Home Sports Talk
Options

Is The 2 Minute Drill A Joke?

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many times have we seen a team (any team), struggling the entire game, losing by 2, 3 or 4 touchdowns with less then 30 seconds left the game. The losing team gets the ball on their 10 yard line and goes 90 yards for a touchdown in 13 seconds.

What would your next question be??

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

the so called prevent defense.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    How many times have we seen a team (any team), struggling the entire game, losing by 2, 3 or 4 touchdowns with less then 30 seconds left the game. The losing team gets the ball on their 10 yard line and goes 90 yards for a touchdown in 13 seconds.

What would your next question be??

What was going through the coaching staff's minds yesterday ............Ask Cleveland, Baltimore, Las Vegas, all who were winning the game handily untill the end............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

over the years, rule changes have continually taken the bite out of defenses. 4th quarter comebacks used to be fairly rare. now, about any team can come back. the 2 minute drill is very common now.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

My point being, if you're losing by 2, 3 or 4 touchdowns, why "wait" until 30 seconds left in the game for a 2 minute drill and score a touchdown??

Why not do your fancy 2 minute drills in the 2nd, 3rd or beginning of 4th quarter?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    the so called prevent defense.

I agree 100%. How many times have you seen the "prevent defense" result in exactly what it was supposed to prevent? I call it the "pervert defense" or "perverted" if you are uncomfortable with the first word, because most of the time, it fails.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    My point being, if you're losing by 2, 3 or 4 touchdowns, why "wait" until 30 seconds left in the game for a 2 minute drill and score a touchdown??

Why not do your fancy 2 minute drills in the 2nd, 3rd or beginning of 4th quarter?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that what you are asking about and what most of the responses are saying differ. In response to your specific question, I believe there are two points that are important. First, at the end of games with a victory secured, a defense will be much easier to drive on. So you will see a team that floundered all game suddenly run a hurry up offense and succeed. It could be that the defensive starters were pulled. It could be that the defense does not want to risk injury. Etc. But there is a second point, and I believe this is the important one and the one you are asking about. Why do teams wait until it is too late to show a sense of urgency? And if that is your question, I concur. We see this a lot.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2022 2:03PM

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that what you are asking about and what most of the responses are saying differ. In response to your specific question, I believe there are two points that are important. First, at the end of games with a victory secured, a defense will be much easier to drive on. So you will see a team that floundered all game suddenly run a hurry up offense and succeed. It could be that the defensive starters were pulled. It could be that the defense does not want to risk injury. Etc. But there is a second point, and I believe this is the important one and the one you are asking about. Why do teams wait until it is too late to show a sense of urgency? And if that is your question, I concur. We see this a lot.

Yes, excellent points! Thank you!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Because the pace isn't sustainable for that long.

• Options
    edited September 21, 2022 6:24AM

@Tabe said:

@OAKSTAR said:

the 2012 Patriots used a no huddle/hurry up offense for the 2012 season. it was incredible. they set the record for most first downs and were the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring offense of all time. one game, they ran 89 offensive plays!!! it is a rare team that can sustain such a pace though. You need the right personel. the line needs to be in incredible physical shape and the QB needs to know the offense inside and out. Most of the year, Brady used one word playcalls.

it was super fun to watch. they had defenses backpedalling most of the year.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

@OAKSTAR said:

the 2012 Patriots used a no huddle/hurry up offense for the 2012 season. it was incredible. they set the record for most first downs and were the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring offense of all time. one game, they ran 89 offensive plays!!! it is a rare team that can sustain such a pace though. You need the right personel. the line needs to be in incredible physical shape and the QB needs to know the offense inside and out. Most of the year, Brady used one word playcalls.

it was super fun to watch. they had defenses backpedalling most of the year.

I will have to now go back and rewatch some of that. I didn't remember what year that was but I do remember the tempo with which we played. Looking back on things now, there is a lot to point out and enjoy from the non-SB years.

• Options

it was fun to watch. I seem to remember some of the talking heads discussing that it was also hard on our defense because we were not milking any clock at all. constantly getting off the field quick and our big guys on defense didnt have enough time to rest.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    it was fun to watch. I seem to remember some of the talking heads discussing that it was also hard on our defense because we were not milking any clock at all. constantly getting off the field quick and our big guys on defense didnt have enough time to rest.

That was the You mad, bro? year with Sherman I believe. Just a few years before Malcolm happened.