Home U.S. Coin Forum

Specific Gravity of US Gold Coins

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some handy info if you want to calculate the specific gravity of an alloy coin :)
from the NNP

more here - https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/527516?page=25

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a spread sheet to do the calcs

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston ... Thanks for the article and the spread sheet information. Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew Col. Kriz when I was working for ANACS. Let’s just say that we politely disagreed on a few things.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 7:12AM

@CaptHenway said:
    I knew Col. Kriz when I was working for ANACS. Let’s just say that we politely disagreed on a few things.

it can be annoying to have an antagonist but sometimes, a little fun.

the important question is, "is there anything important that was disagreed upon with the info provided here?"

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, when you alloy silver and copper the proportional calculations work.
    When you alloy gold and copper, they do not. There is something about the gold atoms that react to alloying differently.

He gives a theoretical calculation for the s.g. of 90% gold, 10% copper as 17.317. The coin world almanac charts on U.s. coin specifications give it at 17.16. THat almanac figure was derived from numerous actual s.g. tests. When I did s.g.'s on U.S. 90% gold I considered anything from 17.14 to 17.16 to be dead on.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    When you alloy gold and copper, they do not. There is something about the gold atoms that react to alloying differently.

He gives a theoretical calculation for the s.g. of 90% gold, 10% copper as 17.317. The coin world almanac charts on U.s. coin specifications give it at 17.16. THat almanac figure was derived from numerous actual s.g. tests. When I did s.g.'s on U.S. 90% gold I considered anything from 17.14 to 17.16 to be dead on.

I don't remember where, but I do recall reading of what you speak of above about gold and copper.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing this information. :)

FWIW, I found this to be insightful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file