Home U.S. Coin Forum

Crossover from NGC to PCGS

Just an observation, PCGS has been crossing over a high percentage of NGC coins (almost 80%). This is a much much higher percentage than 10-15 years ago. Any different experience ? Comments ?

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1 said:
    Just an observation, PCGS has been crossing over a high percentage of NGC coins (almost 80%). This is a much much higher percentage than 10-15 years ago. Any different experience ? Comments ?

I’m confident that the figures you reported aren’t indicative of the overall numbers. Are those your personal results or those of a few people you know? You didn’t indicate where the “almost 80%” came from.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really believe that collectors as a group overrate their grading ability. The "crutch" provided with the advent of CAC has made it easier for those collectors to decide on what to submit for crossover.

• @MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

I’m confident that the figures you reported aren’t indicative of the overall numbers. Are those your personal results or those of a few people you know? You didn’t indicate where the “almost 80%” came from.

My personal results. 80% (mostly $20).

• @Maywood said:
    I really believe that collectors as a group overrate their grading ability. The "crutch" provided with the advent of CAC has made it easier for those collectors to decide on what to submit for crossover.

None of those 80% crossover rate were CAC-ed.

• @lermish said:

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

Agreed

EDIT: Source https://www.pcgs.com/statistics

WOW ! Thank you for that objective piece of statistics. I was very lucky then. @lermish What was the date of these data ?

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Presumably 8/25-9/24 or something similar. Possibly they only update at month end and it is for August.

But I just pulled it from the stats page moments ago.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume that data includes ANACS crossover attempts as well. Not a straight comparison of NGC to PCGS.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1, my reply was predicated on your quoted 80% being an overall number and not your own personal results. Just the same, I hold that CAC has been a great aid in submitters deciding what to attempt a crossover with.

@PerryHall said:
    I'd like to see the stats for PCGS coins crossing to NGC.

I have no idea how this number was generated or if it was just pulled from someone's nether regions but it is the only thing I could find as NGC doesn't publish their stats (at least I couldn't find them)

This is from thenumistacker.com

• @PerryHall said:

Why would anybody do that ? why would you try to cross a PCGS to an NGC ?

• @pcgscacgold said:
    I assume that data includes ANACS crossover attempts as well. Not a straight comparison of NGC to PCGS.

ANACS would be a very small number, wouldn't it be ?

• @Maywood said:
    @abdelmeg1, my reply was predicated on your quoted 80% being an overall number and not your own personal results. Just the same, I hold that CAC has been a great aid in submitters deciding what to attempt a crossover with.

You think some people would attempt to cross an NGC coin with a CAC sticker to receive a PCGS coin (same grade, with NO CAC sticker) ? is there a $$$ reason to do that ?

• @PerryHall said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

@PerryHall said:

Why would anyone cross a coin from NGC to PCGS?

Because, and correct me if I am wrong, the resale value of a PCGS coin is usually higher than the NGC resale value for the SAME coin. I guess if someone is sure that a coin will upgrade at NGC (and not at PCGS), that may be a reason to cross from PCGS to NGC (but How can anyone be sure of that ). Feel free to correct me.

• gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

The main resason for crossing from NGC to PCGS is the PCGS registry which is much more active than the NGC.

• abdelmeg1abdelmeg1 Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited September 25, 2022 9:50AM

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

@Maywood said:

You think some people would attempt to cross an NGC coin with a CAC sticker to receive a PCGS coin (same grade, with NO CAC sticker) ? is there a $$$ reason to do that ?

Yes, because with proper record keeping and documentation, they can usually get a CAC sticker applied to the PCGS holder.

Good point, I did not know that you can transfer the sticker between TPGs. But, the question remains, why would you trade a PCGS CAC for an NGC CAC ? (is there a financial reason for that?). "Of course, I am under the assumption that the resale value for PCGS is usually more that that of NGC for the same coin."

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting for PCGS cross over special so I can send lots of coins to cross.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1 said:

Perhaps because some collectors value good customer service more than the plastic only, or because some collectors like to collect without concern about trying to squeeze every last cent out of a sale. From your comments in this thread these may seem like odd concepts to you, but there are collectors out there that are not dedicated and married to the PCGS only mantra that is well represented here.

@gschwernk said:
    The main resason for crossing from NGC to PCGS is the PCGS registry which is much more active than the NGC.

Perhaps you would like to share your data to support your claim.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

ANACS would be a very small number, wouldn't it be ?

