Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is a penny saved a penny earned still true today?

AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2022 11:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

With inflation its hard to save a penny

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof...

Off topic.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a penny is still a penny.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

A penny saved is the beginning of a hoard. Be careful. i think it’s a medical condition brought on by Franklin and exacerbated by Roosevelt.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cent earned but a melt value over 2c is free protection from inflation in the future. Save all the real copper. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@privatecoin said:
    A cent earned but a melt value over 2c is free protection from inflation in the future. Save all the real copper. :D

True,some 82 and older,what's 83 and newer worth come to think of it?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Poof...

Off topic.

How's that off? My discussion!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2022 7:03AM

Yes , sort of
    A penny saved is a penny saved. Now where the penny came from is a different story.
    A parking lot penny is a find. One received from a friend is a gift . One received from work is the “ penny earned. “😁
    Let the disagreements begin 🙃

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently my man Ben Franklin did not actually COIN this expression, though it is commonly attributed to him.
    He did however write "A penny saved is two pence clear” in the 1737 Poor Richards Almanack.

Like many of these older sayings, their meaning can be misinterpreted. I don't believe this saying means "Save a penny, and you'll make another penny".

Rather, I think it means "when you pay less for something, it's like earning the money you saved".

For example: If you need to buy a tank of gas at $4 a gallon, and you find a gas station where gas is $3.50, saving that $.50 per gallon on 20 gallons is like getting paid $10. A penny saved is a penny earned.
    Some think it's even better, since there are no taxes or other costs associated with that savings.

And this thread is now a Franklin Half Dollar thread!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

hopefully it will be copper or a wheat back :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of large containers (glass jars) of cents... One is all wheaties. And I saved them from my earnings - lending credence to the old line. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

This discussion has been closed.