Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Russell Wilson washed up?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Broncos fans are starting to boo, I'm scared to pick the Broncos anymore, what the heck is going on in Denver?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the consensus in Seattle is he is washed up, he spends a million dollars a year on fitness apparently but it hasn't really done much for him

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

34 is an awfully young age to be washed. maybe just a down start to the new season with a new team?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

He's getting roasted by the NFL universe.

• Options

I had high hopes for the Broncos this season, let Russ cook!

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

What happened was the 2nd half of the 2020 season. After like game 7 he was never the same. It's like he aged 5 years over 1 weekend. He used to be fast and elusive too. Now he can't outrun Fridge Perry. Denver should be worried....very worried. Plus Denver is not good regardless of Wilson.

• Options

Let Russ cook!

• Options

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2022 1:24PM

I watched part of the second half of the SF Denver game.

The offenses of both teams stunk and were horrible. Of course the lousy offensive performance of both teams was due in part to the fact that the defensive units of both teams are really, really good.

Denver has a new coach who has not shown he can run an offense.

The only thing that was redeeming for Denver last night was that towards the end of the game Wilson chose to freelance and create by running out of the pocket. Doing so allowed him to run and pick up some needed yardage; and to actually find open receivers and pass the ball to them. As a result of Wilson freelancing Denver's offense was finally able to go on a sustained drive and score a touchdown to take the lead.

If Wilson can continue to freelance without injury that may just open up things for the Denver offense to finally get going (Denver should have won game 1 against Seattle but flamed out with two goal line fumbles and a missed field goal as time ran out).

Next week Denver goes to Vegas to play the 0-3 Raiders. A Denver win in Vegas would be great as they would go to 3-1 and the Raiders would fall to 0-4. :)

On the SF side of the ball, Jimmy G had a tough night, as did the rest of the 49rs offense. The offensive line of SF is a major weakness. Today on local sports talk radio the talking heads (three of them) were screaming at each other and at the public that the 49rs are falling apart, the Jimmy G is horrible, that Kyle Shanahan needs to be fired. They sky is falling in 49rs land, (until next week when one win will make things all better).

If the 49rs continue to lose games, I can see the local sports media shifting from football (football became the #1 topic in late July since the SF Giants have had a terrible season this year) in the next three weeks to the GS Warriors as the NBA Season opens on 10-18-2022 and that team will look to repeat in 2022-2023 (which would give the residents of the SF Bay Area something pro sports related that they can crow about).

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve watched him closely for 10 years. Clearly not the player he once was. He can’t extend plays with his legs anymore, at least like he used to. He’s dropped out of the elite category for me. Washed up? No way.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

, he spends a million dollars a year on fitness apparently but it hasn't really done much for him

same thing with Deshaun Watson :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Wilson just doesn't seem to have the fire anymore to play in the NFL. He looks so laid back recently.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wilson has always been overrated to me anyway. I've long felt the way to beat Seattle was to make Russell pass. He's also shown a tendency the last several years to fall apart halfway through the year. Remember a couple years ago when he was an early MVP frontrunner? Yeah - no MVP votes at all.

He holds the ball way too long and takes unnecessary sacks. His accuracy has disappeared, too.

He isn't washed up but he's sure not the $300m QB Denver seemed to think.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2022 7:00PM

"Is Russell Wilson washed up?"

Yes. Why do you think Seattle said - 'don't let the door smack you in the --- on the way out'. Denver now is into the 2nd decade of qb failures. Since Manning and the SB win, they seem to think they can bring in qb's that succeeded in the past after their peak and somehow be good and at the same level. They can't seem to look and judge the real situation. The Manning win was mostly the rest of the team not him. Pretty bad management IMO...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

What do you say about last night's game, losing to the Colts at home, Broncos fans are livid this morning, livid!

