Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

My First Currency Purchases

Been in cards for years and also have dabbled in coins my entire life. I've always enjoyed looking at currency and I would rather have some colorful older notes but I've always wanted a $500 FRN. While they've had them before, I never paid much attention but for some reason I decided I needed one now. It's not the most beautiful note you will ever see but I pulled the trigger.

Couple weeks later I see they have another one but not as nice. Thought maybe I would need to put 2 of them back since I have two daughters. Since it wasn't as nice, I decided to hold off. That's when the shop owner said they just got in a #1k FRN.
Well, if you have a $500, might as well have a $1k, right? I think the price was actually amazing from what I see the typical note sell for on Ebay. It's not without it's issues but I'm happy to have it. The lower serial# was interesting to me as well.
I'll never own a $5k or $10k so these will satisfy my itch for the time being.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. You’re sure to get plenty of oohs and ahhs showing this pair off.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool. i just gotta save up for the thousand $ note yet. happy hunting

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 8:46AM

Is the 1000$ note not considered a low serial number adding extra value? Nice pick ups!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

congrats!! Very nice pair!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only owned one $1000 FRN and one $500 GC. I have neither now.

• Options

My former pair…

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

I have wanted to take a $1K note to a convenience store and present it for a small purchase to see what the clerk would say/do. Might be interesting. No, I would not complete the purchase with it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome notes! I’ve still never owned a large denomination before, maybe one of these days…

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Is the 1000$ note not considered a low serial number adding extra value? Nice pick ups!!!

Honestly, I don't know. I'm not really sure if this is considered low since it's not single or double digits.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

Honestly, I don't know. I'm not really sure if this is considered low since it's not single or double digits.

Maybe someone here can answer that question?

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Well, I don't think my $1k above will stay in my hands for long. My shop got in 2 MUCH nicer $1k notes and I will probably need to sell this one out to afford one of the other ones. I'll try to post a pic of it later!

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

Maybe someone here can answer that question?

Most collectors consider any 8-digit note with 5 leading zeros to be low serial number.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options

So, I sold my low serial $1k FRN and bought a nicer one and it's currently in encapsulation at PMG. I will post pics when that makes it way back home.
    In the meantime, picked up a couple notes yesterday at the LCS. The horseblanket will probably be given away as a gift, I was happy to get my first gold certificate.

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Looks great. The EPQ designation on the $1000 is not easy. And that $10 gold cert is super nice. You should have it graded too.

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest