months ago but could not show an image of coin his friend supposedly had because "it was at home" - for a few weeks

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @winesteven ! Hopefully, this won't get taken down... apparently this person has everything from R8 rarities, to contemporary pieces, to even the copy stand I was looking for... what a guy! :neutral:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

I got a message too!

As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options

The name KORDER screams like something from the Linux KDE development suite. I didn’t find that package, but it’s entirely possible to script both a username scraping tool that parses and fills the corresponding message to members here.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven.... Thank you for the alert. And from all the follow up messages from members, it further confirms the scam. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I missed out on the rich booty this scam fisher was offering.

One thing I learned years ago, be extra careful if you post a "wanted" for something online. I had a damaged transmission in a truck, a guy offered to fix it and reinstall it, he took it out never to be seen from again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file