Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seated Liberty Dollar for your Birthday!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2022 11:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a trip back in time when birthdays were celebrated with engraved dollars!

This is engraved to Edwin S. Belknap, born on August 18, 1863 during the Civil War. He died on March 20, 1930, aged 66 years old. It's interesting that an 1860-O would be selected.

His father, Moses Cook Belknap, was President of Highland National Bank.

His grandfather, Moses Higby Belknap, was President of Newburgh Corporation for 6 terms and a member of the Board of Trustees. He was also a founder of Newburgh High School.

I couldn't find a photo of Edwin, but here's a photo of his father, who likely had this engraved.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins.... Very interesting. A minor point... his age was 66 1/2, not 60.... Unless my brain is fogged. :D;) That photo is strange... appears to have been touched up at points. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2022 12:13PM

Some cool history there. B)

The 1860 O seated dollar is among my favorite issues, for that series, even though the mintage was high and it was saved in large numbers.

Yours, of course, is very unique-given the engraving.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Zoins.... Very interesting. A minor point... his age was 66 1/2, not 60.... Unless my brain is fogged. :D;) That photo is strange... appears to have been touched up at points. Cheers, RickO

D'oh! I saw that it was 66 from FindAGrave.com. It's fixed now! Thanks!

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ricko said:

I think you have the wrong century for Edwin's birthdate also. Should be 1863 and not 1963, but super cool history and thanks for posting @Zoins.

• Options

@Inspired70 said:

@Zoins said:

@ricko said:

I think you have the wrong century for Edwin's birthdate also. Should be 1863 and not 1963, but super cool history and thanks for posting @Zoins.

Double D'oh! That's fixed too. Thanks for the good eye!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as it pains me to see a hole and engraving on a coin like that, this one is an exception…

That is super cool! And your research really brings it to life, well done!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rule to the exception goes for me as well

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I prefer counterstamp pieces to engraved pieces, I like that one too! Cool!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice thoughtful gift. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file