Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 T1 Buffalo Nickel GTG ***NEW PHOTOS***

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2022 10:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Haven't done a GTG in a while, so give this one a try. It has beautiful toning, not necessarily showing in my pics.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike is pretty good. Looks cleaned. Don't like the obverse lines.

That said, MS-64.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

It's not a details grade. Fully graded MS. The lines on the obverse are scratches on holder.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 63, maybe 64.... I know I can be a tad critical.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 63 from the pics.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

I found these photos taken before grading with incandescent light which gave the golden hue.
    Jim

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

MS65 would be my shot at it. very clean overall only a very slight flat spot-on hip bone, not distracting. Great looking 13 type one.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2022 10:46AM

Here are the TV pics I forgot I had. One of the most beautiful reverses I have owned.
    Jim

• Options

I change my vote to 65

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    I change my vote to 65

Agreed.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 12:03PM

MS-65. Could the rim spots at about 10 o'clock change/affect the grade?

Young Numismatist

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say 65. First thoughts were 63 but that was from first photos. The other pics make it look much nicer.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-64

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I'll guess MS65

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going with 65+.

• Options

Thanks all for your replies. MS65 was what I was hoping for when I submitted it earlier this year, took 3 1/2 months of waiting and I got this....MS62! I have been more upset over grades before, mainly due to value, but this was just one I loved and wanted to encase it as a keeper. Yes, I understand I can still love the coin and not the holder, but bs this was a little ridiculous. I didn't offer photos of the holder as it is packaged to go to my buff buddy Joe to photograph as he does so well.
    Jim

• Options

Goes to show just how difficult it is to grade from photos.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Goes to show just how difficult it is to grade from photos.

That's for sure!!!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a ton of practice, but I think these are hard to grade, even in person.
    That’s a nice looking coin to me.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should make 64

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is my belief that this buffalo series is one of the very toughest to grade in the whole classic US series, sometimes making the 2 1/2 and 5 dollar Indian series grading seem a party. I have a few of the "teens" Buffs that are in 63 and 64 grade range as examples and really could see them anywhere from 62 to 65.
    Hairlines are relatively easy to see on these and others, strike issues abound and sometimes very tough to pick apart even mild wear from strike issues or when there are a combination of both. Yikes.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I too am forced to change my assessment to 65 based on the true view. The central regions are very well struck. I can’t judge the luster from these pics and that’s why I won’t go above 65.
    Nice type 1 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

A foot note. I should have stayed with my original 63🤣

• Options

You would have still been wrong.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file