I would not assume this. I have had fantastic luck in crossing over. Having said that, I am very confident in my grading abilities and will often just crack them out instead.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would never worry about cross over. There’s little difference between the 2. I would take whatever money to be spent on your preferred plastic and buy more coins.
    I understand the registry argument but don’t personally care. I care about what I like and not too concerned about plastic or stickers. Ofcourse I don’t need to be number one anything. I’m quite content collecting what I like and plastic has little to do with it 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate white prongs. Interferes with my enjoyment of the coin, especially smaller denominations.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about black prongs. I don’t mind this look

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Would never worry about cross over. There’s little difference between the 2. I would take whatever money to be spent on your preferred plastic and buy more coins.
    I understand the registry argument but don’t personally care. I care about what I like and not too concerned about plastic or stickers. Ofcourse I don’t need to be number one anything. I’m quite content collecting what I like and plastic has little to do with it 😁

My feelings exactly. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2022 3:11PM

Just an independent big picture it’s all in the deal guy.

Not a crossover hobbyist or care about the holder, sticker game. I cherry-pick material for quality and beyond that just markup or simply cost plus. Use money saved playing cross game buy more stuff add to inventory or spend on dining / entertainment. Mostly do world, mods, and currency nowadays.

Am a PCGS submitter and prefer PCGS but all kind of deals come my way on the bourse. So have all 4 accepted by eBay but my ANACS / ICG material (agree with grades on mine anyhow) under $150 so not worth submittal cost, so just leave those as is / markup accordingly.

Just not a submitter unless raw or think upgrade - play to win not lose or tie lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I tried to cross a few items from NGC to PCGS and all came back one grade less. I will let you all draw your own conclusions. So this is something I won’t be bothering with again.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck to all. I have no need to cross coins over since I only buy PCGS coins.

edited September 25, 2022 3:17PM

@Elmhurst said:
    I tried to cross a few items from NGC to PCGS and all came back one grade less. I will let you all draw your own conclusions. So this is something I won’t be bothering with again.

You might very well have had the same results if you’d tried to cross a few coins from PCGS to NGC holders. I draw no conclusions, other than that you experience isn’t really surprising.
    When assessing coins inside holders for purposes of potential crossover, both companies tend to take a somewhat conservative approach.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

Agreed

And this only states that they crossed but not at same grade?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• @Elmhurst said:

If you sent them in their NGC holders, they cross at the same grade or not at all (unless you specifically specify that you will accept a lower grade). If you do not specify a grade, the default is to cross them at the same grade or not at all (DNC).

@lilolme said:

@lermish said:

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

Agreed

Correct

• abdelmeg1abdelmeg1 Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited September 25, 2022 3:45PM

@lilolme said:

@lermish said:

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

Agreed

They should cross at the same grade (or not at all), unless the submitter specify that he is willing to accept a lower grade (and why should anybody do that ?).

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1 said:

@lilolme said:

@lermish said:

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

Agreed

They should cross at the same grade (or not at all), unless the submitter specify that he is willing to accept a lower grade (and why should anybody do that ?).

Couldn't they cross at a higher grade?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• @PerryHall said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

@lilolme said:

@lermish said:

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

Agreed

Couldn't they cross at a higher grade?

Yes, they can RARELY. I had this happen 1 time 15 years ago. 1907 $10 indian ANACS au58 came back MS63 from PCGS !!!!

• @MFeld said:

@Elmhurst said:

You might very well have had the same results if you’d tried to cross a few coins from PCGS to NGC holders. I draw no conclusions, other than that you experience isn’t really surprising.
    When assessing coins inside holders for purposes of potential crossover, both companies tend to take a somewhat conservative approach.

Hi Mark: I am going to take your rationale here (which I strongly agree with) one step further. "When assessing coins inside holders for purposes of potential crossover, both companies tend to take a somewhat conservative approach " if you feel that way (and I personally do), can we extrapolate that, the coins which crossover can be somewhat undergraded, AND therefore may be considered for a regrade ?? I know it is all about the individual coin and all that, but what is your feeling and experience tell you ? (Sorry I am not able to suppress the statistician in me).