• Options
    edited October 7, 2022 1:35AM

Look at this, Russell Wilson missed the wide open receiver KJ Hamler, this would have been the game winning touchdown. KJ Hamler slammed his helmet down in frustration and told reporters after the game, "I could have walked in."

• Options

I've had it with Russell Wilson, he cost me the game last night, I had a chance to move up in the standings. Let Russ cook, yeah, yeah, this is the dish he served us last night!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

QBs decide before the snap who they will be throwing the ball too. They always have a primary read based on either the play call and/or the defensive alignment.

Wilson has been awful this year but I think it is mostly due to moving to a new offense. Failing to identify that Hamler would be uncovered is a function of not being familiar with the offense, IMO.

Robb

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I think that was the worse football game from two teams ever. Ryan’s feet never are still in the pocket even if he has protection. He reminds me of Jim Everett with his happy feet. The falling backwards throw away early was probably the worse play I’ve ever seen from a quarterback. I didn’t buy the Wilson hype preseason and it’s justified 5 games in. 2 #1’s and 2 #2’s and Fant for this display of ineptitude is down right embarrassing. How many times can you use “ receivers not on the same page” excuse for a piss poor QB?
    In a league now geared for offense this game was an embarrassment and not checking but the Broncos are on prime time 3 more times?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

The Colts had 18 drives. 18! 😂 the two teams combined for 12 punts, 4 interceptions and 7 field goals.
    In 4 games the Bills have punted 7 times.
    Amazon and the Broncos are checking with their lawyers to find loop holes in their respective contracts

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Honestly I think that was the worse football game from two teams ever.

For you to say that holds a lot of weight. Yes, this is the consensus I'm reading this morning. It would have been a bad matchup on a Sunday, but factor in the short week and it was a recipe for infamy.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 6:55AM

Not to make this a Brady Patriots thread, but is it a coincidence that both of these QBs were on the wrong end of an infamous SB bad ending courtesy of New England?

Edited to add: it has long been rumoured that Brady somehow magically takes some of the "football soul" and energy from other QBs while defeating them, thus allowing him to proliferate his intangibles and succeed unnaturally. @galaxy27 @craig44 what say you? 🤣

• Options

Fear not Thursday night fans. Another juggernaut of game is scheduled for next week. Don’t make any plans.
    Quarterback stats
    34-67 50% 471 2 TD 4 INT
    Chicago vs Washington

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

looks like the Seahawks came away with a steal of a deal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both QB's need to retire> @paulb71 said:

It's hilarious that Geno Smith is vastly superior to Wilson now

• Options

At this point, I think Russell Wilson is trying to give Baker Mayfield a run for his money. Did you know, I heard that Russell Wilson said "Broncos country let's ride" after the press conference last night. How dare he say that.

• Options

At least one good thing came from last night's game, we got this photo of Melvin Gordon giving Russell Wilson a nasty look to caption.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

couldn't wait to see Wilson's QBR today. he had about 10-15 opportunities throughout that game to make a one throw that would propel his team to victory, and he couldn't do it. but even worse, the football Gods then granted him an opportunity to still win just so long as he didn't do something completely stupid, and he still couldn't help himself toward the end of regulation.

Broncos were up 3 with a little over 2 minutes left in the game and in virtually guaranteed FG range. if they go up 6 the game is all but over, because the Colts had shown zero signs of being able to even sniff the house all night long. so what did Wilson do on 3rd down? he made the brilliant decision to uncork one into a tight window and got picked. taking the snap and taking a bite out of the football would have been a more judicious decision.

and the 274 is very misleading. Melvin Gordon broke off 2-3 long gainers on screen passes, and one long completion for 50 yards only happened because a ref took out a Colts d-back. Wilson made very few actual plays via solid throws on his own. having slept on what i saw last night, i can safely say today that it was one of the worst exhibitions of quarterbacking i've seen in quite sometime.

and that's how you end up in Baker Mayfield country @ 15.9

• Options

He was just trying to get his "Goose" on like Maurice Clarett used to do............ B)

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image from the longest yard when the players realize that Burt Reynolds is throwing the game.

