Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Hallmark Movie featuring Valuable Coins!

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2022 3:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Secrets of Bella Vista recently shown on the Hallmark Channel featured 3 Class One 1804 Bust Collar Coins, which were supposedly worth over 4 million each. The story of the coins being secretly worn on a belt and hidden in a little treasure box was cute in a typical Hallmark style, and when finally discovered were handled like common change. These coins dated 1804 were minted in the 1830's...according to Wikipedia. The movie will be airing again tomorrow night, Saturday 9/24/22 in case anybody is interested in seeing it, on the Hallmark Channel if you have access to it.

Comments

• Looks like an interesting movie. I’m recording it to watch later

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it when it originally aired and was surprised by the coin theme. The movie was decent, typical hallmark. The nice thing is the movie is light on the "love" portion between the two leads, compared to most of these movies.

Plus, the female lead is into antiques instead of the run of the mill marketing executive or similar.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote fake. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I vote fake. ;)

Hard to tell from those pictures…….

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

The size of the 3 coins look too small to be dollars, unless the person has huge hands.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

This film looks interesting.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Susan B’s and the gold prez dollars reduced the size. Perhaps?😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:
    I vote fake. ;)

Hard to tell from those pictures…….

I couldn't get a clearer shot taken from the tv, but absolutely these would not be real.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not watch much TV... and never any of these 'movies'.... Nor do I watch sports. Just too many other activities and things to do. Long ago I tired of contrived plots and actors. If I want quiet time, it is usually a book. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2022 5:44AM

It looks lime lead to me no offence to anyone

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2022 5:55AM

I’ll pass - I will just cringe at how the coins are handled - like when the Hawaii Five-0 1913 V nickel was put in a newspaper vending machine 😫

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    I’ll pass - I will just cringe at how the coins are handled - like when the Hawaii Five-0 1913 V nickel was put in a newspaper vending machine 😫

I believe they used a stunt double nickel. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was being facetious.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife watches all the hallmarks, so of course I heard them talking about coins so decided to watch some. Typical hallmark acting.. but it did have planes and coins, which I like both. Handling the coins like that and having a “remove before flight” pitot tube cover on the plane while they were taxing to takeoff both had me cringing.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Connecticoin said:

I believe they used a stunt double nickel. ;)

I like how they let the thief examine the nickel out of the holder 😆

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the film over the weekend.

The actors definitely say "Bust Collar" coins and the captions also say that.
    I suppose that they meant "Bust Dollar".

The prop coins shown are too small to be silver dollars and are probably Chinese fakes.

Screen print from the film

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    I watched the film over the weekend.

The actors definitely say "Bust Collar" coins and the captions also say that.
    I suppose that they meant "Bust Dollar".

The prop coins shown are too small to be silver dollars and are probably Chinese fakes.

Screen print from the film

I was also thinking that, not knowing what a "Bust Collar" was, I was wondering if they did mean a bust dollar but wanted to change it up in a fictional story? And how did the coins wind up in Germany anyway? Oh well....she managed to save the orchards anyway!!! :)

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the person in the Hallmark movie that is handling the coins has clean fingernails (unlike some dirty and downright disgusting fingernails that we often see in EBay listing photos; and in Forum post photos). :)

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was also thinking that, not knowing what a "Bust Collar" was, I was wondering if they did mean a bust dollar but wanted to change it up in a fictional story? And how did the coins wind up in Germany anyway? Oh well....she managed to save the orchards anyway!!! :)

Oh man, spoiler alert!
    I had my wife record it, but I assumed the outcome was pretty predicted.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file