@abdelmeg1 said:

@MFeld said:

@Elmhurst said:

Hi Mark: I am going to take your rationale here (which I strongly agree with) one step further. "When assessing coins inside holders for purposes of potential crossover, both companies tend to take a somewhat conservative approach " if you feel that way (and I personally do), can we extrapolate that, the coins which crossover can be somewhat undergraded, AND therefore may be considered for a regrade ?? I know it is all about the individual coin and all that, but what is your feeling and experience tell you ? (Sorry I am not able to suppress the statistician in me).

No, I wouldn’t extrapolate that. Remember, the company which originally graded the coins was able to view them out of any holders. So unless they originally under-graded them, a crossover success shouldn’t be looked upon as “somewhat undergraded”.

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@abdelmeg1 said:

@lilolme said:

@lermish said:

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

Agreed

Some people only want PCGS for their collection and are willing to take a grade less to have that coin in a PCGS holder

edited September 25, 2022 5:26PM

@Walkerlover said:
    Some people only want PCGS for their collection and are willing to take a grade less to have that coin in a PCGS holder

@abdelmeg1 said:

I have two in crossover right now. I expect one to cross at the same or higher grade (but would be fine if it were lower) and one at lower grade.

The coin that I would accept at a lower grade is currently a 58 NGC. Here is why I am willing to accept a lower grade. I paid 55 money for it, it should be a 55, no one would pay 58 money for it based on its appearance (if I want to resell). Also, I participate in the set registry, I prefer PCGS holders bar none, and I love having a TV as my photo skills are nonexistent. (TVs are a great way for me to revisit my coins without having to drive to the bank!) I put that I would accept a minimum 55 grade if it crosses. If it doesn't cross at 55/58 I will sell it, lick my wounds, and buy another that better fits my goals.

The other coin, I said I would accept any straight grade, whether higher, lower, or the same. I really like that coin and don't care about the number on it but I do care about the other benefits listed above tied to having it in a PCGS holder.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet we've all seen under and over graded coins for both tpgs. Some people prefer a certain plastic over another and then there are those that choose coins of their liking regardless of the plastic. In my opinion, the only reason for crossovers, are for individuals who are only concerned about value. I would like to see comparisons of how much value was gained against how much was lost while attempting crossovers.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2022 7:18PM

If I had NGC coin w CAC would keep as is bc would price around CAC CPG - realize more money. Like 1926-S Peace Dollar that is MS65 CAC - CPG 1020 CAC but 910 non cac.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2022 9:01PM

@abdelmeg1 said:

@Maywood said:

Does that mean "None of those 80% crossover rate were CAC-ed" but all were submitted to CAC and failed?

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    I'll bet we've all seen under and over graded coins for both tpgs. Some people prefer a certain plastic over another and then there are those that choose coins of their liking regardless of the plastic. In my opinion, the only reason for crossovers, are for individuals who are only concerned about value. I would like to see comparisons of how much value was gained against how much was lost while attempting crossovers.

I don’t know about you but I’m concerned about value especially when I sell a coin.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several reasons that collectors submit for crossover. I suspect the main one is perceived increase in sales value (generally supported by evidence often reported here). I have not submitted any coins for crossover. I collect/buy what I like and only sell rarely (mainly bullion). If I were a dealer, I am sure I would consider doing the crossover dance, but the result in cash value would have to be significant - if achieved. Cheers, RickO

• @VanHalen said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

@Maywood said:

Does that mean "None of those 80% crossover rate were CAC-ed" but all were submitted to CAC and failed?

No. never submitted.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

@Maywood said:

Yes, because with proper record keeping and documentation, they can usually get a CAC sticker applied to the PCGS holder.

This is correct. Especially if you send a crossover ticket, an original image and /or the label they will resticker at a reduced cost.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Does it matter that some perceive NGC standards tightening and PCGS standards loosening ?

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Does it matter that some perceive NGC standards tightening and PCGS standards loosening ?

Those people are going to need to be more specific. When I compare my coins graded 15-20 years ago to ones graded now, the grading seems fairly consistent.

Most of us that judge/criticize TPG grading are still weaker graders than the worst of the professional graders, so it's tough to know who to believe.

It's worth having a discussion about precision vs accuracy. If PCGS is getting less precise, then they can holder more coins that would upgrade across the street without having have moved the "line" on where grades stand. The converse could also be true.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@abdelmeg1 said:

@PerryHall said:

Why would anyone cross a coin from NGC to PCGS?

Sarcasm, a form of humor.

The word sarcasm comes from the ancient Greek word sarkázein, which meant “to tear flesh.”

Vplite99

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file