@doubledragon said:
    At least one good thing came from last night's game, we got this photo of Melvin Gordon giving Russell Wilson a nasty look to caption.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was terrible last year.....a shadow of his former self.....Nothing new here.......He doesn't have the moves anymore....... Everyone knew it last season but didn't say anything because.... he's Russell Wilson!!!!!......For many years he was, IMO, the most exciting player in the league to watch......My favorite..... Whatever.....

• Options

And how much are the Broncos paying him, over $240 million? Just look at him with that smug expression on his face, he doesn't care.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paulb71 said:

Which should break them about even after the Jamal Adams trade didn't really pan out as hoped. B)

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    He was terrible last year.....a shadow of his former self.....Nothing new here.......He doesn't have the moves anymore....... Everyone knew it last season but didn't say anything because.... he's Russell Wilson!!!!!......For many years he was, IMO, the most exciting player in the league to watch......My favorite..... Whatever.....

They blamed it on his finger injury but Seattle knew better. Lockett and Metcalf made him look fantastic in 2020 but they were getting 5 yards of separation. DD could look good with that.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 2:08PM

@2dueces said:

They blamed it on his finger injury but Seattle knew better. Lockett and Metcalf made him look fantastic in 2020 but they were getting 5 yards of separation.....

YES, YES, and YES!!!....The downward spiral started in the 2020 season. He wasn't the same. But, they did win the division that year despite his performance fall off.... Like you said, "Seattle knew it..."... You nailed it.....

P.S......The QB with the REAL finger injury in 2020 was Jared Goff.....who cares?....The Rams won a SB by trading him off as damaged goods......But only to bury him with the forever hapless Lions. .Maybe a good decision..... Time will tell....I have my doubts....

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's time for Russell Wilson to come to the Panthers. They are always looking for quarterbacks. >:)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Maybe it's time for Russell Wilson to come to the Panthers. They are always looking for quarterbacks. >:)

You mean exchanging Booger Mayfield for Russell Wilson. 🤔

• Options

In case you're wondering about my avatar, I have temporarily changed it, I will not let up on Russell Wilson until he plays to his capabilities!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    P.S......The QB with the REAL finger injury in 2020 was Jared Goff.....who cares?....The Rams won a SB by trading him off as damaged goods......But only to bury him with the forever hapless Lions. .Maybe a good decision..... Time will tell....I have my doubts....

Well, Detroit is #1 in offense through 4, alot of that is Goff, Rams are 28th. It might be that Goff could have won an SB with Rams last year as well, and he is certainly outperforming Stafford this year. Hmm.........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

I don't blame Wilson for not seeing Hamler on the one pass. His primary look is the other side so, yeah, he's not going to see Hamler immediately.

I've enjoyed watching Wilson struggle. He whined and complained his way out of Seattle, blaming the offensive line for his sacks when the reality was he held the ball too long. And then saying he's happy to not have to be the whole team? Terribly insulting to his former teammates.

And Richard Sherman was not having it last night:

https://youtu.be/macNTjqOqto

• Options

I was thrilled for Matt Stafford to win a Super Bowl last year. I hope he does it again this year.

But...

Jared Goff is the one leading the NFL in touchdown passes.

• Options
    edited October 9, 2022 2:45AM

Ok, I'm going to cut Russell Wilson some slack since he has a partially torn lat in his shoulder, I'm changing my avatar back to Mustache Jones, for now. But Jones will be debuting a new mustache style, it's time for a change, for now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34755364/sources-broncos-qb-russell-wilson-partially-torn-lat?platform=amp

• Options

Nah, you know what, to heck with that. It's time to debut my new "Toupee Terry Bradshaw" avatar!

• Options

Is Russell Wilson washed up?"

Just Wilson trying to prolong his career ..............Not gonna be washed up just yet - :D