Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sideways coin in proof set

Why would the dime on this 1983 s proof set be crooked in the case?

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2022 7:44AM

Sloppy quality control at the mint. It happens. You could probably pop that plastic case open and straighten it out yourself.....................very carefully!

Yours actually look great compared to some we have seen here over the years.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

This happens during shipping or such. The coins turn in the holder. With single slabs you can usually tap it on your hand and rotate it back. In the multi holder, I’m not sure about how that works.
    Not unusual all in all. I have several just like yours. 😉🦫🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭

Drunk??

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just human variability. Placed in the holder and not noticed before closing. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look up!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

the case can be opened if you would like to put coin in the right position

• rodeo514rodeo514 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Thanks all
    Was hoping for a no s
    But no dice lol

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could just open the case and turn the coin straight.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Because the people that put them there are human. o:)

Because the people that put them there WERE human
    High Tech Robots at the San Francisco Mint
    https://youtu.be/BqEDQa0WGf4

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

on etsy?

Priceless

Frank

BHNC #203

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@tommy44 said:

High Tech Robots at the San Francisco Mint
    https://youtu.be/BqEDQa0WGf4

Does that mean they are no longer human? :p

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• rodeo514rodeo514 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Sloppy quality control at the mint. It happens. You could probably pop that plastic case open and straighten it out yourself.....................very carefully!

Yours actually look great compared to some we have seen here over the years.

Other than twisting the case I've never pryed one open.yikes

Stby.... @rodeo514

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

edited September 8, 2022 9:04PM

It's up to you @rodeo514 but it can be done. Don't twist it. I'd be very gentle and use cotton gloves when trying to straighten the coin. I would try and pop it out and turn it, rather then turn the coin while it's in the case.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a $4.50 set......just buy another.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said: the case can be opened if you would like to put coin in the right position

Advice to open the set isn't sound advice. Being a 1983 dated set it has been sonically sealed and will not simply reclose without an adhesive of some kind and that will almost certainly tone or otherwise damage the coins. The simple, snap together cases which can be easily opened didn't come into use until the SHQ's began in 1999.

The best course if you absolutely need that dime to be straight is to sell the set and buy another.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

@1630Boston said:

@tommy44 said:

Does that mean they are no longer human? :p

Good point :D

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are called, "Rattler Sets!"
    :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited September 9, 2022 8:52AM

Don't feel bad. Like I said, yours actually looks great. This one looks like it was put in with a screw driver! 😥 😫 🤬

Maybe it was a machine error! 😂 🤣

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I wouldn't buy that coin... it's got a spot

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Dime looks terrible! - it even has a spot.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

You think?!?! 😂 🤣

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the feeder fingers got hungry 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file